Comments on Pinnacle ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jerry Wright, Feb 18, 2002.

1. Jerry Wright

Jerry Wright Agent

Being a newbie to HT, I was curious after reading everything I could on this great forum, in just about every catagory, and could find little, if any, comments about Pinnacle speakers. I agree with all the comments about Bose being highly over rated and over priced. I have four Pinnacle gold mini monitors ($349.00/pr) as mains and surrounds in my 5.1 set-up and the sound is is fabulous in HT and in music. Excellant clarity and performance. Please guys, don't tell me that these are thought of as another Bose [​IMG] Any and all comments appreciated. Proud to be a member of this fine forum.

2. Rob Lloyd

Rob Lloyd Stunt Coordinator

I'm using those for my sides and 2 rears and they work great. I tried them as my fronts when I 1st got them and was impressed with the sound especially for size. I think they are a good bang-for-buck choice.

I'm sure others opinions will differ but if you think they sound good then that's all you really need to know.

If you ever decide to upgrade your fronts and center to larger matching speakers they will be right at home for all the surround duties you can throw at them.

3. Marty D.

Marty D. Agent

I am also a proud owner of Pinnacle speakers. My first pair was purchased 13 years ago. At the time I never heard of Pinnacle but I was very inpressed. Currently I have the mini's, gold center and gold towers for my 5.1 setup. (sony sub). However, in my room I need diffused rears and will be looking for a new line as Pinnacle does not make bi/di-polar speakers. I have been more than happy with these speakers. Granted, I don't listen to much music but for HT they have to be one of the best and most under appreciated bang for the buck speaker. For some reason though not many audio stores stock them. They seem to be available in the weirdest places like UBID, ebay and the now defuct 800.com. What is stranger is that the owners are kind of arogant. I had to replace the driver for an old PN8 model and knowing I had the full 5.1 setup they still charged me list. However, anyone can get a deal on this brand elsewhere.

From here I wouldn't upgrade unless it was leaps and bounds better like B&W. Even still I would try to relocate my Pinnacles to another room.

Don't let the low price make you think they are lesser quality. Most speakers above a certain level are essentially the same. Of course there are always the higher end exceptions. But I wouldn't know the difference to justify a tenflold premium. Ask anyone in sound engineering. The truth is always in the ears.

4. Jerry Wright

Jerry Wright Agent

5. Rob Lloyd

Rob Lloyd Stunt Coordinator

I'm not sure how the pricing compares but buy.com also carries them. I think they have speakers that mount in the corner for bi/di-polar surrounds. At least they did when I was looking at them a year ago.

6. Jimmy Kilgour

I'm a VERY happy owner of Pinnacle speakers- Classic Gold Aerogel Towers in the front,Classic Gold Mini-Center,and BabyBoomer sub (I have a pair of Polk LS/fx's for my surrounds since Pinnacle doesn't make dipole/bipoles.They match very well with the Pinnacles).

7. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

Long time Pinnacle owner here (PN6+'s). Bought them a few years ago at a PC Richards and liked the fact they were a Long Island product made in the USA.
    They have performed wonderfully for all these years and are still used as my mains in my HT. I always thought they were great with music but Movie Soundtracks also rock.
    I use 2 Velodyne subs and a Cambridge Soundworks Plus center channel and the HT does the job.
    JohnG[​IMG] Pinnacle

8. Cliff

Cliff Stunt Coordinator

One more thumbs up [​IMG] for Pinnacle speakers. I have three pairs of older bookshelf models (PN5+ and PN6+) and use them in small, two-channel systems. Very good sound, great value!
    Cliff

9. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

Pinnacles are quite reputable. And I'm also quite happy with my classic gold towers for the mains and the classic gold centre. Currently, I'm using the old Optimus LX-5's for surrounds but they will be evntually replaced by the mini monitors (buy.com has some great prices for these babies).

The 650's have gotten some outstanding reviews. If you can, I'd use the 650's for mains instead.

The folks at Pinnacle are smart. They push a few brands with minor model name changes to a few internet companies. I once called them up and spoke with one of their engineers who was very reluctant to divulge this. If if you go into a decent HI-FI store they will be at close to list price. I'm surprised that Dynamic Sound Systems are carrying everything at list price. Last year you could buy a pair of classic gold towers from egghead for $400!!

10. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

I've been a pinnacle owner for over 14 years !!!!..great products ....

11. Marty D.

Marty D. Agent

Jimmy, could you explain how the Polk's match the pinnacles. I am searching for rear surrounds and I have not even considered polks until now. How is the bass.

12. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i have some small bookshelf pinnacle (ac400 or something like that) that i'm using for my rear-speakers. i got them at fry's a while ago...i'm not even sure if they still carry them.

the only problem i had was when i moved. after i plugged them back in, i noticed one of them sounded funny. turns out the woofer got "stuck" somehow. a quick push with my finger and they were fine.

in any case, i am happy with these speakers and think they're a good investment.

13. Jimmy Kilgour

Marty,

The Polk LS/fx surrounds are a close timbre match with my Pinnacle's using my receiver's (Denon AVR5700)test tones as well as Avia's and with (more importantly)movies and multi-channel music.Bass is not a factor as I set the Polk's to "small" as they only go down to 80hz.