What's new

Comments on Paradigm Monitor Series Config (1 Viewer)

James*S*G

Auditioning
I'm looking to make a surround sound purchase in the next week or so.

I have listened to a variety of speakers and receivers. I narrowed it down to PSB Image series (FrL/R:4T, C:8C, RrL/R:2B, Sub: Sub5) and the Paradigm Monitor series (FrL/R:7's, C:CC370, RrL/R:Mini's, Sub: PS1000). I wanted towers for the fronts due to younger children in the family and my wife's view on esthetics.

The room they are going into is the main floor family room (13'x17' with a 9' ceiling) with the shorter distance between the front and rear walls. The viewing/listening area is 13'x13' due to a doorway on the front wall and a fireplace on the sidewall abutting the doorway.

I was going to match the speakers up with either a Yamaha RX-V1300 or a Pioneer Elite VSX-41TX and a Toshiba DVD player SD4800. With both receivers, I intend to run in 5.1 at this stage.

The system will be used for music and ht.

I prefer the Monitor series but also found few faults with the Image series.

Does anyone have a similar Paradigm config?

I've seen comments about the PS-1000/1200 subs and some preference for the PW-2200. I know on the Paradigm site, they include the PW-2200 in a config with the Monitor 7's. So I'm wondering if that should be considered?

I've had conflicting advice on Surrounds on stands (dipoles vs directional - single tweeter/single driver). My room has a bank of four windows on one side wall and a fireplace on the other one? There are too large openings on the front wall - one for a large floor to ceiling dooway and the other a large opening to the kitchen. To get a directional speaker in the right position I'd have to put it on a stand which I'm comfortable with. Do people put surrounds on stands? I'd be willing to mount them on the rear wall but have been told I'd lose much of their value due to the windows on one side and the large openings on the front wall.

Thanks,

James

GarryW

Stunt Coordinator
I would go for the PW2200 in your setup as the room size you have is pretty big. You'll get a better low end for HT with this sub and it will also work great for music too. I started out with M7's, CC-350, Mini's for surrounds with a Denon Reciever. I sold the MM and went with ADP-350s which worked better for mounting purposes, and delivered a much more enveloping sound. I ran my ADP-350's on stands until our new room was completed and they worked well, not as good though as the wall mount setup. Eventually, I upgraded my front's to Studio 60's, which are really great for 2 channel music.

I can't comment on the PSB's, but from what I've read they are suppposed to be an excellent buy too.

Shane G

Agent
I personally opted for the PW2200, it has the ability to reach down below 20hz, which many feel is necessary for hometheater. You probably should take a look at one, to avoid "upgradeitis". Depending on your budget/waf, you could also look at the Servo 15, but at almost twice the price of the PW2200, it was pretty hard to justify for myself. The PW2200 should not be that much of a price increase over the PS-1000.

Tyler DJW

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tyler
I have a similar setup with Monitor 9s, ADP370, CC370 and an SVS 2039PCi Subwoofer. I actually prefer the sound of the Monitor 7s over the 9s too.

I have my ADP370s mounted on Atacama Nexus stands (From Audio Advisor) because I'm unable to wall mount them. I have an openning on one side of the room and windows on the other, but I still find the enveloping sound of the ADPs favorable over direct radiating speakers. I would suggest these stands as they are really the tallest stands (40") I could find that could reliable support the weight of the ADP370s. I would also suggest looking into SVS subs as well... you'll find many great reviews on this site so I won't begin to go into it. I'm haven't personally auditioned the Paradigm subs myself so I can't compare. I'm also not familiar witht he PSB speakers so I can't really compare. If you can afford to, I would recommend the Studio line over the Monitor. I personally wish I saved $$ a little longer now to go with the Studios.

andrew.turner

Auditioning
I have the Monitor 7's, CC-370, Mini-monitors, and PW-2200 matched with a Denon 3802. I love all of these speakers. You should definitely match the PW-2200 with this setup over the PS1000. I have found the PW-2200 to be a perfect match for both music and movie enjoyment.

DonJ

Second Unit
I currently have the Monitor 9's CC370 Mini's and a PS1000 sub I would say go for the larger sub and I love the way my 9's sound. put I am takeing advantage of the Paradigm buy back policy and I going full studio next month. I will be getting the Studio 100's, 20's CC Studio and the PW2000. Grand total $1853.00 retail but i plan on getting it cheaper than taht.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks