What's new

Comments on my Bass Management writeup for my book (1 Viewer)

Marc Rochkind

Second Unit
I'm completing a book on home theater and have just written short section on bass management. I'd appreciate any comments. Thanks!

"When you have a subwoofer connected to the receiver, you can tell the receiver to cut off audio frequencies below a certain threshold (typically 80 Hz.) that would otherwise be sent to one of the speakers and instead send it to the subwoofer, which can do a much better job with them. This is called bass management. Receivers usually do it for Dolby Digital (which mandates it), DTS, and Dolby Surround/Pro Logic.

"You tell the receiver to manage the bass when you set it up by designating the speakers as “small,” regardless of their physical size. In effect, this means that, rather than get the full range of frequencies, they will get only those above 80 Hz. (or whatever the threshold is).

"Now for the bad news: There are two new high-performance audio technologies called SACD and DVD-Audio, and these are connected to the receiver via analog inputs that bypass the surround decoding that’s built into the receiver. Unfortunately, for most receivers, this also bypasses the bass management. If the SACD or DVD-Audio player doesn’t do bass management either, which is usually the case, they nobody’s doing it, and the subwoofer goes unused. The solution, short of replacing the receiver or the player, is to add a separate bass management component into the system, such as the $250 Outlaw Audio ICBM-1."

Marc Rochkind

Second Unit
Thanks, Alex! Great comments! Book will go to press in a month or so... I'll post something here about it.

Zbigniew

Stunt Coordinator
Marc,

it is mu understanding that Denon's 5803 will be able to perfrom bass management on SACD/DVD-A signals, digitizing them. Same goes for some more expensive pre/pros - Lexicon MC-12. In addition, Meridian and Denon will let you pass DVD-A from player to pre/pro/receiver in digital form, where you can do further processing.

It is coming, but slowly and costs a lot.

_zjt

Craig F

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig
I would omit the comma after "unfortunately".
The comma is correct. "for most receivers" is an add in phrase. You could remove it and the sentence would still be grammatically correct. This is the purpose of the commas.

I confer that bass management is starting to appear and that the book would be out of date very soon.

I would not use the world “threshold”. I would use the proper name “crossover” and explain what this means. I would also not say “typically 80 Hz”, this can vary quite a bit. Although THX mandates 80Hz, many do not use it. Especially in lower end units and HTBs, 100 and 120 Hz are common.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks