comments on 34" toshiba widescreen

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Geoffrey_A, Aug 18, 2002.

1. Geoffrey_A

Geoffrey_A Second Unit

I'm currently considering purchasing a 34" toshiba widescreen, and I'm wondering if anyone on the forum has one and what they think. There are a couple of concerns I have regarding wide screen tv's in general, the most pressing of which is the issue of burn in. When watching regular tv in windowboxed mode, will I eventually get a shadow on my widescreen viewing where the bars have been? Possibly a stupid question, but something I'd like to know. ANy comments on this or any other CRT widescreens would be most welcome.

2. Doug Pyle

Doug Pyle Second Unit

Doug
    I assume you mean the direct-view? I'm also interested in this question. In addition to Toshiba, I'm considering the new Sony 34" (XBR800 or XBR3, I believe the model numbers are/will be) as well as Panasonic. Since my current 4:3 has no burn-in from frequent letterbox viewing over the years, I wonder why the widescreen direct-view set should be any more vulnerable to sidewise letter-boxes displaying 4:3 material? Is burn-in primarily a projection display issue?

3. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Burn in is mostly visible with RPTV's

but I know for myself i watch at least 80% 4:3 material, so getting burn in is alot easier there i might put 5 hours a week on my tv watching letterboxed material, and 20 hours a week watching 4:3 that makes it 400% more likely to get burn in from 4:3 material, but it all depends on your viewing habits, and who knows that might take 2 years or 10

4. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Stunt Coordinator

Geoff,

I have the 34" Toshiba and like it a lot, but it isn't perfect. First, I don't use it for my main viewing, I have a 46" Mitsubishi as part of a home theater. The Toshiba is in my sitting room. I do have HD connected via a DTC-100 and transcoder, a VCR, and a cheap Apex DVD player. I have also used my Panasonic RP-91 with the TV just to see how it looks.

I think the TV is very good in most respects. First, it has several zoom modes for non HD material. So, even though there are people who will only watch 4:3 material with the gray bars on the sides, I happen to stretch most of what I watch with one of the different stretch modes. Even so, the likelihood of burn in on this set is not great. I have the brightness and contrast at about 60 which is said to be a good range for a direct view set (unlike the 40 or so for rear projection), and at this level you should not have a problem. Direct view sets are supposed to be much less likely to suffer from burn in. I haven't seen a problem, but at this point it's not likely that I would.

The picture is very good but no excellent. I sit about 8 feet away and most of the artifacts I'm going to mention aren't visible from there, but this is what I've noticed. There is a very subtle but noticeable convergence issue with one or two red pixels to the left of the main image at all four corners. It is most noticeable bottom right. To some extent this has been present on every model of this TV that I have seen (and I looked at a lot of them before and after I bought it)! It is not noticeable from where I sit, so I have not tried to get someone in to service it. (To be truthful, I'm afraid they'll mess it up and make it worse). There is a very slight parabola effect on both sides which has also been mentioned by others, only when watching in SD mode. This is correctable through the service menu. On mine it is so minimal and only on one side so that again I haven't gone into the service menu to correct it. The picture with a progressive DVD player is outstanding, but with an interlaced player I would say it is very good even though this TV does have a good line doubler and 3:2 pull down. I am a big believer in using the DVD player to zoom material. This TV doesn't "lock into full" the way my Mitsubishi does with a progressive signal, so you can use the TV to zoom a progressive signal. I think the picture looks better if the DVD player does it. The last issue is with HD material. There is a certain "blockiness" to the picture (this is the only term I can use to describe it) which I don't see on my Mitsubishi (also using a DTC-100). Again, from eight feet away, it is not noticeable.

So, overall it is a very good but not great TV. It is, however, much less than the comparable Sony or Panasonic, and comparing them side by side on numerous occasions, I still don't think I made the wrong choice. The Sony and Panasonic have also had convergence issues, and some that I've seen have had even more significant geometry issues. The set is also about to be replaced, and I have seen it significantly discounted here in the US.

SMK

5. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Steven, have you had your set professionally ISF calibrated by someone like Gregg Loewen? If you did go that route, by what percentage would you expect the picture quality to improve?

6. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I recently purchased a 34”, widescreen, direct view set and spent a very considerable amount of time comparing several, available models. In the end I had three on my short list: the Toshiba which you mention, the Sony 34XBR800 and a similar Panasonic (the model number escapes me at the moment).

I finally eliminated the Toshiba, as I thought that it did not have quite the picture quality of either the Panasonic or the Sony. I spent several hours comparing those two models in both a HD feed from a local station and using some selected DVDs (both color and B&W).

In all honesty I might today come to a different decision as to which had the best picture. It was that close. I mostly chose the Sony due to its DVI interface.

I did not worry so much about the black bars, as I believe it not to be a significant issue for CRT sets. And in any case, you get black bars of some type no matter if you have a 16:9, widescreen TV or a 4:3 set, when you view films (or TV programs) using a different aspect ratio. I watch movies on DVD from 1:1.33 to 1:2.35, so any TV will not fill the entire screen for every movie. Most of the TV we watch is 4:3, but some is 16:9 and I expect that the mix will tend to more 16:9 as time moves on.

You should get a set with an aspect ratio best suited for what you watch today, and what you think you will watch tomorrow.

7. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

I know i made a similar decision when buying my tv, i was looking at the 36" XBR, Tau, and Cinema series TV's and the picture quality was amazing on all three (I assume the same would hold true for the 34" sets or at least close. I personally felt that the picture quality difference did not justify the price difference, the toshiba is one hell of a bang for your buck.

8. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Anyone have any info on the new Toshiba 34" sets 34HD/HDX82 suposedly due out in September?
    Anyone know the difference between the HD and HDX models? Also, I know they will have DVI. Was the upconversion a factor with the direct view toshiba's as they were with the RPTV's? From what I have heard, the Panasonic and Sony had the better picture but the toshiba wasn't far behind. Now with the addition of DVI, the toshiba may pull ahead of the panasonic which doesn't have DVI.

9. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Jeff, I have heard the new Toshiba 34" model due out in September (the 82) will convert 480P signals to 540P. I heard this could bring about artifacts that aren't present on the present 81 version (as it lacks this feature). I'm not that learned as to why the new model does this (something about how it saves cost), but I've heard that the present model Toshiba will give a better picture than the one coming out, albeit without DVI. Somebody who knows more than I can chime in if I'm incorrect on anything.

I've been doing some research and it seems the Sony is the way to go here. Has a DVI connection that the Panasonic will lack and doesn't change the native signal like the Toshiba. Not sure if you can turn off the signal conversion feature on the Toshiba. If you can, it would be right back in the ballpark for what I'm looking for.

About 5 months away from a purchase of one of these babies.

10. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

I doubt the signal conversion can be turned off. It's doing that because 540p is the same as 1080i as far as a display device is concerned. This makes things simpler inside the television. The downside is that artifacts are introduced because the Toshiba is somehow "creating" 60 more lines of vertical resolution on each frame that didn't exist in the original source signal. It would have been better if they had made the standard to be 960i or better still 960p [​IMG]
    cheers,
    --tom

11. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Oh well, I'll still have to check it out when it gets released. I was hoping this set would do wonders and just be everything I hoped for in a set. I can't get the sony as it's too wide. I may have to settle for the 4x3 32" Sony HS or HV set. We'll see!

12. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Stunt Coordinator

Evan,

I have not had my TV ISF calibrated. The thing that bothers me most, the convergence issues, is not something an ISF calibrator can adjust. The other issues in my opinion are not worth the calibration, and there is no one in this area who I would trust to do the calibration.

SMK