What's new

Comments: Lord of the Rings documentaries on DVD (1 Viewer)

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I have noticed a bunch of DVDs in the stores
now on JRR Tolkien and The Lord of The Rings.
Of course, there is the National Geographic DVD
which hits stores this coming Tuesday (Feb 19),
which was done with the full cooperation of
the Peter Jackson films.
But there are others, like
Master of The Rings
and a few others on DVD that have come out as well.
Looking at the back of the cover for
Master of The Rings and
I wasn't terribly impressed...seemed more
like a "see the people who have been effected
by Tolkien's books" thing. Yawn.
But I did not see it, so I am not sure.
Has anyone seen any TOLKIEN, or Lord of the Rings
documentary DVDs, and can you tell us what they
are like?
Thanks!
Mark

Josh_Hill

Screenwriter
I have seen Master of the Rings. I picked it up at Sams for $8. Its a nice documentary. Has a lot of interviews with Tolkien. I havent seen the National Geographic one yet, but I want too.

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor
FYI, there are 2 Master of the Rings. One is called J.R.R. Tolkien : Master of the Rings : the definative guide to the world of the rings and the cover is a artist's rendition of the Pillars of the Kings. I got this one at Sam's for $8.99. It tries to look at LOTR from a scholarly viewpoint and not a fan based one. I really wouldnt say that it was definative, but it was an enjoyable 80 mins. I thought it wasnt too bad for $8.99 ;). The other is called Masters of the Rings : the unauthorized story behind LOTR. I dont have this one, but from what I've read it deals more with a fan based reaction to LOTR (the books) and a society that recreates Tolkien inspired battle sequences.
Addition: I'd also recommend, for whatever it's worth ;), to pick up the J.R.R. Tolkien Audio collection CD. It's from Caedmon and is from a tape Tolkien made in 1952 "that inspired him to continue his own quest to see his vision in print." Rather magical to have Tolkien read you selections from LOTR. It can be had for $16.95 at www.hamiltonbook.com. Cheers.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Both versions of the Tolkien Master etc. documentaries are reviewed at http://www.digitallyobsessed.com
The National Geographic program was pretty good, though it kept going off onto tangents unrelated to either the film or Tolkien. Does the DVD contain any additional footage?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks