Comments from those who have upgraded from reciever to a seperate pre/pro.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Barteaux, Jun 2, 2002.

1. David Barteaux

David Barteaux Stunt Coordinator

I am looking for initial impressions on the improvements, if any, that were noticed in sound quality specifically when you upgraded to a new pre/pro from a reciever. I am using a Denon 3801 as pre/pro which has most, if not all of the processing features of the Rotel 1066 or Outlaw 950. I would be interseted in upgrading now, but I may wait until newer pre/pros surpass the features of my 3801.
    Thanks

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

David are you presently using a seperate amp with the denon or using its internal amps? If you're using a seperate amp already the improvements will still be significant but not nearly as monumental as adding a seperate power amp as well as the pre amp. I've heard the denon 3801 as a pre amp in my old system and it was good but not as warm sounding as the 3300 I had been using and definatly not as good as my new rotel.

3. Mike_T_

Mike_T_ Stunt Coordinator

I just went from a Yamaha RX-V795 to the Rotel-1066 and notice a definate improvement. Music is twice as good, much bigger soundstage. The bass is tighter, it's all much smoother and more musical. Home Theater was the real suprise to me. Movies have a huge soundstage now, it's wide open across the room. The special effects are more distinct and beliveable. I'm using a 200W x5 Sherbourn amp as well. The jump to the amp using the receiver as a pre pro was a huge change for the better. The step up to a seperate pre amp brings out the detail and finesse of the sound, using the power of the amp. I'm sure your Denon sounds pretty good. You might not notice AS much of a change, however, you should demo a pre amp and see for yourself.
    Damn addiction.

4. Andrew_Ballew

Andrew_Ballew Second Unit

5. Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver Screenwriter

If you are looking to improve music performance primarily, you may want to consider a stereo preamp w/ HT bypass and a 2-ch amp.

6. David Barteaux

I'm using a Rotel 1095 amp with the Denon. And yes the move to aseperate amp was very noticeable[​IMG]

7. Michael Merrell

Michael Merrell Stunt Coordinator

I'm making a similar decision. I've picked up a Parasound 855A from ubid, and I'm trying to decide on my processor upgrade.

Do I get a receiver with pre-outs or a pre/pro? On the receiver side, I've whittled the list down to the Sony DA5ES. On the pre/pro side, the Rotel RSP-1066 is the contender. The pisser is that while I can get a demo of the Rotel (though not with a Parasound amp), I can't get a demo of the Sony with an external amp.

I want to determine whether the sound quality of the Rotel is $500 better than the slightly better features of the Sony. Different people will have different opinions, no doubt, since both $500 and sound preferences will vary in importance from person to person.

Perhaps I should go with the receiver, without demoing the Rotel. That way, I won't know what I'm missing.

--Mike

8. Ricky T

Ricky T Supporting Actor

I don't think you can generically compare prepros to receivers; you need to compare exact models to each other.

I have OWNED (ie, bought, setup, used) the following items IN MY SYSTEM on basically the same speakers and amps in the past 3 years (usually had 2, even 3, at the same time for a/b comparisons):
    Prepros = Sherwood 9080, HK Signature 2.0, Citation 7.0 and 5.0, Lexicon DC1 and MC1, Angstrom 200/205
    Decoders = Sony ep9es, denon avd2000, technics 500
    Receivers = HK AVR55, Nakamichi AV10, Onkyo 989

I probably forgot a couple. For straight 5.1 AC3/DTS playback and 2 channel dac performance, guess which one wins? A receiver: the Onkyo 989. But I prefer Lexicon and Logic7 and gave up some dynamics and resolution in going with the old DC1 for my HT playback. I have my separate preamp for my 2 channel music.

9. Andrew_Ballew

10. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

Andrew, which pre/pros did you have during that upgrade binge, and which unit did you prefer above all the rest?

11. Andrew_Ballew

12. David Barteaux

I used to own a Harmon Kardon AVR-80 THX Reciever (only prologic) which sounded much better than the Denon 3801 I traded it in for. The Denon sounds alot like comparison Andrew made with the 976.

"The best sounding of the bunch overall is definitely the 1066, with the 976 right on its heels. The 976 was a bit brighter than the 1066, and had some apparent problems with 754kbps DTS. The best way I can describe it is imagine an extreme emphasis on the treble, to the point where it begins to sound very, very digitalized and shrill."