What's new

Comments/Advice on the following JBL speakers which i am ready to order (1 Viewer)

Sanjay H

Agent
I am getting ready to order the following JBL speakers for my home theater:
Mains - JBL N38
Center - JBL S center
Surround - JBL N24
Subwoofer - PB10
First of all does anyone have the above package as their home theater. Secondly is it a problem if my center channel is "S" series and the rest of the speakers are "N"
series?? I have heard the "N" & the "S" center and i like the sound of the "S" center better. :confused:

LowellG

Stunt Coordinator
I don't have these speakers, but I have been reading allot about them and have listened to some of them at Circuit City.

The reason you like the S-Center better over the N is it's a 3-way and not a 2-way speaker. Go to JBL.com and read the specs. The S series is a higher end package over the N series. The only thing I don't like about either one is there size, but with that size come good sound.

The N38's you picked as mains are 3-way's as well. From what I have read, your front 3 speakers should match as much as possible. N38 and S-Center, both JBL 3-way's, it sounds to me like they should work.

Audiorewiew.com has serveral user reviews on all the JBL speakers. They all seem to do well. Many people there list their setup, you might trying reading some of the reveiws.

MichaelJ

Agent
Sanjay, I can only add that from my personal listening of these speakers in the store.I would choose the S-38 as to my ears they sounded the best and it is important that your speakers be timber matched across the front.I am not sure if it is that critical across the back. Good Listening Michael

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Each JBL Series, N & S respectably, is 'timbre matched' via the High Frequency Driver within each Series line & across the Entire Series line (from the lowest priced offering, to their top line model). So, to maintain the designed intent of 100% 'timbre matched' surround sound, JBL recommends that you mix and match speakers within the chosen Series.
If you like the sound of the S-Center, then choose the Fronts and Surrounds from JBL S-Series offering.
FYI: Northridge Series - High-Frequency Driver: 3/4" Titanium-laminate dome with EOS™ waveguide. (quotes from dba newsline)
The Studio Series' tweeter features JBL's latest-generation titanium drivers, with a dome and surround formed from a single lightweight, rigid titanium sheet for exceptional transient response and clarity and accurate reproduction of high frequencies up to 27kHz. The tweeter operates in conjunction with a unique Elliptical Oblate Spheroid™ (EOS) waveguide that delivers the same response off-axis as it does on-axis and directs sound toward the listening area, not off the side walls, for a wider soundfield with more precise imaging and localization. By virtually eliminating side-wall reflections and their resulting sonic colorations, this "room-friendly" design delivers more accurate sound that is closer to the real-life sound heard in the concert hall, and re-creates the acoustic environment captured on the original recording.
So many friends and relatives just marvel at the JBL NSP1's Dynamic seamless 360° effects @ REF Level from my DD/DTS 5.1 Demo & Movies! :)
Phil

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
I agree with Phil, you should go all N or S. I have the ND310's front and N-Center and N24's rear, it sounds great! Although I am selling them to change (just because I want to) they still sound excellent.

I'm upgrading to B&W all around, starting with 3 303's to start.

Mike Strassburg

Second Unit
I use the S center with a pair of G500's up front and love it. See if you can audition the S center with the other N speakers to see if timbre matching is really an issue.

Good luck...Mike

my setup is similar to what you are ordering.

2 N38's

2 N26's

1 n center

and 1 pb12

Bottom line: I love em! I think you should go with the n center and put the money twards the n26's

Hank_P

Second Unit
Go with the S center! I have the S center matched with some S312's. The three way center is much much better than the N center and you will NOT have a problem with the timbre matching. I auditioned both a long time and felt much better putting my money on what I thought sounded better.
Sanjay.. go with what you were going to order :emoji_thumbsup: , that is a good package and you will thoroghly enjoy it. I have listened to the JBL's a long time and really enjoy the sound from them and I hope you do too. :)

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
Definitely go all N's or all S's. I have:

Mains - ND310's

Center - N-Center

Surround - N26's

Subwoofer - PB12

I love the sound of these speakers and have ZERO complaints about them. That sub really makes a huge difference. I heard the S-Center too, but somehow it didn't sound right when I listened to all N's except the center. Later I found out JBL's intended for them to match each other.

I had heard mixed reviews about the JBL line, but I'm glad I listened to them all together and made my own decision, as I am very happy with them. Certainly not the best speakers, but not bad for $1350.

Jon_R

Stunt Coordinator
Ahhh.. I scrolled down and I thought, what? where is it?
where is it at??? :angry:
but then, I saw it.
Phil's post, they keep me going in these uncertain times.
:laugh:
Jon

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks