1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Commentary Tracks -- who listens?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nick Pudar, Apr 27, 2002.

1. Sam Hatch

Sam Hatch Stunt Coordinator

I also tend to check out the commentary track(s) immediately after viewing the film. But rather than work out, I tend to fill the time with another hobby -- looking at the cinematography!

Since the commentary is not constantly advancing plot, my eyes feel free to wander the frame and notice new things. I remember David Fincher complaining on the Fight Club track that a little appearance (by 'Ricky' in the hallway as Norton is ushered out of his job by security men) was universally missed by people. It wasn't important, but it was a detail nonetheless.

My thought is that he should be happy people are missing things like that. It means that even upon repeat viewings we are still wrapped up in the story and are drawn to the subject of the frame. But when listening to the commentaries, I can feel free to view the film from a different mindset -- and enjoy all of the framing and photographic details to a fuller extent whilst still soaking in all of the spoken information.

Bring on more commentaries!

2. Melson

Melson Agent

I don't know of a site with transcriptions of commentary tracks, but there is a site called DVD Tracks, where you can upload your OWN tracks. Last time I looked they had only ten tracks, but the idea is pretty cool.
    And for the record: I love commentary tracks!

3. Jakob_S

Jakob_S Stunt Coordinator

I have listened to very few commentaries. I think they destroy the movie actually. I like making my own analyzes of a movie and don't want the director who made the movie to say I'm wrong [​IMG]
    I do like and hear some commentaries though. For example I enjoyed the "Almost Famous" track with Cameron and his mom. Also I'm looking forward to hear Tom Cruise in "Jerry M.".
    One of my favorite movies of all time "Moulin Rouge" has 2 commentary tracks I think, but I simply love that movie so much to destroy it with listening to those tracks!

4. Randy_M

Randy_M Supporting Actor

Randy
    I also love commentary tracks, and listen to most of the ones on the discs I own...certainly some are better than others, but that's what the STOP key on your remote is for.

I tend to go more for the informal "fun" ones than the overly analytical or technical tracks.

5. Scott_MacD

Scott_MacD Supporting Actor

Melson, Thank you.. thank you.. and thank you again. [​IMG] I think I read Roger Ebert writing a column about these home-brew commentaries in an electronic magazine. Great idea! I would be interested in hearing people slander and insult their most hated movies. Far more entertaining than hearing people fawning over their favourite directors.

6. Dave Morton

Dave Morton Supporting Actor

Dave
    I've only listened to the Spinal Tap commentary. Otherwise, I don't seem to have the time for them. The workout idea sounds like it has good potential for this. Thanks Vince.

7. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

8. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I have yet to listen to commentary track. However, I will have some extra time on my hands soon and may try a few out.

-Andre F

9. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    That idea of recording commentary tracks is great! I never thought of that. Sounds perfect for the car, and I just got a new CD burner. [​IMG]

10. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

I rarely listen to commentaries nowadays, since I don't have the time.

I just got the Jerry Maguire SE and last night I got a chance to listen to Cameron Crowe's commentaries on Fast Times at Ridgemont High and Say Anything. I was surprised that the commentary for Fast Times went on long after the credits ended (almost 10 minutes!) and that Say Anything had a 20 minute intro before the movie! I've never heard of this in a commentary before. Looking forward to listening to the Jerry Maguire commentary tonight.

11. Vic_T

Vic_T Stunt Coordinator

I love commentaries. Any movie I care about enough to purchase, I would also want to hear more about, especially by the director himself. It is, of course, not always the case. Many directors are dry and about as interesting to listen to as a dead frog. But chances are, if you like the film they spent months of years working on, you'll probably like their comments about it.

Lately, I've noticed alot of commentary tracks are being recorded by the actors in the films. For some reason, they don't interest me at all. It doesn't appear to be any where near as intreging.

12. PeteD

PeteD Stunt Coordinator

Usually I'll watch a movie, then watch it again immediatly after with the commentary.

By far the worst commentary has to be that costume designer from Logan's Run. "We had this material upstairs, I cut a hole in it and voila it's a costume!"

Repeated over and over again for 2 hours, talk about being starved for content.

One I've watched the most must be John Carpenter's The Thing. There's something special about curling up with a bottle of J&B and listening to Kurt Russell and John Carpenter.

13. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

14. Derrick_Ellis

Derrick_Ellis Stunt Coordinator

Out of my 200+ collection, I've started to go back and listen to some of the commentaries. I like them the best when the actors are involved. I also like the explanation of special effects and so on. A lot of times you don't realize what mind blowing things had to happen while a film was being made. Most of the time it can make you appreciate the film that much more.

15. Nick Pudar

Nick Pudar Agent

This notion of recording the commentary track onto a CD to listen to in a car is a great idea. I have both a DVD player and a separate CD burner on my computer -- I will try to figure out how to do that. Well, um, maybe not -- it may take lnoger to figure that out than it would to just listen to the track!

The exercise idea is great! I've wired my basement with a video feed from my main HT setup, so this will be a snap. Now I have no excuses about the exercise part.

Thanks all,

Nick

16. Nick Pudar

Nick Pudar Agent

All right, now here is an embarrassing admission -- after all this discussion, it just dawned on me that my Pontiac Montana minivan which has a DVD player can be used to listen to commentary tracks while I drive. That is SO obvious! I have no idea how that never occurred to me before.
    Nick

17. Oscar

Oscar Second Unit

I love audio commentaries, though the less interesting one is on... WELL FOR ME THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A BORING COMMENTARY TRACK!!!!!!!.

18. paul_v

paul_v Second Unit

I usually listen to the commentary on specific scenes that I find interesting or memorable...like when Tibbs slaps that guy in "In the Heat of the Night".