1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Commentary Tracks -- who listens?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nick Pudar, Apr 27, 2002.

1. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    Matt, surely you've listened to TPM's commentary track! [​IMG]
    I hope you just forgot to list it! [​IMG]
    I've listened to that one and the Phantasm commentary track, and that's it. Both were very good.

2. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

They are a great feature, and for me it depends on the film and whether I'm in the mood to listen to it. Also, who all is participating makes all the difference.

3. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

I have never listened to a commentary track. I might listen to the Conan commentary this summer if I can find the time. [​IMG]

4. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I listen to almost all of them on my second viewing. Particularly those by Mr. Frankenheimer!

5. Danny Arvesen

Danny Arvesen Auditioning

I usually listen to the audio commentaries. I like listening to them, especially when the actors are a part of it. SE7EN and Fight Club, IMO, have good commentaries because of David Fincher (I love his personality, and he cusses a lot [​IMG]) I've listened to just about all the James Bond commentaries.
    DA

6. James Z

James Z Extra

Commentaries are my favorite DVD extra as well. It's almost like getting two DVDs for the price of one, if the commentary is any good at least. My favorite so far has been the excellent one on The Thing. I won't not buy a DVD of a film I like if it doesn't come with a commentary but I have recently been picking up editions of movies that I might not buy so quickly, primarily on the basis of a recommended commentary track.

7. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

I try to listen to all the commentaries I own eventually. For the most part, I love 'em!

8. JiM T

JiM T Stunt Coordinator

I always listen to commentaries, and would love to see a commentary review site. Heck, I'd be interested in writing for it! I make it a point to listen to every commentary on every DVD I own at least once. There's almost always at least one useful or interesting bit of info on every commentary track, and it's usually straight from the horse's mouth. It's a lot cheaper than film school, to boot! [​IMG]
    JiM T

9. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Always listen, generally my favorite extra

10. Dharmesh C

Dharmesh C Supporting Actor

Rarely listen to commentary tracks, but I do get disappointed if they are not on a DVD, I like to have the option. I've probably listened to 2 out of 60 discs. Maybe in 2 years time I'll listen to them. Same with the extras.

11. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

I love commenary tracks, though I have hundreds I haven't listened to yet.

I'd like to see a site with transcripts of commentarys. If I know the film well, the need to see the visuals while reading what was said is lessened. I'd like to print some out and read them on the bus or train. If anyone knows of such a site, please let me know. Thanks!

12. BrianKM

BrianKM Stunt Coordinator

13. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I listen to nearly every commentary track. They are amongst my favorite features, perhaps my ultimate favorite. The only ones I don't rush to listen to are those with participants who's prior chats I didn't enjoy (Burton).

Commentaries rock.

14. Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon Screenwriter

I try to usually watch a film first and then if it has a commentary track, rewatch the film with the commentary right away. I think I've done that at least once with most of the films I have, with the only ones I'm not anxious to hear those that are pure technical oriented.

15. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

Quote: The only ones I don't rush to listen to are those with participants who's prior chats I didn't enjoy (Burton).

I agree, I really was looking forward to Burtons commentary on "Sleepy Hollow" and boy was I disappointed. I gave up on it about half way through the film.

16. John Bryant

John Bryant Second Unit

According to Dvd Profiler, over 100 of my 167 dvd's have commentary tracks. I have probably only listened to about 5, but I do plan on getting to them all. Sometime. :b

17. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    I sometimes find that a good commentary track will really add something to an otherwise not-so-special movie. For instance, Jeepers Creepers was OK, but the commentary was really interesting about some of the issues they had filming it and how it was meant as a tribute to the old Universal monster movies, rather than as a modern slasher flick.

Of course, it had its fair share of "X was so great to work with!" babble, too. . .

18. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

Anyone know if there's a way to rip a commentary track to MP3?

I'm gonna be picking up a portable MP3 player soon, and I figure I could just as easily listen to a commentary track instead of music.

I spend 2 hours a day commuting to and from work, and I can think of worse ways of killing the time.

19. WilliamG

WilliamG Supporting Actor

I've listened to every commentary on the scant list of DVD's that I own (25 and growing) ... and just two weeks ago had an unpleasant experience with one. I had wanted to buy the Criterion Collection Armageddon, but rented it instead. I didn't bother watching the movie, but instead went right to the commentary. Things were interesting until Ben Affleck and Bruce Willis made their 'appearances'. It seemed like Affleck didn't really care-or even WANT-to be in the studio because of all the lame remarks that he made.
    Although his impression of Billy Bob Thorton's character Karl from Sling Blade was pretty funny.
    Needless to say that rental saved me the money on the actual purchase. I think I'd rather have the Criterion Collection "The Rock" instead.[​IMG]

20. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter