What's new

Commentary on the Simpson Disc Commentaries :) (1 Viewer)

Randall Dorr

Second Unit
About the whole Don't-show-the-actors-in-the-recording-studio thing: Does anyone remember several months before Season One came out? There was an online survey from Fox asking what people wanted to see on the Simpsons DVDs. I recall one of the questions to be "Would you like to see the voices being performed by the actors?" or some question along those lines. Another question I remember is if we would like to see clips of the Simpsons in foreign languages.

When the official announcment came, somebody at Fox(pretty sure it wasn't someone who worked on the show) said the DVDs would not have any footage of the actors performing the voices so as to keep the "mystique".

Then the reviews came out.
From DVDFile's review:
Other oddities include those bizarre Fox Foreign Language Clips - short 1-minute snippets in five languages, French, Spanish, Italian, Japanese and Portuguese. Weird and inconsequential, but worth a laugh if you find foreign languages inherently funny.
I just figured the survey showed people didn't want footage of the actors performing and did want foreign language clips.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Starting with episode 300, the Simpsons will be done on computer.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I wonder how drastically this will change the look of the show.
I don't think that it will look any different. I thought they already had switched to digital ink & paint until I heard otherwise on the season 2 commentary. All they are doing is scanning the pencil drawings into the computer and then coloring them, where before they traced the drawings onto the cel and then colored them with paint. (At least that's what they do on most modern 2D animation.)

It just makes things easier on the animators. They can change errors more easily and see the results of their work more quickly.

The foreign language clips were interesting the first time around (on the Season 1 set), but once was enough for me. They can leave the foreign language clips off of the rest of the season sets as far as I'm concerned. Especially when each episode already has an alternate language track.

Unless I missed them, I didn't see any deleted scenes in the season 2 set. Did they just not cut anything that season?

TedT

Second Unit
I do have one question, though. Does anybody know why John Swartzwelder hasn't done any commentaries? He's written the most episodes of any writer, and he gets alluded to in other commentaries from other writers. Perhaps he just doesn't want to do them.
I believe I remember them saying on the commentary for Season 1 that John Swartzwelder is a pretty eccentric person and is not interested in doing commentaries. I'm sure if they keep doing commentaries for each and every season (and I hope they do!), that he'll eventually show up on one of them! (Conan too!)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks