Commentary on the Simpson Disc Commentaries :)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DeathStar1, Aug 10, 2002.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

wow, Convoluted little title there, heh.

So far, I've only managed to get through four of them. But, two things that come to mind.

1)Halloween special. I really hope this was the only time they re-introduce themselves for each of the three segments. That got old real quick, and a little confusing to boot.

2)On the Dancin' Homer ep. I beleive it was Matt himself, who stated he found it annoying when fans would come up to him and ask that he sign a cell. Why would this annoy anyone? The only reason I could possibly think up... They remember all the work that went into creating that thing in the first place, and to put an inked signature on it would ruin any true value it might of once had.

Anyone else have any theories on this one?

2. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

Neil, pay more attention to Matt's story about signing the cells. He basically says they were all stolen from the studio by various employees. I can see why it irked him a bit.

The Halloween episode needs the commentary to be broken up in three segments because for each short a different group of writers and producers were involved, so it wouldn't make sense to have all of them sitting through all three stories and makes sense to shuffle them and reintroduce them.

3. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

>Neil, pay more attention to Matt's story about signing the cells. He basically says they were all stolen from the studio by various employees. I can see why it irked him a bit. >

Yep, I heard that part.

But I thought that he was refering to the cells of the first two seasons, and not the later eps. Surley more average fans would have been able to get ahold of them as time went on...

4. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

5. Alan_Horner

Alan_Horner Stunt Coordinator

At first I thought it was great that commentaries were offered for each episode, but it quickly became apparent that this was just simply too much for these folks. Not only do they start repeating themselves (okay, Matt -- Snowball II really is the ugliest cat in animation), but they often run out of things to say. That means you get to listen to them reacting to the show as they watch it for themselves. It's perfectly understandable, especially since the second season was ten years ago, so I'm not casting stones here. I just don't think commentaries for every episode -- as great as that might sound -- is terribly practical.
    And enough about Snowball II, Matt.

6. Jeremy Allin

Jeremy Allin Supporting Actor

Alan:

Excellent point.

I think that by season four, we'll start seeing less commentaries (or no commentaries at all) because Groening, the producers, the writers will have run out of things to say and simply reduce the commentaries to reactions to the jokes, or more of:

"Yeah, this was Nelson's 23rd appearance. He said 'Haw-Haw' a lot now. People were still getting a kick out of it."

Don't get me wrong. I love the commentaries. I've listened to every one of them. I just fear they'll run out of interesting things to say.

7. Craig_T

Craig_T Second Unit

I think Groening should not appear in later ones anyway because he was no longer as heavily involved in the show as the seasons went by. I'm sure they'll have different writers, producers, etc. for the later season commentaries.

8. Jeremy Allin

Jeremy Allin Supporting Actor

I noticed some different players were participating in some of the tracks for S2 commentaries. Groening and Al Jean (writer) were prominent though. Time will tell on this one.

9. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

After listening to 85% of the S2 commentaries, I am gettting the distinct feeling that Matt Groening wasn't very heavily involved in the day-to-day running of what is his show. He alludes to this in one of the S2 commentaries when he explains the difference between his work on Life in Hell and the Simpsons. About the only time Matt pipes up is when he explains the origin of something, never anything really specific for each episode. Al Jean and Mike Reiss seem to be the ones with the chock-full of anecdotes and everyone lavishes praise on uber-producer James Brooks for his 'Jimmies.' [​IMG]
    Whenever I think of the 'creator' of a show, I get a picture of J. Michael Straczynski. As in most things in life, I'm sure it varies. The Simpsons seems to be proof.
    P.S. What was the name of the episode that Matt took his name off of? For the life of me I can't remember it!

10. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

I've been enjoying the second season of commentaries more than the first. I find there is less dead silence in these ones and they seem better prepared with anectodes and stuff. Like they learned from their mistakes in the first season that commentaries aren't just showing up and watching the show will you talk, you need to prepare. This thread for example, the stealing of cels story made me laugh especially when the director admitted he had one of the cels that everyone was stealing [​IMG]
    The next 2 seasons will be nice to have commentaries for as well... maybe after that only a few here and there. Keep the other extras coming though!

11. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

You know what would be funny is if they start reading reviews of the episodes off of the simpsons usenet during the commentaries... Especially the negative reviews [​IMG]

12. James_Garner

James_Garner Stunt Coordinator

James Garner
    P.S. What was the name of the episode that Matt took his name off of? For the life of me I can't remember it!
    "A Star Is Burns" Matt only did that because Fox pimped the Simpsons to boost "The Critic" & Matt wanted to make the public realize that he had nothing to do with "The Critic"

13. Matt Giggey

Matt Giggey Stunt Coordinator

I have listened to them all and I really enjoyed them. I hope they continue doing a commentary for each episode.
    They did spend too much time "watching" the episodes, and they did repeat themselves sometimes, but I thought they provided enough interesting annecdotes to make it worthwhile.
    I wish I had commentaries for all the other episodes right now. [​IMG]

14. MikeB

MikeB Auditioning

Be sure to listen to the commentary for the music video, "Do the Bartman". It's located on Disc 4 in the Special Features.

You get to listen to Brad Bird tell about the "hardest project he's every done". Interesting stuff.

15. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    I just hope Conan O'Brien will join the commentary tracks for his episodes. What seasons did he write for?

16. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Yes, virtually all animation cels on the market are stolen. There are exceptions. I know there are several dealers that buy them in bulk from various studios. Some shows like "The Simpsons" DO NOT sell sells to the outside market, so this is the only way to get them. Considering they go to a LANDFILL after they're shot, I don't have too many qualms about picking up cels.

Most of Gatchaman(Battle of the Planets) is buried in Tatsunoko's backyard

17. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

>
    I think that by season four, we'll start seeing less commentaries (or no commentaries at all) because Groening, the producers, the writers will have run out of things to say and simply reduce the commentaries to reactions to the jokes, or more of:

>

Agreed on this. While this show wasn't a drama that truly had 'best eps', save the commentaries for the better episodes that people always ask questions on Season 4 on, for instance... Or clear up some mysteries on "Who Shot Mr.Burns..."

18. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

Like I said, I think shows that really have a bigger message would benefit more from commentaries. Or at least shows that have changed quite a bit. "X-Films, Buffy..."

The Simpsons is funny, but I can't imagine them having very interesting stuff to say on every single episode. I would like them to be more like, every other episode.

19. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk Screenwriter

Neil S. Bulk
    I think the commentaries are wonderful and hope that every episode continues to have them. Being a "Simpsons" fan from day one, I've seen all of the episodes many many times, and actually being able to watch them with something new going on is quite a treat.

Neil

20. Andrew Chong

Andrew Chong Supporting Actor

I also hope that future disc sets include commentaries throughout each episode.

I would love to hear Dan Castellaneta, Harry Shearer, Hank Azaria, Julie Kavner, Nancy Cartwright, Yeardley Smith, and even Kelsey Grammer reflect during their favourite episodes. As a special twist, what if they were to do so in character?