1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Commentaries: Has anyone ever done this?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Chuck Bogie, Aug 29, 2003.

1. Chuck Bogie

Chuck Bogie Second Unit

Consider this - a commentary in 5.1, with the front channels running the movie, and the back channels running the commentary...

One of the reasons I rarely watch commentaries is that I hate the "silent film with folks talking about what the folks are talking about on screen" bit...

2. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    The good commentaries are the ones like The Simpsons where the volume of the film drops out while people are talking, but when they go silent the film goes back up.

3. Kevin Leonard

Kevin Leonard Supporting Actor

4. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Screenwriter

Tell me about it, there's nothing worse than a commentary in which the director, writer, stars, etc. just talk about what's on screen and don't provide any real interaction. The audio commentary on Kino Video's DVD of the restored cut of "Metropolis" is just such an audio commentary - virtually all descriptions of on-screen action and no real meat.

If you want some good DVD audio commentaries, may I recommend the "Superman" SE DVD with Richard Donner and Tom Mankiewicz commenting on the film - very lively from start to finish! - and the multiple commentaries on the "Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring" 4-disc extended DVD. Can't get any better than that one! [​IMG]

For one of the funniest DVD audio commentaries around, check out "Jonah: A Veggie Tales Movie" and select the audio commentary with Larry and Mr. Lunt. That one is a hoot from start to finish! [​IMG]

5. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

6. TommyT

TommyT Stunt Coordinator

Tom

I thought those were great but there are better ones out there:

Se7en - New Line Plat - Freeman, Pitt, Fincher.
    Fight Club - Fincher, Norton, Pitt & Carter are great on this one.
    Godfather 1,2,3 - Coppola is interesting in every scene of all 3.

BUT, the best one I've heard for pure entertainment is definitely Abbott, Crampton, Sampson, Combs & Yuzna on Re-Animator (Mill Ed). Probably the funniest I've ever heard, (even funnier than Spinal Tap's). Even if the movie isn't your favorite the commentary is great!

7. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

8. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

The worst is when they don't even put any of the audio from the movie period! (i.e. Austin Powers) - There were points were Mike Myers was just watching what was going on, laughing and saying "That was a funny line" [​IMG]

9. KerryK

KerryK Stunt Coordinator

Mark, that happened to me with Oliver Stone on Natural Born Killers!

10. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

Another alternative that comes to mind is the use of text commentaries like those on the Star Trek SEs. Of course, that is too simple a solution for the powers that be at the Studios.

11. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    On Region 2 many dvds are being released with subtitled commentaries, and I love 'em!

I watch the film with normal soundtrack on and read the subtitles, recently I watched Ridley Scott's The Duellists with the subtitled commentary on and it was great, got all the facts I needed on the making of the film without losing the sound, another one was The Sum of all Fears, more please! [​IMG]

Of course there are commentaries where you want to hear the commentators to get that 'famous actors watching the film with you' effect, especially hysterically funny ones like This is Spinal Tap or Conan the Barbarian.[​IMG]

12. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

On the other hand I despise it when the film soundtrack is so loud as to obscure the commentators words (The Exorcist 25th has this problem in a few areas IMO.)

13. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

14. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    What about a guy who's running his DVD player through his TV speakers?

Remember, we can't assume a minimum technological setup and we can't bias toward it.

15. John Alderson

John Alderson Supporting Actor

One of the worst commentaries I've heard was Baird on Star Trek: Nemesis. He whispered throughout the whole thing as if he didn't want to disturb my watching of the movie! Blech.

16. Seymour Uranowitz

Seymour Uranowitz Stunt Coordinator

17. Shawn_Sek

Shawn_Sek Stunt Coordinator

someone mentioned Fight Club with Helena Bonham Carter, this is an example of the kind of commentary i hate. unless im wrong, Helena wasnt even with the guys watching the film, they piped in her few comments seperately. i prefer everyone in a room watching the film and not just previous comments overlayed the film.. thoroughly enjoyable commentary regardless of that small detail.

18. Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens Supporting Actor

I LOVE for a commentary to have the movie volume extremely low or completely off. I can't stand to hear the dialog in the movie, while watching a commentary. It's very distracting trying to concentrate on 8 different voices at the same time (if you have a group commentary, and then 2-3 people in the movie talking). Just mute the movie, so we can concentrate on what the person doing the commentary is talking about.

I hated the "Bloody Murder" commentary because the film dialog/score were SO loud that I couldn't even hear what was being said in the commentary.

19. Dave Simkiss

Dave Simkiss Stunt Coordinator

Dave Simkiss
    Kevin Smith commentaries are generally a laugh riot.

I also really enjoy John Carpenter commentaries, especially his commentary with Kurt Russle on the Thing. Can't wait to hear the commentry on the new Escape from NY 2 disker. I just hope that Escape from LA gets the same kind of treatment some day.

I actually fell asleep during Burtons Edward Scissor hands commentary. If they ever do a Batman commentary I pray to god that they put someone else with him.

20. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer