What's new

Comment/question with respect to "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon". (1 Viewer)

Bob Engleman

Stunt Coordinator
I watched this DVD last night for the 2nd time, but the 1st on my 32" Magnavox; the previous viewing had been via a 72" concave projection screen. The colors were stunning, and it's certainly easy to understand the awarding of an oscar for cinematography. Was this a matter of Warner's effort, the manner in which the film was shot, or both?

Bob Engleman

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It's a wonderful restoration by Warner but the credit for the film's beauty go, IMHO, not only to cinematographer Winton Hoch, but also to that visual poet John Ford, who at times bullied Hoch into shooting in conditions he objected to (the storm over the trail being a prime example)

It's a toss-up BTW whether the R1 is beaten slightly into second place by the German R2, though the differences are minimal. The latter features Philip Jenkinson's wonderful hour long interview with Ford as an extra.

Bob Engleman

Stunt Coordinator
Bob,

Thank you for stating your confusion. Unfortunately, I've found that as age's crept up on me, I tend to confuse myself.

I was wondering if the beautiful presentation of this DVD was due to WB's restoration, the original filming in technicolor, a combination of both, or another reason.

Thank you,
Bob Engleman

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The beauty of this DVD is due to:

A. The original three-strip RKO production.

B. Robert Gitt's restoration work via UCLA

C. A well-transferred film element by WB.

RAH

Bob Engleman

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks to all for sharing; it's certainly been an enlightening experience for me. Even though from a plot standpoint, I prefer "Fort Apache" & "Rio Grande", the pure pleasure of watching this movie has me at a loss for words.

Bob Engleman

Opi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Felix Wieme
I am willing to send the German DVD to a few people in the States as long as they are willing to return me the same favor. I'm looking for Malcolm X SE, Heat SE and a few Disney Animes from Myazaki :)
I hope I don't bend or break any rules of this forum by making this offer .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks