Comment On JVC S-VHS Player

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by ChuckSolo, Sep 5, 2003.

1. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

A couple of days ago my Sony VCR died and I went searching for a replacement. I currently own almost 400 VHS movies so I needed to find a good VCR. Circuit City had a JVC S-VHS VCR on sale for $80.00. I bought it and took it home and was surprised to see that it has an S-Video out connection. Since my current DVD player is using the component inputs on my TV I eagerly connected the VCR to the S-Video port on my Panasonic 36" TV. I tested the unit using the VHS version of "Gettysburg" and all I can say is the picture the VCR displayed on my TV was excellent. Although the picture was no where near as good as a DVD, it was appreciably better and sharper than the same movie played on either of my other two VCRs. Does anyone know if there are any pre-recoded movies available in the S-VHS format and where they can be purchased?

2. David Norman

David Norman Producer
    Supporter

Virtually none were ever produced. 10 years ago (???) a few titles were produced and sold, but the format never really took off as a prerecorded I assume in part due to the lack of backward compatibility since most VHS decks couldn't play them. It's interesting to see that the quasi-SVHS ability on VHS decks is fairly common now.

As far as i know there haven't been any SVHS movies released since that initial set.

3. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

They also cost more than the typical DVD.

These days, just use SVHS for cable and satellite recording. A tape format that pretty much retains most of the quality from the original source.

Regards

4. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

I love both of my S-VHS machines, JVC 3500 and 7600. Both machines are excellent ones. I find the 7600 to be the best with DNR/TBC Digital Noise Reduction, Time Base Corrector. This cleans up the color bleeding associated with VHS and S-VHS. S-vhs recording on S-VHS tape with DNR from a satellite is so close to the source you can't tell the difference. Enjoy.

5. videobruce

videobruce Stunt Coordinator

I don't know why you were surprised to see the Y/C connectors on that unit. It is a standard feature for S-VHS decks from day one. So standard some started to call them S-VHS connectors which they aren't. Now they are calles S-video or better yet Y/C which they are.

There are some programs available in S-VHS. Usually you have to request them or do a special order. I don't know of any movies that were done in S-VHS even though JVC makes a nice triple deck for S-VHS as they do for regular VHS.

The ET version of S-VHS as far as I know is a shortcut with very poor results using regular VHS tapes. The images are noisy and the benifits are little over regular VHS. Spend $ or $3 more and get S-VHS tapes. It is well worth it!