Comment my ongoing upgrade, pls

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jedd, Jul 19, 2002.

1. Jedd

Jedd Second Unit

Decided to upgrade my old P-III, so I made a list of what to buy:
    Athlon XP 1800+ 1.73GHz 3D (15days) $81
    Thermalright AX7 $28
    Silencer 8x8cm Ball Bearing Case Fan, 80mm $9
    ECS K7S5A, ATX, Socket A, LAN Retail (1yr) $59 (very tough question)
    Seagate Barracuda IV 80GB $90
    Radeon 8500 128MB DDR retail $160
    to keep:
    250W ATX
    PC-133 256
    M-Audio Delta 410
    Lite-on DVD
    to buy later:
    Black Hydraulic mid-tower ATX $52
    Enermax Ultra-Cool Fan $7
    Zalman ZM300A-APF $80
    ThermalTake Crystal Orb $13
    Now I need to chill out a bit and prepare some funds.
    What do you think, is it balanced or not?
    I had the hardest time choosing mobo, decided with ECS K7S5A because it's cheap, stable, supports PC-133 and it's not VIA [​IMG] , but maybe I'm completely wrong here.
    Radeon 8500 128MB probably doesn't fit in the whole picture, but from what I've read it's most important part for films and gaming, - the video card. As for work and office my current PIII is more then enough.

2. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Everything is good except that you are losing out on a good chunk of performance by sticking with the PC133 RAM. Ram right now is pretty cheap and you should get the PC1600, 2100, or 2700 models.(depending on what MB).

KyleS

3. Jedd

Jedd Second Unit

I know I'm loosing some (well, maybe more then this), but it's seems to me it's not a good time now to invest into memory, while there is no true 333 mobos out there.
    If I buy 333 it will work only as 266 on a new VIA or SIS chip-set. On the other hand I can't just buy 266 while there is 333 and everyone rave about it. [​IMG]
    Beginning of the next year they gonna switch it to 400 and have 400 bus support *rub*. So until then I'll stick with my good old PC-133. [​IMG]
    But it means I'm wasting money on K7S5A... damn it's hard to make a decision. [​IMG]

4. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

Check to see if your 250W PS is on the AMD approved list. Many 250's don't hold up when paired with an Athlon.

5. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

6. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

uh... I have had a 333 mobo in my computer for the last 3 months. I have the ECS K7S6A with 512MB of DDR333 PC2700 [​IMG] Good mobo... very stable (no LAN though... but that will only set you back ~$5 for a PCI LAN card if ya need one).
    [​IMG]

7. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Oh, for a power supply... I wouldn't skimp with any of those generic brands. It is running power to all of your components and it would be BAD if something went wrong with it.
    Get an Enermax 431 watt power supply. [​IMG] Mine has never given me any problems, it is very quiet (although that could be because of my 50dB 7000rpm Delta fan in the case [​IMG] ). And it has a double-fan design to help cool your case better.
    [​IMG]

8. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

Enermax is good as are PC Power & Cooling, Sparkle, some Enlight's and a few others. Good ventilation really helps most of these PS's. While most generic supplies are metal boxes with one or two rows of vents along part of it, most good ones are very well ventilated.

9. John*Jones

John*Jones Stunt Coordinator

I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but I built a similar AMD system, and they require alot of juice. I had a brand new 300W PSU die and it almost took my chip with it. I second Rob's recommendation...relaible brand and plenty of power.

10. Jedd

Jedd Second Unit

Do you want to say that two boards and one harddrive will consume more then 250W in Athlon system? Wow, AMD should be power hungry pal. As for PSU I like Zalman's new ZM300A-APF, it's dead quiet. [​IMG]

11. John*Jones

John*Jones Stunt Coordinator

Well, I do have 2 harddrives, 2 optical devices, ddr ram and an ati 8500. By no means do you have to get a 400W PSU. It may very well run just fine on 300W. However, it's always nice to have a little extra juice if you plan on adding power-hungry devices to your computer in the future. When I was doing alot of research on PSUs for my last system, I can't tell you how many people told me to play it safe and not to skimp. Of course, this is just my opinion. [​IMG]

12. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Althought the K7s5a MOBO can use either DDR or SD I'd be sure to use DDR. You should be able to get 256meg for around $40.

Please look at getting a BOXED processor. Unless you need to overclock?? the fan is made for that processor.

Don't forget the 3 years warranty as opposed to 15-30 days!!

13. Jedd

Jedd Second Unit

I'd like to wait till KT400 will hit the market and then get real 400-DDR and 400FSB mobo. (333 is fake and 266 already too old)

Boxed processors have 2 cons:
    - they are loud
    - they are expensive

14. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

15. Jedd

Jedd Second Unit

16. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Jedd,

If you are paying that much more for the retail boxes then maybe you should find somewhere else to shop for them. Sometimes there is a huge difference between the retail and OEM processors but that is usually when the chips first come out. A good ball bearing fan with a large heatsink for the new AMD's & P4's will run you between 10-25 dollars though.

I am a computer reseller and it only makes sense for me to buy retail when it is within a reasonable price difference simply for the extra warranty to cover me and my customers. I would think that like my customers most people that build computers would like the additional warranty since it is transferable.

KyleS

17. Jedd

Jedd Second Unit

No, It wasnt in my plan to buy a retail box, according to pricewatch it's cost +$25. Doesnt make any sense to buy it.
    As for good heatsinks they are Silverado and Swiftech MCX462U, all others are just satisfactory (but at least they don't cost $70+ [​IMG] )

18. Scott McC.

Scott McC. Stunt Coordinator

that HDD is a little slow, the WD800JB (w/8 megs of cache) is a hell of a lot faster, albeit louder, also, the R300 (Radeon 9700) is now the best videocard out there, and for $150, buy a GF4 Ti4200 and OC it, even at stock speeds it beats a Radeon 8500, also, ECS mobos suck ass, and you run the FSB and RAM asynchronously on KT333, you also hamstring your processor with anything less then DDR266 (PC-2100), buy an Asus A7v333 and 512 megs of corsair CAS 2 PC-2700 (DDR333) and live a better geek life

19. Jedd

Jedd Second Unit

Ok, lets see step by step (I'm arguing with myself mostly)
    I'm making silent HTPC, which means:
    1) good 2D picture quality
    2) good sound
    3) silence

1) Radeon 8500 128Mb wins hands down, for $130 shipped it's unbeatable. 9700 is cool but for $400.. no way.
    2) M-Audio Delta 410 - "the best of the best of the best, sir"
    3) silence = < 25dB
    The only silent HDD out there is Seagate, everything else just a jig saw (I would buy Maxtor for performance&quality btw)
    Silence also means big 80mm fan and heatsink with that kind of base, so CPU from the box just a waste. I picked up Thermalright because it has very good reviews on OCforum and Silencer fan because it gives the best airflow under 25dB.
    I know ECS suck ass, but it's the only mobo I know which support PC-133, DDR, ATA 100 and has AGP slot. But anyway I'll throw it out in a year for KT400 and DDR400. If I buy KT333 and DDR333 now it will be the same waste, even worse because it costs more, KT333 has FSB266 as a max so DDR333 is pointless. Unless I buy PC3200 which is DDR400.. that's a tough call.

20. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor