What's new

Commander in Chief ongoing thread (1 Viewer)

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I doubt if they will write that in to the script. I am sure they will be taking dramatic license with the constitution. I have pretty much given up on this show. It is just too predictable and one dimensional with POTUS and the Speaker.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Interesting that the Season 1 DVD set is announced the same day the show is effectively canceled.

Makes you wonder if they really will burn off the last 3 episodes over the summer, or just use them as enticements to buy the set...

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

The network has hours to fill and no financial interest in the DVDs - that money goes to the studio. They paid to use the episodes, they'll almost certainly do so.

Regards,

Joe

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, the studio owns the network.

And if ABC thinks that reruns of Boston Legal or America's Funniest Home Videos will draw more of an audience than Commander in Chief, they'll cut their losses.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Well, I'm not sure how much of a "success" it was. It attracted a huge initial audience thanks to unprecedented hype and wall-to-wall free publicity, and a big curiosity factor, but as soon as that wore off (which took about 3 weeks) the ratings started to slide and kept sliding. People who blame that on the show being off the air for long periods or changes in the production staff are confusing cause and effect. The hiatuses and the staff shake-ups were the result of ratings jitters and shakey survey and demographic numbers, not the cause of them. A lot of people gave the show a chance - most of them decided it wasn't worth sticking around for

Regards,

Joe

(Edited to correct the last clause in the first paragraph to include the word "not" :))

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Plus the show did get great reviews from critics, which is why I checked it out in the first place.

I thought CIC was mediocore, and definitely not as good as The West Wing.

I've enjoyed watching Geena Davis before, but this show just didn't do it for me.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I also thought it paled in comparison to The West Wing - even the post-Sorkin WW that had clearly lost much of its own steam. And I have also usually liked Geena Davis from Tootsie on (Cutthroat Island and The Long Kiss Goodnight are high on my list of guilty pleasures :)) But C-in-C was just a bad soap opera with political overtones and too many caricatures (or simply cliches) where there should have been characters.

Regards,

Joe

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
If it's another show where they've got an ownership stake, they're probably not limited in the amount of reruns they can show - if they decide to run with two hours of Lost each Wednesday, it probably won't be a big deal to get the rights for a third airing (if that's even necessary).

There's probably not a whole lot of point to burning-off any more - if a re-run of Lost will do better in April, it'll do better in June and it'll do better in July. The network probably has enough evergreen reruns, newsmagazines, John Stossell specials, and unscripted programming that they won't need to go to Commander in Chief reruns.

The only time that the network might "hold back" episodes like this is if someone at Disney calculated that the money gained by having unaired episodes on the DVD (that is, more people bought it because they wanted those last three episodes) outweighs the advertising money they'd get from the higher ratings new episodes on ABC in June versus more America's Funniest Home Videos, and sent it down the ladder. I think there's not nearly enough data to make that calculation right now.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member

I agree, wholeheartedly, with that assessment of this show. I actually thought it worked better when they were focusing on the family issues, but maybe they ran out of ideas. Too bad though, I thought the show had potential.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter

I loved A League of Their Own and liked Thelma & Louise and An Accidental Tourist. She was my favorite actress, when I used to be a movie buff.

Also, I thought the show stole some episodes from TWW, like the North Korea one.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, the lame-duck inaugural season plods along in the summer episode burn-offs tonight in the 10 p.m. EDT timeslot on ABC.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I liked the lame duck episode. Perhaps a bit exaggerated in how Donald Sutherland took advantage of the situation. But the advisors make me think of the real life situations where the public perceptions of the President are so important to control.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks