What's new

Coming To America - - Who else believes this is one of the best comedies ever made? (1 Viewer)

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
I just got to see this film in its entirety the other night, and I swear I could have died laughing! Eddie Murphy is brilliant as is Arsenio Hall. Who else feels that this film is one of the best comedies of all time?

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
This film is definitely hilarious. I can agree that I was in stitches the whole time.

Paul Jenkins

Supporting Actor
Doesn't rank in my top 10 funny movies, but anything with Eric LaSalle with that much Afro Sheen can't be bad! :D

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I'm not real big on comedies but I'm hard pressed to come up with one that is more enjoyable than Coming to America. It's a classic in the sense that in 2052 my grandkids will be wondering what's so funny about Soul Glo :)

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
CtA is one of my favourite comedies, too. I loved how the romantic aspect between Murphy and Shari Headley was developed, and the side-splitting antics of Arsenio. It's a pity he and Eddie haven't done another movie together (except for Harlem Nights, but I believe Arsenio's was a cameo).

Anyway, wishing that Paramount would have revisited and done an anamorphic version in conjunction with all the Murphy releases this week.

Joe

AJ Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
AJ
I love this movie. Eddie Murphy did so many funny characters. The singer Randy Watson is definitely my favorite. My "Sexual Chocolate" imitation never fails to make my girlfriend laugh. Arsenio Hall's facial expressions throughout the movie are very funny in a subtle way...my favorite expression is when Louie Anderson is talking about working his way up through McDowell's lmao. Eric Lasalle was great also with the Soul Glo. Too many funny scenes in this movie. I'll have to watch it again soon.

Jeff Pounds

Second Unit
"Just let your souuuuuuullll gloowwwww...."

Defintily in my top 10....

The barber shop Joe Louis - Rocky Marciano - Cassius Clay/Ali arguements are classic.

"Joe Louis was 147 years old when he fought Rocky Marciano."

Eve T

Supporting Actor
Some of my favorite lines in this movie are:
I love the Lord...and if loving the Lord is wrong...I don't wanna be right!
__________________________________________________ ________
He got Daniel out the Lion's den, he got Gilligaaaaaaan off the island.
__________________________________________________ ________
And who can forget the soul glow commercial? Let your soulllllll glowwwwwww. ;)
__________________________________________________ _________
Yes this is one funny movie, I haven't seen it in some time now and maybe it deserves another viewing in the near future.
Peace,
Eve

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
"***DAMN boy, what's that, some kind of weave or something?"
"Just make it nice and neat. Snip! That'll be $8."
"Joe Louis was 75 years old when they fought. I don't know how old he was but he got his ass whipped."
:laugh::laugh:

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
Rocky Marciano. . . Rocky Marciano. . . Every time we talk about boxing, the white boy's gotta pull Rocky Marciano out his @ss.

He did beat Joe Louis.

and

That's beautiful. What is that, velvet?

StephenA

Screenwriter
My favorite part is when Eddie Murphy's character is out on the balcony after his first night in NYC. He says hello or something and some guy says "F*ck you!", and he says "Yes, yes, and f*ck you too.", not knowing what it means.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
It is a funny movie.

I have only seen parts of it, so I can't say it's the best.

Some Like It Hot, Arsenic and Old Lace and The Producers are to me, the greatest comedies ever made.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
The barber shop portions are very funny indeed. Hard to believe just about everybody in there was played by Murphy.

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
2nd Barber -- "If a man wants to be called Muhammad Ali, damn it, we should respect his wishes and CALL the man Muhammad ALI!!"
1st Barber -- "Naaahh, no. He'll always be Clay to me!"
*snicker*
I've already seen this film three times since I got it. I literally can't stop laughing at this movie! :D

DanaA

Screenwriter
Happy you posted this. For a long while, I've felt alone in my appreciation for this movie. Eddie Murphy is not just funny in his movies, but, at his best, becomes a real human being as in Trading Places. Too many comedies are filled with one dimensional characters.

CoreyII

Second Unit
Coming to America and Boomerang are Eddie Murphy's two best films. Boomerang is very underated.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks