What's new

Coming Soon From Olive Films (3 Viewers)

Brandon Gantt

Second Unit
bgart13 said:
I hope an announcement for DR. TERROR happens soon, as it is Peter Cushing's centennial celebration this year (and is rightfully being celebrated in the UK).
Yeah, I've been waiting for this as well.

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
August Titles - Olive Films

Attachments

• august.jpg
    august.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 47

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Thanks, looking forward to both of those.

Is that it for August? Kind of a lean month compared to the previous Spring and Summer months if so.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Definitely in for KISS TOMORROW GOODBYE, though wish it had a better cover. It's a great Cagney though very violent, even more so than WHITE HEAT. Cagney hadn't had a hit in a few years with his independent production company so he reverted back to playing a gangster again and try to get some of his money and fans back. The indie stuff he and has brother did was very interesting, but it's easy to see why none of them made much of an impression with audiences. I would love to see JOHNNY COME LATELY come out in a nice DVD/Blu, but not sure who owns that one now. Paging Allen Hollis!

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Professor Echo said:
Definitely in for KISS TOMORROW GOODBYE, though wish it had a better cover. It's a great Cagney though very violent, even more so than WHITE HEAT. Cagney hadn't had a hit in a few years with his independent production company so he reverted back to playing a gangster again and try to get some of his money and fans back. The indie stuff he and has brother did was very interesting, but it's easy to see why none of them made much of an impression with audiences. I would love to see JOHNNY COME LATELY come out in a nice DVD/Blu, but not sure who owns that one now. Paging Allen Hollis!
IMDB says its Olive who have the rights to release it.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Professor Echo said:
I would love to see JOHNNY COME LATELY come out in a nice DVD/Blu, but not sure who owns that one now. Paging Allen Hollis!
Foxy is right. Olive has it on it's list. Cagney produced it during his second independent phase (1942-1948) with his brother. The pictures were released by United Artists and JOHNNY COME LATELY was the first of three films. BLOOD ON THE SUN being the second. After the poor returns of the third film, THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE, he folded the company and went back to Warner's. Distribution of the films went to Republic and could have been an out right purchase of the titles to help Cagney pay off debts. So that's the history and why Olive has it. Looking forward to it also.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Thanks for the info on those films. Forgot that Johnny Come Lately was on the Olive schedule. More Cagney is always welcome.

Unfortunately, of those produced by Cagney's independent production company, Blood on the Sun was recently dropped from the schedule.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Im glad to see the Noirs coming out here and there, but the one I want the most is still not out Beware My Lovely...its a great film and cast and only had a VHS release...I was hoping a title that hasn't even had a DVD release yet in the USA would go to the front of the line
I wonder what determines what goes out when ?

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
David Steigman said:
..... but the one I want the most is still not out Beware My Lovely...its a great film and cast and only had a VHS release
Actually Beware My Love saw a laser disc release as well.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Thomas T said:
Actually Beware My Love saw a laser disc release as well.
Interesting...I didnt follow the laserdisc line at all back in the day. Still hasnt had a DVD release though :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
I don't know what replacement titles have been acquired by Olive for the ones dropped from the schedule, but I'm hoping that one of them is THE PSYCHOPATH. It has turned up on TCM from time to time - albeit in a pan-and-scan version and it would make a nice double bill with DR. TERROR'S HOUSE OF HORRORS (which is also directed by Freddie Francis). If so, here's hoping that the film elements don't get in the way.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
MisterLime said:
September Titles - Olive Films - More to come...
Is Escape from Zahrain the one where James Mason makes an uncredited guest appearance? ("Oh, not my Scotch")

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks