What's new

Coming Soon From Olive Films (1 Viewer)

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
MisterLime said:
Olive Films - July Release - More to come...
I'm glad to see Olive has gotten around to the true classics in the library it licensed. Any chance for a 50s sci-fi themed box?

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Also, from where I sit (which is pretty far away from the action), it sure seems like studios - as well as distribution outfits like Olive - really put up a guard against welcoming any kind of informative assistance from just about anyone on the "outside".

I've found that can even be taken so far as to reject mail from consumers, as witnessed by the Sony return-to-sender debacle, immediately following them telling Ron Epstein to have us send our letters of interest to such and such an address.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
By "outside", of course, I mean anyone outside of their own walls. Our dear Bob here, for example, is hardly an "outsider"! :)

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Robert Crawford said:
He is to them.
Then they should set aside the five minutes (or less) it would take to find out that Bob knows of what he speaks, because not doing so (a) means that they're failing to present their films correctly and (b) by following that line they are signally damaging their credibility with us, the consumer.Personally, I'm pretty tired of the 'it was shot in Europe, it must be 1.66:1' canard.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
Technical question: Is it practical to use an existing unmatted Blu-Ray master - or whatever the kind of file it is that a licensee like Olive would get from the licensing studio - to create a properly-matted version for Blu-Ray replication? Or would it be necessary or desirable to use a farther-upstream source?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
John Hodson said:
Then they should set aside the five minutes (or less) it would take to find out that Bob knows of what he speaks, because not doing so (a) means that they're failing to present their films correctly and (b) by following that line they are signally damaging their credibility with us, the consumer.Personally, I'm pretty tired of the 'it was shot in Europe, it must be 1.66:1' canard.
Have you been buying these Olive BD releases?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
John Hodson said:
Several. But it doesn't make 1.66:1 the 'original aspect ratio' of this particular upcoming title.
Did I say it did? I didn't know you had a BD player that played these "A" Region only discs from Olive.

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
EddieLarkin said:
Out of curiosity, do you know the reason why Johnny Guitar, Hell's Half Acre and The Atomic Kid were all released in the wrong aspect ratio? Was it a decision by people at Olive? Or more of a case of 1.33:1 transfers being the only ones available, and Olive not wanting to manipulate them?
The original master for many of these films are 1.37, because that's how they were shot. You actually need to crop off some of the image to create the supposed intended ratio. If you watch JG, you'll see the actor's heads are sometimes touching the top of the frame and releasing it at 1.78 would've cropped off the tops of some key images and you see much more in the 1.37 version. JG has been screened in theaters at 1.37 because it looks better. Olive offered both ratios for their release of THE TRAP and created 1.78 and 1.85 masters for no-brainers like PRIVATE HELL 36, SUCH GOOD FRIENDS, CRASHOUT, just to name a few. But thought too much would be lost with HELL'S HALF ACRE, THE ATOMIC KID and JOHNNY GUITAR and decided to release these supposed 1.66 or 1.85 titles at 1.37:1.

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Olive Films - July Release - More to come...

Attachments

• GodLA.jpg
    GodLA.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 388

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Bob Furmanek said:
FIRE MAIDENS began filming on September 27, 1955 at MGM studios in London.

The correct aspect ratio is 1.75:1.

Why doesn't anybody ask before making these decisions?

Bob Furmanek
3-D Film Archive
http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/home/widescreen-documentation
You are wrong. The original negative of this film is 1.66:1 - The studio researched this and found out that the intended ratio for this UK/US production was 1.66 - It might've been screened at 1.77 or 1.85, but that doesn't mean that was the intended ratio. Not everything on the web is true.

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
John Hodson said:
I'm really curious as to why Olive simply refuses to engage with Bob Furmanek on these issues? He's an expert, he's done the research and he's *here*...
I think there are enough experts at these mastering houses and studios. Again, the correct ratio is 1.66:1

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks