What's new

Coming Soon From Olive Films (1 Viewer)

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Richard--W said:
Peter Cushing remains a star. He sells discs. Wouldn't it be nice if one the home video distributors who controls his films exploited his 100th birthday with a set of titles for the fans with money to spend.
Their probably planning to miss it by a year or two as was done with Vincent Price.

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Ken_Martinez said:
I hate to sound like a broken record, but are there any tidbits to be shared about Betty Boop or any other animated material?
First volume of 12 shorts to be announced soon.

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
Very good to hear about the aspect ratios.

Also nice to know Betty is coming soon. I don't think many were expecting them to come out as slowly as 12 per set (single disc, single layer?) but if that's what Olive needs to do to ensure their viability, so be it.

What I'm more interested in is to know if Olive have come around to the realisation yet how much more these toons would be worth in an uncensored, chronological and most importantly, complete set? Last I heard they were skipping over around 30-40 shorts because they are PD, and so presumably not worth the time?

I think I speak for many when I say I'm comparatively unenthused about some half done non-PD only set; if this first disc was the beginning of a complete set I'd pre-order day one. The PD stuff that is available on DVD is usually from poor source elements, sometimes censored. To leave all those shorts to the wind because "they are already on DVD" would be majorly disappointing.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
MasterLime, is there any chance Court-Martial of Billy Mitchell will have the original stereo sound, or are the stereo tracks lost?

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
EddieLarkin said:
...Also nice to know Betty is coming soon. I don't think many were expecting them to come out as slowly as 12 per set (single disc, single layer?) but if that's what Olive needs to do to ensure their viability, so be it.

What I'm more interested in is to know if Olive have come around to the realisation yet how much more these toons would be worth in an uncensored, chronological and most importantly, complete set? Last I heard they were skipping over around 30-40 shorts because they are PD, and so presumably not worth the time?

I think I speak for many when I say I'm comparatively unenthused about some half done non-PD only set; if this first disc was the beginning of a complete set I'd pre-order day one. The PD stuff that is available on DVD is usually from poor source elements, sometimes censored. To leave all those shorts to the wind because "they are already on DVD" would be majorly disappointing.
Putting the Betty Boop cartoons in chronological order, and sourcing them from good elements, is important to the many fans who have been frustrated with the substandard quality of "public domain" editions. WB finally did this for the Popeye cartoons in three sets, and what a difference it made in our understanding of and appreciation for the art of animation in the 1930s and the Fleischer brothers work in particular. The same can be done with the Betty Boop cartoons if someone in the distribution chain cares enough about them and doesn't dismiss them as just another DVD. A little logic and discipline in the assembly is needed here.

I understand that the Fleischers introduced surrealism gradually into their animation until it became predominant in the Betty Boops, but I've never been able to study the cartoons in a disciplined way myself. Some of their stuff is way out there.

However I don't want to say anything to Olive Films that would slow down the DVD they have in the pipeline. Let's get Betty Boop released.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Does anyone know if Netflix has the majority of Olive releases on Blu Ray (not streaming)? Their interface is so bad and so user-unfriendly who knows what they have? A rep told me that the reason why they require you to subscribe first and only then be able to see their catalog is because "the company cannot stop doing things that are half-assed." And he works for them!

I would like to first watch some of the Olive titles before I buy them. Any subscribers here who have gotten Olive Blus from Netflix?

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Professor Echo said:
Does anyone know if Netflix has the majority of Olive releases on Blu Ray (not streaming)? Their interface is so bad and so user-unfriendly who knows what they have? A rep told me that the reason why they require you to subscribe first and only then be able to see their catalog is because "the company cannot stop doing things that are half-assed." And he works for them!

I would like to first watch some of the Olive titles before I buy them. Any subscribers here who have gotten Olive Blus from Netflix?
My guess is that they have none of them on Blu-ray. I stopped getting BD from Netflix because aside from new releases they weren't stocking any, and that was a couple years ago. In fact, they don't seem all that interested in stocking any BD or DVD releases unless they are new release rental-only discs. The catalog titles they've had in their inventory on DVD are starting to dwindle, and I've received far more cracked discs in the last year than I ever did in the entire decade before.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Professor Echo said:

Get yourself a subscription to ClassicFlix. They have all the Olive BDs.

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
I've only rented a couple of Olive bds from Netflix, most recent being THE QUIET MAN. Netflix doesn't really invest in too many older films these days and the smaller companies have caught on that Netflix rips them off.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Thanks for the information on Netflix. I figured as much, but needed to confirm. They keep bugging me to add the DVD option to my streaming plan, but what's the point? I recently had an online chat with a Netflix employee about their DVD offerings and he actually said to me: "Sir, Netflix offers every DVD that has ever been released."

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Professor Echo said:
Thanks for the information on Netflix. I figured as much, but needed to confirm.They keep bugging me to add the DVD option to my streaming plan, but what's the point? I recently had an online chat with a Netflix employee about their DVD offerings and he actually said to me: "Sir, Netflix offers every DVD that has ever been released."

:laugh:

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Olive Films - July Release - More to come...

Attachments

• FireMaidens.jpg
    FireMaidens.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 139

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Hooo, boy! I'm not sure about this one.

Out of curiosity, what's the correct OAR of Fire Maidens? I would assume 1.66:1 theatrically with the open-matte presentation being the one oft seen on TV

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
JoHud said:
Hooo, boy! I'm not sure about this one.

Out of curiosity, what's the correct OAR of Fire Maidens? I would assume 1.66:1 theatrically with the open-matte presentation being the one oft seen on TV
it will be released in its original aspect ratio of 1.66:1

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
Out of curiosity, do you know the reason why Johnny Guitar, Hell's Half Acre and The Atomic Kid were all released in the wrong aspect ratio? Was it a decision by people at Olive? Or more of a case of 1.33:1 transfers being the only ones available, and Olive not wanting to manipulate them?

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Fire Maidens reminds me of MST3K when that movie was the experiment...
I love where it says "more to come" meaning more announcements coming , yay ! :)

Ken_Martinez

BANNED
Real Name
Ken
MisterLime said:
First volume of 12 shorts to be announced soon.
Neat. I would've preferred multi-disc sets, but it's more important that Olive do the best job possible with the material.

Within the collections, do you know if the shorts will be in chronological order, or "themed"?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks