What's new

Coming Soon From Olive Films (1 Viewer)

Roger Cee

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Roger Cotillion
Jon Hertzberg said:
They get whatever Paramount submits to them as possibilities, not the other way around.
Jon, so you mean that there could be certain titles they want, that Paramount might not let them have as opposed to Olive picking what THEY want? It looks like you're saying Paramount gives Olive a list of films to pick from.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Roger Cee said:
Jon, so you mean that there could be certain titles they want, that Paramount might not let them have as opposed to Olive picking what THEY want? It looks like you're saying Paramount gives Olive a list of films to pick from.
That's exactly what I'm saying.

Roger Cee

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Roger Cotillion
Jon Hertzberg said:
That's exactly what I'm saying.
That could be why Olive didn't grab BADGE 373 the first time. I'm not disagreeing with you, but how do you know that?

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Roger Cee said:
I have the Region 2 DR. TERROR'S HOUSE OF HORRORS (UK?) DVD. It was released on VHS here on both NTA and Republic Video. The NTA (a division of Republic) release, I distinctly remember it had a Paramount logo at the beginning and since Paramount owns Republic, Olive could have gotten this. Also it's on Netflix (with Paramount logo).
DR. TERROR'S HOUSE OF HORRORS is a funny situation in that Paramount released the movie in U.S. theatres, but did not retain the rights after the initial release; those went to NTA, which was not affiliated with the studio in any fashion. So while their tape had the logo intact, Paramount did not own the movie. Flash forward years later, where name changes and acquisitions bring the Republic library to Paramount, so in ironic circumstance, Paramount gets the movie back! But just so you know, just because their logo is still on the print does not always mean they still control a movie.
I don't know what the status is with the previous license Paramount gave Lionsgate for the Republic library, but if it is still in effect, then DR. TERROR is in that package, which may be why Olive could not do that title in tandem with TALES THAT WITNESS MADNESS.
As for MEATBALLS, that was an odd note in that glory period of Canuxploitation. Like other productions, HBO had kicked in some money to the production in exchange for cable rights, but Paramount also put in equity money rather than just a negative pickup fee when they saw Bill Murray's popularity rising, so there was a sort of squabble over video rights - MEATBALLS took considerably longer to reach video than many movies released at the same time and year. Apparently, a compromise was reached where Paramount put out the initial Beta and VHS tapes, but Vestron (who at the time handled all HBO titles, including other Canadian co-prods like THE SILENT PARTNER, AGENCY, and THE BELL JAR) got to put out the laser and CED releases. Later on, when HBO got their own label and Paramount's video license expired, they reissued the movie on all formats.
The intellectual property rights to MEATBALLS now reside with Lionsgate, as inheritors of many Canadian films produced by Dunning and Link for what became Cinepix Film Properties. For some reason though, rather than put it out through LG in the US, they licensed it to Sony for DVD; probably got paid a lot for it so Sony could co-promote it with the extended cut of STRIPES they released at the same time.

Roger Cee

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Roger Cotillion
I received the updated version of GAMES today. It doesn't have the speed problem during the last 5 minutes, but checking each chapter at 10 minute intervals, it is horribly grainy. The first version was not like this. Can anyone else tell me if theirs is very grainy?

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Mark Edward Heuck said:
DR. TERROR'S HOUSE OF HORRORS is a funny situation in that Paramount released the movie in U.S. theatres, but did not retain the rights after the initial release; those went to NTA, which was not affiliated with the studio in any fashion. So while their tape had the logo intact, Paramount did not own the movie. Flash forward years later, where name changes and acquisitions bring the Republic library to Paramount, so in ironic circumstance, Paramount gets the movie back! But just so you know, just because their logo is still on the print does not always mean they still control a movie.
I don't know what the status is with the previous license Paramount gave Lionsgate for the Republic library, but if it is still in effect, then DR. TERROR is in that package, which may be why Olive could not do that title in tandem with TALES THAT WITNESS MADNESS.
As for MEATBALLS, that was an odd note in that glory period of Canuxploitation. Like other productions, HBO had kicked in some money to the production in exchange for cable rights, but Paramount also put in equity money rather than just a negative pickup fee when they saw Bill Murray's popularity rising, so there was a sort of squabble over video rights - MEATBALLS took considerably longer to reach video than many movies released at the same time and year. Apparently, a compromise was reached where Paramount put out the initial Beta and VHS tapes, but Vestron (who at the time handled all HBO titles, including other Canadian co-prods like THE SILENT PARTNER, AGENCY, and THE BELL JAR) got to put out the laser and CED releases. Later on, when HBO got their own label and Paramount's video license expired, they reissued the movie on all formats.
The intellectual property rights to MEATBALLS now reside with Lionsgate, as inheritors of many Canadian films produced by Dunning and Link for what became Cinepix Film Properties. For some reason though, rather than put it out through LG in the US, they licensed it to Sony for DVD; probably got paid a lot for it so Sony could co-promote it with the extended cut of STRIPES they released at the same time.
Fascinating, Marc.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
A great explanation to a complex rights issue with MEATBALLS -something that perplexed me for years.Thanks for making it clear.
Interesting how Sony was able to license it from Lionsgate, and that HBO lost the rights.
Does HBO still own the Savoy library? There are some key films in that library.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Mark Edward Heuck /t/311707/coming-soon-from-olive-films/60#post_3877218

License is still in effect so Lionsgate controls the film for about another ten years. Lionsgate just announced an MOD program to be administered by Amazon such as the Universal Amazon program. There will be 100 titles offered at first with more coming. Of the 25 or so titles announced, none are Republic, but they may appear so there is a possibility that DR, TERROR will appear through that program.

Roger Cee

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Roger Cotillion
Mark Edward Heuck said:
Great stuff Marc! What you said about DR. TERROR'S HOUSE OF HORRORS makes a lot of sense but Paramount did give this film to Netflix with their logo, but fullscreen. If Republic did own it, then they probably also have THE BOOGENS (Paramount logo) and CAULDRON OF BLOOD (Boris Karloff) also released on NTA as well as Republic.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
ahollis said:
License is still in effect so Lionsgate controls the film for about another ten years.  Lionsgate just announced an MOD program to be administered by Amazon such as the Universal Amazon program.  There will be 100 titles offered at first with more coming.  Of the 25 or so titles announced, none are Republic, but they may appear so there is a possibility that DR, TERROR will appear through that program. 
Considering the large number of films Lionsgate owns outright, I don't really see them dipping into the titles licensed from the Republic/NTA library anytime soon.

Roger Cee

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Roger Cotillion
I received the updated version of GAMES today. It doesn't have the speed problem during the last 5 minutes, but checking each chapter at 10 minute intervals, it is horribly grainy. The first version was not like this. Can anyone else tell me if theirs is very grainy?

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Isn't Dr. Terror's House of Horrors the anthology film whose end credits look like a bad VHS dub? I'm not near my DVDs at the moment, but I'm pretty sure that my TCM copy is identical in this regard to the Region 2 DVD that I purchased, hoping for something better. What was up with that? And now that I'm thinking about it, doesn't the main title sequence exist in two styles?

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
Apparently the only existing negative for the end part was the German version although the English soundtrack was available.
For this reason, English editions utlise the German negative for the final moments of the film actual, but the end credits are sourced from the only available English language copy of them, which is VHS.
Naturally, the German DVD simply uses the original German negative, end credits and all.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Thanks! I'd forgotten about the German/English issue. That last spoken line is "Dr. Schreck!", right?

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Thomas T said:
Region free is the way to go!
I went in that direction years ago. It provided me with a MUCH larger retail pool to buy from. I own a LOT of DVDs NEVER released here in the USA.
One of those titles being a Region 2,4 release of "Nighthawks". SO no need from streaming there.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Jeff_HR /t/311707/coming-soon-from-olive-films/90#post_3877742
I went in that direction years ago. It provided me with a MUCH larger retail pool to buy from. I own a LOT of DVDs NEVER released here in the USA.
One of those titles being a Region 2,4 release of "Nighthawks". SO no need from streaming there.
Your point is well taken. By the way, Nighthawks was released in Region 1 back in 2004 with an anamorphic presentation which I viewed a couple of weeks ago from my collection.

Crawdaddy

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Robert Crawford said:
Your point is well taken.  By the way, Nighthawks was released in Region 1 back in 2004 with an anamorphic presentation which I viewed a couple of weeks ago from my collection.
Crawdaddy
Are we talking 1981's NIGHTHAWKS starring Sylvester or the 1978 British film with the same title?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Jon Hertzberg /t/311707/coming-soon-from-olive-films/90#post_3877830
Are we talking 1981's NIGHTHAWKS starring Sylvester or the 1978 British film with the same title?
I think we're talking about the film with Sly and Billy Dee which is what I viewed just before Thanksgiving.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Roger Cee, my corrected copy of GAMES looks fine on my 32" monitor. I don't have the other disc for comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks