What's new

Coming Soon From Olive Films (2 Viewers)

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
ahollis said:
I really think you will see a Criterion of LOOKING FOR MR. GOODBAR sometime in 2012.  Shout asked Paramount about the title early this year and were told a hard no.  Not "sure you can have it if you can clear music rights."  This is film that begs a Criterion release and I seen hints in some of their posts, but could be reading it wrong.  Time will tell.

I disagree. I think the music rights is holding up the DVD/BD release, I don't think they've licensed it to Criterion. The music rights were already cleared for TV, so that's why its available on NETFLIX for streaming.
Music is also holding up many of the no-brainers that everyone seems to discuss on this forum.

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
I would greatly welcome the release of Tales That Witness Madness as it is the remaining "portmanteau" horror movie of the period. I already own Dr Terror's House of Horrors, Torture Garden, Asylum, Tales from the Crypt, The House That Dripped Blood, Vault of Horror and From Beyond the Grave.
AFAIK it is necessary to be multiregion capable to do this, since several of those are exlusive to one region or another. It's also a shame that the Midnite Double release included a cut edition of Vault though. It was a lovely looking edition but sadly the snipped version slipped through.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
I keep waiting for an announcement about AMERICAN HOT WAX -which I am sure is in total music rights hell, but this (unlike GOODBAR) NEVER received a legit video release-other than the extremely rare Fotomat release(Does anyone have one of these? What was the quality?) and is very rarely-if ever -played on television-nor been streamed.
Anyone know any news of this?

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Louis Letizia said:
I keep waiting for an announcement about AMERICAN HOT WAX -which I am sure is in total music rights hell, but this (unlike GOODBAR) NEVER received a legit video release-other than the extremely rare Fotomat release(Does anyone have one of these? What was the quality?) and is very rarely-if ever -played on television-nor been streamed.
Anyone know any news of this?
It used to play on cable. I caught an A & E screening within the last 10 years.
In addition to the Fotomat VHS release, Paramount issued the film on RCA Selectavision CED.
[ATTACHMENT=202]american-hot-wax-1.jpg (108k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT][ATTACHMENT=203]american-hot-wax-2.jpg (72k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
Very cool website. Interesting artwork on many of the CED discs. This is one format I never had. I'm surprised how many titles they released. /Nice nostalgia trip.
Was it a decent format?
I think Fotomat also released FRATERNITY ROW-but I have yet to see that either

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I would not know anything about Netflix streaming as I don't use it. With close to 2300 DVDs/BDs in my Library I have NO need for Netflix or other companies like it.
Considering the well known Music in "Looking for Mr Goodbar" I'm not surprised about the lack of a disc release. I'm a bit surprised that the rights were cleared for TV presentation. Maybe that foreshadows a disc release by SOMEONE! Could EVEN be Paramount.
I'm glad I didn't buy CED discs. I chose to go the Laserdisc direction. I had a LD of "Looking for Mr Goodbar" for many years.

Roger Cee

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Roger Cotillion
Olive's list is spectacular! They may have missed a few but overall they got a ton of good ones. They got TALES THAT WITNESS MADNESS but not the first of the series DR. TERROR'S HOUSE OF HORRORS. How could they have missed that?

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
The rights are held by someone else maybe?
In any case, it's easily available in the UK, Germany and Italy. I don't get why people limit themselves to their domestic region. At least a third of my collection is from outide my home country.
It would drive me crazy if I could see those releases listed but couldn't buy and play them.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
I found it fascinating flipping through the CED discs. 2 others i spotted-I think-were never released on vhs were THE SLAP and PIAF (released to theaters in 1982 via 20th Century Fox International Classics-the forebear to Searchlight).
LET IT BE was released by UA
PARASITE via Embassy-which never had an Embassy vhs release.
MEATBALLS rights baffles me most. It was released on laser, vhs and here on Vestron . It also made it to Paramount VHS . Yet when it first reached DVD it was thru HBO! And when that went out of print it went out thru Sony! Can anyone help me make sense of this?

Roger Cee

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Roger Cotillion
Roger Cee said:
Olive's list is spectacular! They may have missed a few but overall they got a ton of good ones. They got TALES THAT WITNESS MADNESS but not the first of the series DR. TERROR'S HOUSE OF HORRORS. How could they have missed that?
Nebiroth said:
In any case, it's easily available in the UK, Germany and Italy. I don't get why people limit themselves to their domestic region. At least a third of my collection is from outide my home country.
It would drive me crazy if I could see those releases listed but couldn't buy and play them.
I have the Region 2 DR. TERROR'S HOUSE OF HORRORS (UK?) DVD. It was released on VHS here on both NTA and Republic Video. The NTA (a division of Republic) release, I distinctly remember it had a Paramount logo at the beginning and since Paramount owns Republic, Olive could have gotten this. Also it's on Netflix (with Paramount logo).

moviepas

Supporting Actor
The Beatles Let It Be went out on a DVD set then quickly disappeared and came into the high price area which I avoid many years ago. I don't know why I missed ordering this. I try and collect titles I have seen in the theater(which is not many, really, TV being where I saw most films before VHS, LD, DVD, Blu). I won tickets for the film on first release. Don't remember where the theater was now. Another I saw at a freebie ticket win was thru a Movie Club a movie buff late friend ran in conjunction with his lunch-time TV movie spot, was O Lucky Man. This took an eternity to be released on DVD.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Nebiroth said:
Me either, I agree with you on that one. I bought an R-Free player years ago and it turned out to be the best decision I made, enjoying numerous anamorphic movie DVD's in R2/4 that weren't released in that format in R1, as well as some complete-series TV/DVD sets that still aren't available in R1. Some ppl have issues with the 4% PAL speedup but it doesn't bother me at all. I have friends that collect in the UK and they also think it's strange that some ppl in the states seem to think that any DVD releases other than R1 are not "legitimate". That word was used by a poster over at the TV/DVD board. I thought that was funny, considering that we're not talking about bootlegs but studio releases. To each their own.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I agree. Region free is the way to go! I have a huge want list of DVDs from other regions not currently available in the U.S. that I am buying as my budget allows.
Recent purchases include a pristine transfer of No Highway In The Sky with James Stewart and Marlene Dietrich from Germany, the roadshow version (including overture, intermission, entr'acte and exit music) of Young Winston from England and Frenchman's Creek with Joan Fontaine from Spain!

BIANCO2NERO

Agent
Real Name
Sergio Angelini
Thomas T said:
I agree. Region free is the way to go! I have a huge want list of DVDs from other regions not currently available in the U.S. that I am buying as my budget allows.
Recent purchases include a pristine transfer of No Highway In The Sky with James Stewart and Marlene Dietrich from Germany, the roadshow version (including overture, intermission, entr'acte and exit music) of Young Winston from England and Frenchman's Creek with Joan Fontaine from Spain!
Sadly the Region 2 version of YOUNG WINSON, whether from German or the UK, remains the shorter version (i.e. the one that ends on the freeze frame of the coin being flipped and not on the shot of the older Winston dreaming). This is apparently Attenborough's preferred cut from what I understand, which is a real shame because the longer cut is clearly superior.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Jeff_HR said:
I would not know anything about Netflix streaming as I don't use it. With close to 2300 DVDs/BDs in my Library I have NO need for Netflix or other companies like it.
Considering the well known Music in "Looking for Mr Goodbar" I'm not surprised about the lack of a disc release. I'm a bit surprised that the rights were cleared for TV presentation. Maybe that foreshadows a disc release by SOMEONE! Could EVEN be Paramount.
I'm glad I didn't buy CED discs. I chose to go the Laserdisc direction. I had a LD of "Looking for Mr Goodbar" for many years.
As has been discussed and speculated in this forum and others, it would seem that streaming falls somewhere closer to television broadcast than home video, which would explain films with music clearance issues on home video appearing completely intact, music-wise, on the Netflix stream. LOOKING FOR MR. GOODBAR, CALIFORNIA DREAMING, NIGHTHAWKS, HEROES, and BLUE COLLAR are examples of this and there are many more. One reason why a Netflix Instant account is a great idea even if one has many DVDs / Blus.
Yes, laserdisc was a great format--I was a laserdisc collector as well--but it didn't have AMERICAN HOT WAX and CED did.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
moviepas said:
The Beatles Let It Be went out on a DVD set then quickly disappeared and came into the high price area which I avoid many years ago. I don't know why I missed ordering this. I try and collect titles I have seen in the theater(which is not many, really, TV being where I saw most films before VHS, LD, DVD, Blu). I won tickets for the film on first release. Don't remember where the theater was now. Another I saw at a freebie ticket win was thru a Movie Club a movie buff late friend ran in conjunction with his lunch-time TV movie spot, was O Lucky Man. This took an eternity to be released on DVD. 
As far as I know, any LET IT BE DVD would be a bootleg. It was only legitimately released for home viewing very early in the home video era--VHS, LD, CED. Probably Beta as well.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Louis Letizia said:
I found it fascinating flipping through the CED discs. 2 others i spotted-I think-were never released on vhs were THE SLAP and PIAF (released to theaters in 1982 via 20th Century Fox International Classics-the forebear to Searchlight).
LET IT BE was released by UA
PARASITE via Embassy-which never had an Embassy vhs release.
MEATBALLS rights baffles me most. It was released on laser, vhs and here on Vestron . It also made it to Paramount VHS . Yet when it first reached DVD it was thru HBO! And when that went out of print it went out thru Sony! Can anyone help me make sense of this?
Marc Edward Heuck is your man when it comes to any questions like these. As for LET IT BE, my guess, not being a Beatles expert, is that it is completely controlled by Apple and has been held back at least in part due to Paul McCartney's distaste for the film. I don't think UA retains any rights these days, just as they no longer do for A HARD DAY'S NIGHT or HELP!. YELLOW SUBMARINE is apparently the only Beatles film originally distributed by UA that they retained the rights to; those rights were gained by Sony (theatrical) and Fox (video) when they swallowed up the MGM/UA library a few years back.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Jeff Willis said:
Me either, I agree with you on that one. I bought an R-Free player years ago and it turned out to be the best decision I made, enjoying numerous anamorphic movie DVD's in R2/4 that weren't released in that format in R1, as well as some complete-series TV/DVD sets that still aren't available in R1. Some ppl have issues with the 4% PAL speedup but it doesn't bother me at all. I have friends that collect in the UK and they also think it's strange that some ppl in the states seem to think that any DVD releases other than R1 are not "legitimate". That word was used by a poster over at the TV/DVD board. I thought that was funny, considering that we're not talking about bootlegs but studio releases. To each their own.
Hear, hear!

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Louis Letizia said:
Very cool website. Interesting artwork on many of the CED discs. This is one format I never had. I'm surprised how many titles they released. /Nice nostalgia trip.
Was it a decent format?
I think Fotomat also released FRATERNITY ROW-but I have yet to see that either
Yes, Fotomat also released Paramount's FRATERNITY ROW and FRENCH POSTCARDS. While later VHS and DVD releases of FRENCH POSTCARDS have an awful, "rescored" soundtrack, the Fotomat tape had the original music intact.
CED was similar in quality to VHS and Beta, not at the level of laserdisc. As you can probably glean from the CED Magic website, the format used a technology similar to that of a turntable...i.e. needle and grooved disc. Players and discs can be had very cheaply and, as you found, there are even more not-on-VHS rarities that were on CED.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Roger Cee said:
They get whatever Paramount submits to them as possibilities, not the other way around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks