What's new

Coming Soon From Olive Films (1 Viewer)

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Two titles I would love on Blu from Olive Films are The Mountain and Escape From Zahrain. Just got done watching Sands of the Kalahari - while not a great film, I was thoroughly entertained. Zahrain was such a hoot. All of these would look terrific in hi-def.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I was thinking about Twilight's Last Gleaming recently,
and had sought to find the last current thread we were
discussing the film in, but with this horrible search engine
on this platform, I was unable to locate it.

I am happy to hear that we are close to a DVD release --
perhaps (if we are lucky) even a BD release. As of yet,
I don't see any official announcement but I am guessing it
won't be long.

I suppose I can talk about this film a lot more openly than
I could when it was under Warner's control.

As you all are aware, the studio wanted to get this film out
but much to the dismay of everyone, was holding on to it.
All I could do was give you a generalized reason behind the
delays.

Truth be, the film had a lot of red tape behind it. The rights
to the film were connected to many different entities including
banks. The studio was having a rather difficult time clearing
all the legal hurdles, and it is my guess, that at some point,
they just let their holdings to the film lapse altogether. The fact
that Olive films had obtained the rights came as a complete
surprise to some.

It was also my understanding that there was additional footage
that the studio was trying to obtain, which ultimately held up
progress. Whether Olive Films was successful in nabbing that
footage is yet to be seen.

I think Warner gave its all in trying to release this film. However,
I think that at the same time, Twilight's Last Gleaming fell into the
same unfortunate circumstances of The Bowery Boys where the
DVD buying climate was rapidly changing to the point where studios
were having a tough time selling classic titles like these through retail.
Of course, eventually the studio rolled out an archive collection where
I think most likely, this film would have ended up if still under their ownership.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
We haven't heard anything positive since May on TWILIGHT'S LAST GLEAMING. Now I wonder if Olive still trying to get through the red tape.

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
First title announced for November is Despair blu-ray.... Sigh! And to think I recently picked it up on DVD. I guess, I won't be buying Olive's DVDs anymore since eventually they might release it on blu...

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
This policy of Olive of announcing films several months before availability is getting frustrating and looks like it may cause blowback. Warner Archive, for whatever criticisms you want to lob at them and the MOD format, promises no more than a few weeks in advance and delivers.
And of course Universal practically does neither.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Bob Cashill /t/311707/coming-soon-from-olive-films#post_3844627
Olive's Blus haven't been stellar. DVD might suffice.
I thought the Blu transfer of Sands of the Kalahari was quite good. But this is the only Blu from them that I have gotten. I did not see any reason to upgrade Crack In The World. I might for The Mountain if it goes Blu for that looks great on DVD. I have been selective on Olive's titles to only the ones I really want for as always stated they are a little high without extras, even a trailer. But I am happy to have the titles I have purchased.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Oh, I'm not complaining about Olive (other than the as-yet-unexplalned BREAKING GLASS botch). It's done good work with a number of titles that had slipped through the crack of the home video world, so to speak. But I've felt no great urgency to have any of them in Blu. That said it should make it clear from the outset which we'll go Blu, unless it's looking at the DVD sales figures to see if something might move a few units in BD.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
I'm happy with their quality too -- very pleased with my purchases of MAN WHO COULD CHEAT DEATH, THE SKULL, CRACK IN THE WORLD and now COLOSSUS OF NEW YORK. Quality's excellent across the board. And I realize I shouldn't expect DVDs off the press within a few weeks of a licensing announcement. But Olive does need to be mindful of managing expectations (as do other distributors).

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Camps said:
I'm happy with their quality too -- very pleased with my purchases of MAN WHO COULD CHEAT DEATH, THE SKULL
For clarification, those two are from a separate distributor company called Legend Films.
And I lucked out in putting off buying Despair on DVD, with a blu just recently announced. Though, aside from Atomic City, I'm not sure what else Paramount-related is coming out of Olive in the future.

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
Paramount titles that are still have Olive listed as distributor that are not on DVD are Fear Is the Key (1972), Promise Her Anything (1965) and The Savage Innocents (1960)...

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Based on what's streaming on Netflix I'd say THE SAVAGE INNOCENTS is going to need some work to look acceptable.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
JoHud said:
For clarification, those two are from a separate distributor company called Legend Films.
And I lucked out in putting off buying Despair on DVD, with a blu just recently announced. Though, aside from Atomic City, I'm not sure what else Paramount-related is coming out of Olive in the future.
You are correct, Joe! Got my Paramount classic-DVD distribs blurred together. My bad. :eek:
BTW, whatever happened to Legend Films? Why is it such a case of fits & starts that (post-'48) classic Paramount titles get issued on DVD these days? (I won't get started on the Uni-owned pre-'48 titles.... :confused:)

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Atomic City came out in August . Any new Paramount titles coming from Olive in September or beyond ? They have been putting out 1 or 2 Paramount titles a month for some time now . Is that over ? :confused:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
There is a release date floating around on the internet for TWILIGHT'S LAST GLEAMING of Sept. 19, 2011. Anybody know if that is correct?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Since it is not listed on their web site, I would think not. I heard that it is again in rights's hell, for there appears to be many owners of the film and they all need to get together.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Yes, it did seem since they had not yet listed Twilights Last Gleaming on their website that Sept. 19 was unlikely. I was holding out hope they might suprise us though.

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
From the Horse's Mouth
Twilight's Last Gleaming and Fedora will be 2012 releases. A new list of titles will be announced soon.
JEAN-LUC GODARD’S HISTOIRE(S) DU CINEMA was just announced. 8 Parts on 2 Discs ($49.95)
[ATTACHMENT=165]887090030205.jpg (256k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
cb543d7a_887090030205.jpeg

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
It looks like FEAR IS THE KEY, THE SAVAGE INNOCENTS and PROMISE HER ANYTHING are all removed from their schedule.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks