What's new

Coming Soon From Olive Films (1 Viewer)

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
While I am happy that Love Happy is being released, it really is sad that it is the first Marx Brothers film to make it to Blu.

Justin Ray

Second Unit
Real Name
Justin Ray
JoHud said:
Amazon has just listed two more:

Johnny Come Lately (1943)
Love Happy (1950)
lovehappy(blu_ray).jpg

johnnycomelately(blu_ray).jpg

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
David Weicker said:
While I am happy that Love Happy is being released, it really is sad that it is the first Marx Brothers film to make it to Blu.
Warner Bros. and Universal really need to release their Marx Brothers films on Blu-ray.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Timothy E said:
Warner Bros. and Universal really need to release their Marx Brothers films on Blu-ray.
The problem is really that the 1930s films are in pretty poor condition. IIRC it took quite a bit of effort to make them more presentable even for DVD, and even then the earliest films in the Universal set have glaring problems.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
Brandon Conway said:
The problem is really that the 1930s films are in pretty poor condition. IIRC it took quite a bit of effort to make them more presentable even for DVD, and even then the earliest films in the Universal set have glaring problems.
Yes, some look quite badly damaged. However, as I always say, element issues should not prevent a title from reaching Blu-ray in some form or another under any circumstances.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Brandon Conway said:
If they can do it for DRACULA (1931) and FRANKENSTEIN, they can do it for the Marx Brothers.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Dick said:
If they can do it for DRACULA (1931) and FRANKENSTEIN, they can do it for the Marx Brothers.
The problem is the Marx Brothers titles were originally Paramount titles and were not well taken care off.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
A little curious if any Marx Bros restoration/remastering effort has been done under Universal since that DVD release ages ago. Those films could have used that cash they were spreading around during their 100th anniversary celebration.

As for WB there's that reported uncut print of At the Opera that was found in Hungary or whereabouts so there's something outside of the usual procedure that might be holding that bunch up.

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
JoHud said:
A little curious if any Marx Bros restoration/remastering effort has been done under Universal since that DVD release ages ago. Those films could have used that cash they were spreading around during their 100th anniversary celebration.

As for WB there's that reported uncut print of At the Opera that was found in Hungary or whereabouts so there's something outside of the usual procedure that might be holding that bunch up.
I spoke to the folks at Universal's Asset Management about this long ago. They assured me that they've scoured the globe looking for better material, not just on the Marx films but many others, especially those that were hacked up for post-Code reissue, such as LOVE ME TONIGHT. Believe me, if they had superior elements, don't you think they'd have put those versions out by now?

Mike S.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Though to be fair they could probably do much better digital restoration work than what has currently been done. I would think that they could clean up the soundtracks on the films quite a bit like they did on Dracula (1931).

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
Brandon Conway said:
Though to be fair they could probably do much better digital restoration work than what has currently been done. I would think that they could clean up the soundtracks on the films quite a bit like they did on Dracula (1931).
Well, perhaps, but again, you can't compare their own library to Paramount's, which was not as well-maintained. Many of the latter titles were preserved from surviving prints, and there's only so much you can do with less-than-pristine elements.

Mike S.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Only one more John Wayne to go, and coincidentally one of the most anticipated.

Home of the Brave was a long time coming. Glad to see it's finally been released

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks