What's new

Coming Soon From Olive Films (2 Viewers)

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Regarding the A.C. Lyles westerns, I just watched JOHNNY RENO (1966) on the Paramount DVD.

This is an early 1940s type of programmer script, simple and straightforward, filmed in 1966. It's dated from the get-go. Talkative and overlong at 83 minutes. Perhaps two days on location at the Vasquez Rocks National Park in Agua Dulce -- you know, where Capt. Kirk fought the lizard man -- and the rest of the two weeks on the backlot, either Melody Ranch or Paramount. The actors are all past their prime, playing parts they would have played when they were 25 years younger, BUT -- and this is a big BUT -- they are fine actors, and perform with complete conviction. Dana Andrews looking puffy and painfully sober exudes empathy and authority as the virtuous U.S. Marshal, while Lyle Bettger drives the film with fierce energy as the town mayor up to no good. Their saloon fight is straight out of a Republic serial, and it's great fun. As the saloon owner Jane Russell gives Miss Kitty a run for her money. Lon Chaney Jr is given third billing and plenty of screen time as the town sheriff who wants to do right but is too afraid to try. Chaney appears to have done about 10 of the 14 A.C. Lyles westerns, and he's very good. It's a pleasure to see him work. John Agar, Richard Arlen and Robert Lowery are also on hand. Game stuntmen playing heavily dressed, well-mounted Indians ride in and ride out on cue with flawless timing, being careful not to break up the group shots. The film opens with Dana Andrews riding across the landscape minding his own business and bouncing in the saddle. Andrews can't ride, and from the looks of things his testicles must have taken punishment to get those shots in the can. The color is rich and the widescreen Techniscope frame is put to good use. The transfer is nearly pristine, a superb picture.

I thoroughly enjoyed JOHNNY RENO. This transfer would look spectacular on blu-ray. If this is an indication of the quality of an A.C. Lyles western I would ask Mister Lime to draw the series to the attention of Olive Films. I'll buy every single one.

rdimucci

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert DiMucci
Another Paramount-distributed film I've been waiting all my life to see is 1967's THE LONG DUEL. A Region 2 PAL DVD was released this past February in the U.K. by Spirit Entertainment / Strawberry Media. Does Paramount still retain U.S. rights to this Rank Organisation Production. or should we be looking to VCI?

xso0.jpg

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Another Paramount-distributed film I've been waiting all my life to see is 1967's THE LONG DUEL. A Region 2 PAL DVD was released this past February in the U.K. by Spirit Entertainment / Strawberry Media. Does Paramount still retain U.S. rights to this Rank Organisation Production. or should we be looking to VCI?
And what a great (Patrick) John Scott score!

Nailwraps

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony DiPaola
Olive should really consider releasing Race For Your Life, Charlie Brown and Bon Voyage, Charlie Brown (and Don't Come Back)!. They're not part of Warner's deal with Paramount, Paramount is taking their sweet time releasing them, so the next likely choice is to sub-licensing them to Olive.

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Upcoming Olive Films Releases - October - More to come...

CRY DANGER
Restored by the UCLA Film & Television Archive. Restoration funding provided by the Film Noir Foundation.

BANG! BANG! YOU'RE DEAD!
YOUNG AT HEART - DVD and BD Front Art will be uploaded later...
THE BAMBOO SAUCER - DVD and BD Front Art will be uploaded later...
WITCHBOARD 2: THE DEVIL'S DOORWAY - DVD and BD Front Art will be uploaded later...

Attachments

• cry_bang.jpg
    cry_bang.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 27

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
WITCHBOARD 2?? Really...? Ugh... :wacko:

Hopefully Olive took some time and interviewed James Hong for THE BAMBOO SAUCER. He's certainly willing to talk about any of his movies.

davidHartzog

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John smith
Cry Danger is an excellent film noir, a definite purchase. Bang Bang is so-so, a jokey spy movie with a good cast mostly wasted.

rdimucci

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert DiMucci
BANG! BANG! YOU'RE DEAD! -- How did this American International Pictures release fall into the hands of Paramount?

For that matter, CRY DANGER was originally released by RKO.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Yeah Im getting Cry Danger but the one I want the most (the only one I have seen) on the list of Noirs they have coming is naturally the one that is last Beware my Lovely... its always like that - the most wanted is last in line :D :rolleyes:

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
WITCHBOARD 2: THE DEVIL'S DOORWAY - SPECIAL FEATURES

• AUDIO COMMENTARY with writer and director KEVIN S. TENNEY
• BEHIND-THE-SCENES FEATURETTE – Includes interviews with AMI DOLENZ,
LARAINE NEWMAN, TIMOTHY GIBBS, JULIE MICHAELS, KEVIN S. TENNEY
and others
• Two Deleted Scenes
• Two Home Video Trailers
• Three TV Spots

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
Any extras for Cry Danger? Would love to see an interview with Rhonda Fleming and Richard Erdman. I'm sure Film Noir Foundation can make it happen...

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
I guess we can expect the original NIGHT OF THE DEMONS from Olive some time, what with WB2 and NotD 2.

calvinm

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Calvin
MisterLime, is there any chance that Olive will upgrade Bresson's The Devil, Probably? Also, are the Bo Widerberg films still on track for release this year? Thanks.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
GregoryMesh said:
Any extras for Cry Danger? Would love to see an interview with Rhonda Fleming and Richard Erdman. I'm sure Film Noir Foundation can make it happen...
About a year ago I read an interview with Rhonda Fleming. It was in a music magazine and was done as a consequence of her 1950s vinyl album being released on CD in Australia. Rhonda Fleming's mind is clearly in good condition and she was articulate and informative.

I'm puzzled that she's never asked to contribute to DVDs and BRDs of her films.

Wade Sowers

Second Unit
Real Name
Wade Sowers
I was able to see the Film Noir Foundation restoration of CRY DANGER a few years ago and I can add my thumbs up! to those who have already written - an excellent film with a fine performance by Richard Erdman as the best friend stock character. This is the first film by Robert Parrish who went on to direct some nice work in various genres, such as the classic (to me, anyway) Robert Mitchum western THE WONDERFUL COUNTRY.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
rdimucci said:
BANG! BANG! YOU'RE DEAD! -- How did this American International Pictures release fall into the hands of Paramount?
I am guessing that it was originally a Commonwealth United production that was released by AIP; many films of theirs went through AIP but ultimately reverted back to NTA when they acquired the library.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks