What's new

Coming Soon From Chevrolet (1 Viewer)

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member

Chevrolet plans to introduce the SSR, left, and the HHR, center, with a design similar to that of the 1949 Chevrolet Suburban, right. Officials said the HHR was expected to compete with the Chrysler PT Cruiser, which also has a retro look.

Story here.

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
I knew the SSR was coming out soon, but hadn't heard about the HHR. Will they use an existing frame/underbody or create a new one? If they use an existing one: which one will they use?

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
The article requires a NY Times login. (It's free.)

Mr. Cowger said that G.M. was developing a new crossover vehicle, the Chevrolet HHR, as part of its product assault. The vehicle would very likely compete most directly with the Chrysler Group's PT Cruiser and, like it, would be manufactured on a base used to make small cars.
I hope they don't use the Cavalier base: that thing is ancient. Maybe they'll use the Omega chasis the new Grand Am and Malibu will be based on.

David Preston

Supporting Actor
I kinda like the SSR and never heard of the HHR. I hope Chevy wakes up and puts some more power in their line up. I wish that SSR would have close to 400hp. Then it would be more appealing.

John Miles

Stunt Coordinator
You know, it's funny how in the Fifties, nobody was deliberately building cars that looked like they did back at the turn of the century. Yet that's exactly what our manufacturers are doing now. Are we completely out of new ideas that don't involve rounding a few more edges and raising door-sill heights a few more centimeters per year?

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I wish that SSR would have close to 400hp. Then it would be more appealing.
I'm just the opposite. The reason I won't consider the SSR is because it has too much power as it is. With only 140 HP 4-cylinder, It would make a great fun and efficient car for job commuting and occasional, light-duty Home Depot runs. But even with the power that Chevy is saying it will have, along with the resulting insurance rates and fuel consumption, I won't even consider it.

If I were just dreaming, then sure, 400HP would make it very appealing. But in the real world, such a beast would be a huge liability for me to own.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
She's a heavy gal: Curb Weight: 4760 lbs. Gross Weight: 6050 lbs. I don't know if 140hp egine could even get it moving.
GAHH! I had no idea!

In that case, bring on the horsepower!

Jeez, how can something so tiny be so heavy? The soul of a CRX in a pickup truck body, this definitely is not.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
The Cavalier platform (dates back to '82!) is finally going away, this should be the last year for it. GM is practically giving Cavs away right now.

David Preston

Supporting Actor
Well I wasn't aware it was that heavy either. So let's make it 500hp. Dodge will have a 500hp truck this year and I think the Ford Lightning will have 500 next year. So we can hope Chevy sees this.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
All these crazy Corvette horsepower numbers... I'll be surprised if this thing has over 350hp.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Competing with the PT Cruiser... Aren't they a little slow out of the gate ? The PT Cruiser seems ancient in this world of ever-changing styles - wonder how the PT's sale numbers are....

Gee - maybe GM will come out with a minivan next ;)

brentl

Senior HTF Member
"I hope they don't use the Cavalier base: that thing is ancient." Yeah, and it's not like GM to reuse crap for 30-40 years!!

I guess it's the best way to keep cost down. Stick to Honda engines and you should be happy(the Solstice comes to mind).

Brent

Jeff_Krueger

Stunt Coordinator
Probably because the proposed horsepower is the same both 240 but the solstice would get its power from a supercharged ecotec. Since it is supercharged it will be a more hearty 240hp, due to the higher torque.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Indeed there was a 1949 Suburban. After the Second World War, "suburbia" began in ernest as GI's came home and received Federal loans (the GI Bill) to build houses and move out of the cities. Here's a site that sells parts for the car!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks