What's new

Coming Soon from BBC Worldwide Americas (1 Viewer)

Brandon Gantt

Second Unit
From the BBC America Shop:
All Creatures Great and Small: The Complete Series 4(DVD)
Series Four continues the story of James Herriot (Christopher Timothy), his wife Helen (now played by Lynda Bellingham) and his volatile but warm-hearted partner, Siegfried Farnon (Robert Hardy).

Another Country (DVD)
In a shabby apartment in Moscow, an American journalist asks a retired spy why he betrayed his country and defected to the USSR fifty years ago. The answers take them back to 1932, where in the closed atmosphere of a British boys' school, young Guy Bennett (Rupert Everett) realizes that his attraction to his classmates is more than a passing phase.

Are You Being Served? Again!: The Complete Series (DVD)
After the death of beloved department store owner, Young Mr. Grace, the staff of Grace Brothers discovers that their pension fund has been invested in a quaint country inn. Unfortunately, a clause in the contract stipulates that they cannot sell the inn and claim their money back, so Mr. Humphries, Mrs. Slocombe, Captain Peacock, Miss Brahms and Mr. Rumbold all reluctantly agree to become partners and turn the inn into a money-making venture.

D-Day: Reflections of Courage (DVD)
D-Day: Reflections of Courage tells the epic story of the preparation and execution of the Allied invasion of Normandy. It tells the story of the defence of the Western Front by the forces of the German Empire, and of the complex and deadly secret war fought by the men and women of France and mainland Europe.

Doctor Who: Earthshock (DVD)
The mysterious disappearance of an archaeological team is merely the prelude to a deadlier threat for the Doctor and his companions - the Cybermen want to destroy Earth, and will use any means at their disposal.

Doctor Who: Pyramids of Mars (DVD)
The Doctor and Sarah witness strange and deadly events as Sutekh, who has lain imprisoned in a pyramid for thousands of years, employs Scarman and a legion of robotic mummies in an elaborate scheme that may bring about the destruction of the world.

Jane Austen Collection (DVD)
This collection includes the complete works of Jane Austen in over 22 hours of classic television. These timeless novels spring vividly to life in lovingly remastered original productions from the BBC. Includes: Sense and Sensibility; Emma; Mansfield Park; Persuasion; Northanger Abbey.

Pennies From Heaven (DVD)
Part Everyman drama, part Busby Berkley spectacle, Pennies from Heaven follows the amorous and financial struggles of a sheet-music salesman, Arthur Parker (Bob Hoskins), during the depression thirties in England. Despite the misfortunes he encounters, Arthur still believes that life can be like a song.

Pride (DVD)
Real animals are the stars of this groundbreaking, live-action family film, set against the visually stunning backdrop of East Africa. It combines breathtaking natural history footage, cutting-edge animation techniques and sophisticated animation techniques that allow the animals to talk to each other and tell the story themselves.

So Graham Norton (DVD)
Graham Norton's wicked wit, scandalous interviews and outrageous antics have made him an icon on both sides of the Atlantic. Whether he's being sweetly vulgar or disgustingly sweet, there's nothing he can't get away with! This brand new DVD features the best bits from this award-winning chat show, featuring many of your favorite celebrity guests.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I'm glad that Are You Being Served? Again! is coming to DVD. I wish BBC America and BBC worldwide could find a way of releasing Karaoke and Cold Lazarus to DVD.

i also wonder if any more Rumpole episodes will be released to DVD soon. Does anyone know how well the first DVD set sold?

Be Seeing You,
David Blackwell

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

They're all out in R2 if that's of any use.

Going back on topic, I strongly recommend Another Country and the Jane Austen collection if you don't already have the separate editions.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
Good Neighbors (The Good Life), that's the one I want--complete, not just the final-series set now out from Acorn.

Wade K

Second Unit
I'm still wanting Michael Palin's various travel series (all of them). There's got to be a ton of interesting film that couldn't make it into the final cut due to time, etc. I'm this close to picking up the Region 2 releases.

Mark Lx

Second Unit
Good Neighbors is good.
I'm not sure if they're BBC but I'd like to see "One Foot in the Grave" and "Waiting For God". "On The Buses" too (I've got the movies on VHS, but not the episodes). The Jane Austen looks interesting. I'd like to see a collection of Dickens adaptions that were on PBS or Knowlwdge (in Canada). I know they did Bleak House and Martin Chuzelwick(sic) for example.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Good to see ACG&S S4 coming out, although I will miss Carol Drinkwater as Helen. Might grab the Austen set as well.
Hear, hear. What's the holdup on these??

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Where's CHEF! with Lenny Henry? The best comedy about misanthropic service providers since FAWLTY TOWERS!

I'm the best, so do not test
The top of my profession
Master of my chosen field
Of that there is no question

"I'm not a nice person. I'm a s*** who likes to cook!"

JohnDMoore

Stunt Coordinator
I might check out Manor Born, as I've heard excellent things about it.
Anyone know why we can't get the first three series of Good Neighbors/The Good Life on DVD? One of my all-time favorite shows, it's a shame I only have a quarter of it.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

'On the Buses' is out in the UK. However, not BBC but ITV (at the time OTB was made, our sole commercial channel).

As far as I know, One Foot in the Grave only has a single DVD of 'greatest hits' in R2, and 'Waiting for God' hasn't any DVD releases. Both are BBC.

I personally find it inexplicable why OTB (which was never that popular, was hated by the critics, and didn't even feature in a recent UK poll of top 50 favourite comedy programmes) has so many releases whilst OFITG and WFG (both hugely popular and critically acclaimed and in the top 50) are so shabbily treated, but that's the BBC for you.

To check on details of Brit discs, you may find the following site useful: http://play.com/.

Sean A

Stunt Coordinator
What about Later with Jools Holland ? One of the best music shows ever. 4 compilation discs are available in the UK, and as expensive ($34.99) Canadian imports. Great performances from the likes of Clapton, McCartney, Bowie, Metallica, and so many others. Can't believe that it hasn't been released in the US

Deb Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
To the Manor Born is one of my alltime favorite Britcoms. Penelope Keith as Audrey bears only a passing resemblance to Margo of Good Life. It's a wonderful series.

FYI, Acorn UK releases tend to be region 0, and they have released more comedies in the UK than in the US so far. Series 1 through 4 of Good Life will all be out by July in the UK.

I hope they put No, Honestly! (which is also London Weekend, rather than BBC) out on DVD. I have the Acorn VHS sets, but they take up so much more space than is necessary for 13 half-hour episodes.

Trouble and Strife is another Britcom I'd love to see released. That was on commercial TV, too, not BBC. And then there are a couple of Peter Davison comedies I'd like to see - Holding the Fort would be lovely ... :>

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy

Well, I certainly bought the first set; however, IMHO the best episodes are the later ones with the second Hilda. I have most of these on some very expensive BBC VHS sets, but would dearly love to replace them with DVD.

I also love To The Manor Born , and will be picking those up.

ScottRichard

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
Was anyone a fan of This Life? I got so hooked on that show and would love to see it on DVD. Has it even been released anywhere?

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

FWIW, No sign of No, Honestly (or Yes, Honestly, for that matter) appearing in the UK (I doubt if all that many people even remember the series in the UK). A shame, because it was a nice series.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

Both series were released on VHS in the UK (PAL format), but only the first series ever made it to DVD. All videos/DVDs of "This Life" are currently out-of-print.

I think you can find copies of the R2-PAL DVD on eBay, but I think they trade for inflated prices, being out-of-print and all (and unless you have a multi-system VCR, you might as well forget about the VHSes, season 2 of which seems to trade for high amounts being the only official release).

I'm not sure what killed "This Life" on DVD. Best I can remember, the box set was expensive, thin on extras, and like the VHS release, was slightly edited for music clearance reasons. Not sure if some/all of the edits were merely "substitutions" or were outright cuts. Most likely, the fans of the show had already picked up the VHS sets (which preceeded the discs) and, with the lack of extras and high price, couldn't justify re-purchasing the episodes (this is the same thing that practically killed "Lexx" on DVD in the UK, too).

Perhaps BBC Worldwide or A&E/New Video could release a set in R1, as the show has gotten airplay on BBC America, but in a severely edited form (remember, this show had adult language and nudity).

Frank Ha

Second Unit
Real Name
Frank Harrison
I've ordered "To The Manor Born". It's one of my favorites, but "Good Neighbors" is what I want most. I'm beginning to wonder if the first 3 series will ever be released on DVD.:frowning:
By the way, I'll be getting "The Thin Blue Line" as well as "To The Manor Born". June will be a good month!:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks