Coming improvements to delay RPTV purchase?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Robert K, Dec 10, 2003.

1. Robert K

Robert K Agent

Dec 8, 2003
    10 years ago, I agonized over buying my Sony XBR 57" as HDTV was touted as just around the corner. Well now HDTV is here (sort of), and my TV is 10 years old which means time for a new one TV[​IMG]

Is there any new technologies or product releases expected that might make one hold back from purchasing a 65" or so RP HDTV? (BTW the only mistake I made 10 years ago was not getting the 65" model, which I wont make again!)

Plasma flat panels will not be an option for me, so that one is eliminated.

Any thoughts on the subject are appreciated.

Thank you
  2. John S

John S Producer

Nov 4, 2003
    I took the plunge, so I guess I decided the answer to that was no.....

I decided not to get the built in Over the Air tuner, intitally because I was going to get comcast hd.

But now, I think I am going to try to get an OTA tuner instead. Heck, you can find them on ebay for around $200 and below.

I still may look at comcast though, I called again today and got a different phone person, that was a little better, but really had no hard core information on local channel HD support.

One channel he said was not broadcasting at all as to the reason they were not offering it, is clearly listed as up and on the air at DTV and HDTV websites.

480p, and 1080p used to be the only content too...

Now I see 540p and 720p all the time in addition.
    HDTV is still very confusing for consumers, I can only hope they can improve equipment, so the end user does not have to think so much to get a great picture or in some cases maybe even the correct picture.