Coming April 25th: The Real World Movie...and you know what that means...

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Scott Weinberg, Apr 8, 2003.

1. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Oct 3, 2000
    I leer and pander only because that's clearly what I'm supposed to do when presented with an Uncensored Look at Spring Break.

Silly and enlightening back-story courtesy of New Line's The Real Cancun (which went through several name changes) was trying to beat Universal's Spring Break: The Movie to theaters. New Line announced a summertime release. Universal jumped to May. Now NL is releasing this one at the end of this month! Filming wrapped on March 23rd! Like TWO WEEKS AGO! Always the sign of quality filmmaking.

Still, boobs are a big selling point.

Have a look at the website. There's a trailer and video intros to all 16 polished participants. Make sure you watch Nicole's video and take note of how many guys she's 'hooked up with' in one night.

Movie hits April 25th. Expect an R rating. Share your thoughts.
  2. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Jan 23, 2000

This is so amazingly retarded. I mean, are the sales of the Girls Gone Wild videos that good?

I guess these have to be dirt cheap, but I have to imagine that a large part of their target demo won't even be able to get tickets. I predict a record number of sneak-ins.
  3. Jefferson Morris

Jefferson Morris Supporting Actor

Jun 20, 2000
    How worried should cinephiles be about the release of this film? I, for one, am praying to every god in every faith that this film bombs resoundingly. If it does succeed, the precedent could prove too tempting for Hollywood to resist. Apparently this thing was shot and edited in little more than a month or two. Why bother with nonsense like "scripts" or "directors"? Pay your "talent" a pittance (or even nothing), make sure they're all svelte, vapid, and immature, and you're off and running.

It's not that I really fear that scripted entertainment will die off altogether. After all, scripted TV still exists. But an awful lot of prime time is occupied by reality programs, leaving those old scripted dinosaurs with a dwindling piece of the pie.

In the beginning, "reality" TV qualified as "counterprogramming." Soon, I fear, the scripted stuff will be the "counterprogramming," and my television will become little more than a monitor for my DVD player.

With 10 minutes of g**damn, f**king, motherf**king commercials to endure in front of most theatrical films these days, movies are looking more like TV every minute. Can our beloved darkened auditoriums avoid the reality craze?

--Jefferson Morris

P.S. I should point out that I consider "reality" programming and documentary filmmaking to be two completely distinct animals. By "reality," I'm referring to programs that artificially engineer situations for non-name actors/models/students, etc. to interact in, and record the results.