What's new

3D "Comin' at Ya!" 3-D Blu-Ray up for pre-order (1 Viewer)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
David M. Ballew said:
They're bringing Comin' At Ya! to 3-D Blu-Ray in January. Love it or hate it, it is an historically significant 3-D film, the one that kicked off the boom of the early 1980s.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015CVRPL8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Anyone know anything about the company releasing it, i mean what are the usual quality of their titles and has any work been done to align the left and right eyes so that the presentation is top knotch, these are the things i would love to know.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
It's worth checking out the product page at MVD distribution: http://mvdb2b.com/s/CominAtYaBluRay3D2D/MVD7737BR. It appears that some rejuvenative work has been done to prep the title for a Real D theatrical release. Whether that translates to realignment remains to be seen. Saying it can't be any worse than Amityville 3D sight unseen seems damning with faint praise, so I'm not prepared to make that judgment. Pre-order at the site above is under $19, but I don't know what they charge for shipping.

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
They charge $5 for USPS 1st class shipping.

It's slightly cheaper than Amazon with shipping included. But Amazon's 2 day prime shipping makes it worth it.

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I remember seeing this at the cinema way back when. The movie was underwhelming to say the least but the 3D was pretty good.

I'll probably still buy it if it's region free, which isn't stated in the product description.

pinknik

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
Stephen_J_H said:
Greg, how did this look in FS?

Stephen, it's been a long time since I last viewed it. To the best of my recollection, it looked "okay". SD bootleg soft, window boxed. I think the close up pop-out stuff just gets too close to the lens without compensating with convergence or reduced interocular. On the other hand, I think the normal shots exhibit that 50s-80s depth that modern 3-D pics seem to lack.

I'll have to find it and re-watch to see if that is correct. :)

I'd love if the 3-D Film Archive (or someone similarly qualified) could transfer even the silliest exploitation 3-D dreck (which this certainly qualifies as) to 3D blu-ray. As it is, at least I'll have it with better picture and color on a disc that I can just throw on a player instead of a computer. I'll count that as a win.

I really think there's an audience for a handful of these 3-D titles from the 80's. The two big sellers would be Friday the 13th Part III in 3-D and Jaws 3-D, but I think folks that were kids in the 80s might like to see Metal Storm, Spacehunter, etc. I know I would.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
It was a long time ago, and I could be wrong but I remember Friday the 13th Part 3, Jaws 3D and Amityville 3D having the best 3D. The other 80's titles like Spacehunter, Metalstorm, etc. had more subdued 3D.

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
RolandL said:
It was a long time ago, and I could be wrong but I remember Friday the 13th Part 3, Jaws 3D and Amityville 3D having the best 3D. The other 80's titles like Spacehunter, Metalstorm, etc. had more subdued 3D.

That's how I remember it as well. One from that era that I do recall having good 3D was PARASITE with Demi Moore.

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Todd Moore
Define subdued. Most of the 80s films went nuts with gimmick shots. I think Spacehunter had the least number but I tend to remember the others tossing a lot out of the screen, some of it pretty silly. This should be fun to watch on a 3D TV. I wonder if it will be the longer international version?

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I recall reading an interview with (I think) the DP of "Spacehunter" in which he said the 3D was deliberately underplayed to emphasise depth rather than lobbing things at the camera. I think they may have overdone it but it's still a decent movie.

On the big screen, like many 80s 3D outings, it was a bit on the murky side (although nothing like as bad as "Treasure of the 4 Crowns") so any Blu-ray release, should it ever come to pass, would probably look much better.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Try watching Friday the 13th Part III in 2D. It almost seems like they were ripping the set apart and throwing the pieces at the screen, the pop-out was so OTT. Spacehunter's 3D was somewhat subdued but there were some memorable pop-out moments. Have never been able to sit through Jaws 3, in either 3D or 2D. Most of the other 80s titles I haven't seen.

I'd like to see some of the Earl Owensby 3D titles make their way to BD 3D.

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I remember seeing Friday 13th 3D with some work colleagues on its first run, one of whom had never seen 3D before. He was so startled by the titles that he actually ducked.

Mind you, so did I when the TV aerial swung out of the screen.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
The 80s titles are a lot of fun. I enjoy the Amityville 3D disc, even if it isn't a top-notch presentation.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
StephenDH said:
I recall reading an interview with (I think) the DP of "Spacehunter" in which he said the 3D was deliberately underplayed to emphasise depth rather than lobbing things at the camera. I think they may have overdone it but it's still a decent movie.

On the big screen, like many 80s 3D outings, it was a bit on the murky side (although nothing like as bad as "Treasure of the 4 Crowns") so any Blu-ray release, should it ever come to pass, would probably look much better.
It was murky because of the inherent issues with the over/under setup. You're using half the light for each eye, further reduced by polarisation. The 3D Film Archive has a great section in its article on The Bubble on the single projector formats that goes a long way to explaining the various attempts to cope with light loss, including printing the films "lighter". http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/home/The-Bubble

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks