What's new

Comics: The Weekly Rundown (was Heroes Con 2006) (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Kick-Ass 2 ended today. I think this volume will go down as the Empire Strikes Back volume. AFAIK, Kick-Ass 3 hasn't been announced, so it should be a while until we see what happens next. Hit Girl is a prequel.
I think, in some ways, I actually prefer the movie continuity--namely, Dave and Katie. I don't know if they can get away with brutalizing movie Katie. I'd really rather they dropped that.
The Secret Service promo was good. It was entertaining seeing Mark Hamill defending the prequels. I wonder if Millar talked to him to get his side of the debate. The bit with the blinking light made me literally laugh out loud. Gibbons still has it, and his work looks particularly nice on glossy paper with modern coloring. I'm down.
I also bought Supercrooks, but I haven't read it. I like Yu's art. In fact, I like the entire stable of artists currently working on Millarworld projects: Gibbons, Yu, Romita Jr., Quitely, McNiven. Yow, that's some insane talent. I wonder if Jupiter's Children will be able to go toe-to-toe with Saga, which everyone (but me) is loving.
Edit: For some reason (I guess the title), I was thinking Jupiter's Children was a sprawling space opera. Nope, it sounds a little more traditional and earthbound. Guess it won't be competing with Saga at all.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Greg_S_H said:
Kick-Ass 2 ended today. I think this volume will go down as the Empire Strikes Back volume. AFAIK, Kick-Ass 3 hasn't been announced, so it should be a while until we see what happens next. Hit Girl is a prequel.
I think, in some ways, I actually prefer the movie continuity--namely, Dave and Katie. I don't know if they can get away with brutalizing movie Katie. I'd really rather they dropped that.
Yes, it's definitely The Empire Strikes Back because things got dark. I'm assuming that most people (certainly myself) laughed at nearly all the crazy violence in the first mini-series so I like that Millar changed things up and made the violence have some terrible consequences with all the stuff that happens to Katie and Dave's dad. That being said, I still loved Hit Girl telling the Russian baddie that she "shouldn't have turned your back on me, bitch." and the ensuing bloodbath.
At the end, it says "End Of Book Three" and I thought it was a dopey error but maybe Hit Girl will retroactively become Book Two? Millar is claiming that the Hit Girl comic will be monthly but since it took 17 months for the 7 issues of Kick-Ass 2 to come out, I'll believe that when I see it.
Saga is off to a very interesting start. I read an interview with Brian K. Vaughan where he said that he wanted to maintain total ownership over the book so he can make sure that it's never sold and turned into a movie or a TV show. It's refreshing to see a guy who wants his comic book to only be a comic book. Also, his contract stipulates that the book will remain at $2.99 for the entirety of its run and be at least 22 pages (another refreshing change of pace that I'm happy to support).

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Unless he said it recently, I think things have changed. I can't imagine there being enough material to carry an ongoing between the first and second KA volumes.
That stuff about Saga is cool, but I just didn't care for the book itself. It just didn't make a great impression with me when the first dialog is "Am I shitting myself?" and the same character later says, "Suck my hemorrhoids!" And then TV-headed robots having sex? Just really not my scene. Other than Jedi powers, I don't particularly like mixing magic with sci-fi, either.
I ended up with two copies, though, and that may end up being a score. I understand this thing is sold out at the retail level and people are looking all over for it. I would never part with my Chew 1, so maybe this'll be what puts my kids through college. :D

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Greg_S_H said:
Unless he said it recently, I think things have changed. I can't imagine there being enough material to carry an ongoing between the first and second KA volumes.
Sorry, I didn't mean that it was an ongoing title, I meant that the Hit Girl mini-series would come out on a monthly basis. I'm guessing Kick-Ass 3 is probably next year?
That stuff about Saga is cool, but I just didn't care for the book itself. It just didn't make a great impression with me when the first dialog is "Am I shitting myself?" and the same character later says, "Suck my hemorrhoids!" And then TV-headed robots having sex? Just really not my scene. Other than Jedi powers, I don't particularly like mixing magic with sci-fi, either.
BKV does call it Star Wars for perverts. :) There's definitely some real weirdness in that book and those TV headed robots were crazy even before they started banging. I'm not an authority on Vaughan but I've read all his major works and this unlike any of those other books. One thing I like that Vaughan nabbed from Star Wars was dropping the audience into the middle of a crazy situation with almost no info. As a reader, I know I'll catch up but I like being a little behind compared to the characters.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Oh, yeah. I remember his blurb saying it would come out monthly. I thought when some of these books were announced, included Hit Girl, they were supposed to be ongoing. But, I don't think any of them turned out to be.
I'll probably give Saga a chance for a while, if only because I know if I skip issue 2 and decide I want it down the road, I won't be able to get it. Maybe it'll turn me around, but I don't know.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Greg_S_H said:
I'll probably give Saga a chance for a while, if only because I know if I skip issue 2 and decide I want it down the road, I won't be able to get it. Maybe it'll turn me around, but I don't know.
Having the first two or three issues could look more attractive to a potential eBay bidder than just having the first one.
Speaking of eBay, the other day I saw that the first issue of The Walking Dead Weekly going for about $25. It's amazing that that series is so popular that even reprints command a decent size price tag and even crazier when you consider how easy it is get that first issue online or in a trade. If only I had the foresight to buy up a bunch of copies and sell them but I would never have thought that a reprint would be worth anything.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I wonder if Image Firsts is worth anything. I might have one, can't remember. I know I bought the Chew issue.
Wow, people are dumb. They bidded an Image Firsts up to $52! Meanwhile, others bought it for $4 to $7. Some are asking in the $30 range, but it looks like there aren't too many biting at that price.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I doubt anyone reading this thread doesn't already know but Free Comic Book Day is on Saturday. I'll be picking up the Star Wars book and the Buffy The Vampire Slayer book and maybe one or two. I know the idea is to check out some new titles but I guess I'm happy in my rut.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I don't know if I'll bother going in, but I'd probably get the Avengers and the Image sampler. Maybe the DC book.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'll be going in more for the massive sale my shop is having. I recommend getting the Fantagraphics Donald Dog freebie. The fist volume is out, and it's a real gem of a book. Put's every superhero book I've read since Sept to shame.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Russell G said:
I recommend getting the Fantagraphics Donald Dog freebie. The fist volume is out, and it's a real gem of a book.
I was thinking about getting that one but I picked up the Mickey Mouse book last year and wasn't that into it.
My store is having a sale too so I'll pick up this week's books and get the feebies as well.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I know Kirkman will be. They're predicting sales north of 300K. I'll admit I've already reserved the nine regular covers.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Greg_S_H said:
I know Kirkman will be. They're predicting sales north of 300K. I'll admit I've already reserved the nine regular covers.
I'm guessing that with a number that big, alot of people must have ordered all the covers. Plus, I'm sure alot of retailers are ordering more copies in order to get that 1 in 200 variant (already going for between $200 to a mere $650 on eBay).

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Yeah, that is insane. I am not even into sketch covers, so I guess it works out that they tend to be the really high dollar covers. I don't miss them.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
No spoilers but the guy who says "fuck" alot in The Walking Dead 100 is pretty mean. And that's putting it mildly.
Unrelated to that, I can't wait to see Neil Gaiman go back to The Sandman next year. It's only be a mini-series but it'll be nice to see something new.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I have the first 3 Valiant issues waiting for me at home. Can't wait to dig into them this weekend.
Got the 1:50 voice variant on X-O Manowar 1, and the 1:20 Original Cover Homage variant for Harbinger.
Would continue to get them, but the pre-order prices on the variants has gone nuts.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by TravisR /t/237862/comics-the-weekly-rundown-was-heroes-con-2006/570#post_3948512
Unrelated to that, I can't wait to see Neil Gaiman go back to The Sandman next year. It's only be a mini-series but it'll be nice to see something new.
I'm excited for this but torn. Do I buy the single issues or wait for the eventual Absolute edition to match the rest of my collection? Which reminds me I have to read the absolutes still, I never read the whole series ha ha.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I don't have 100 yet since I ordered on elBay. I'm guessing no Daryl? Kirkman, he say no, but I hope he was lying.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Russell G said:
I'm excited for this but torn. Do I buy the single issues or wait for the eventual Absolute edition to match the rest of my collection?
I don't know how long it will be but I just assumed that it will only be 4 or 6 issues. If that's the case, I don't think they can squeeze an Absolute Edition out of that few issues but I'm sure there will be a nice $25 or $30 hardcover after it finishes.
Greg_S_H said:
I don't have 100 yet since I ordered on elBay. I'm guessing no Daryl? Kirkman, he say no, but I hope he was lying.
Answer to that question and no other spoilers for the issue:
No Daryl.

Users who are viewing this thread