Comic enthusiasts help!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Josh Dial, Aug 10, 2004.

1. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Cinematographer

Josh Dial
    First a little background: I used be be an extremely light collector of comics when I was younger, literally buying them with my allowance. I think my last comic was uncanny x-men 189 or in the low 190's.

I've decided to get back into the swing of things again, still in a light capacity.

I was hoping some comic savy folks here could give me some advice on where to start, and what to pick up as far as good issues and trade paperbacks to get.

My tastes in comics:

I try to stay within the Marvel universe, mostly because I've always been there, and i'd like to keep costs low [​IMG] I'm sure DC and dark horse and everyone else rock, but unless they REALLY rock, I doubt i'd pick it up [​IMG]

I generally prefer trade paperbacks or graphic novels for past story-lines, so as to avoid hunting for 20 individual comics.

As far as story-types go, I prefer grand, sweeping epics, involving lots of characters, and with a complicated story line. I especially like "celestial" stories.

For characters, pretty much anything goes, though in the past I have really enjoyed X-men, Thanos, and Fantastic Four.

Here's a list of what I picked up this week, on advice of a guy shopping in my local comic store:

Earth X trade
    Universe X I and II trade
    Paradise X I and II trade
    Origin (wolverine) trade
    Thanos The End trade
    Kingdom Come trade (breaking my marvel only rule)

Based on some other recomendations, i'm looking for input on these:

Age of Appocalypes
    Days of future past (i think i have the name right)
    X-tinction

Also, i'm pretty much open to anything, if the art is awesome, and the story is wicked. The longer the better, and if the trade paperback is out the better [​IMG]

Thanks in advance folks, let those suggestions fly!

cheers!

Josh

2. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Well, that's a hell of a list to start with-lots of long trades there. First, some comments on your requests:

Age of Apocalypse-Fantastic storyline, but you'll have a hard time finding the trades, since I don't think that the entire thing was ever collected. Basically, this was where the entire X-Men line "ended" for four months, and an alternate universe storyline played out. There are collections of each of the four issue Alternate titles, but I don't think that the leadin and conclusions were ever collected. You could try to track down the singles though.

Days of Future Past-There's a trade of this, and it's a good one. Another Alternate Future X-Men storyline.

X-Tinction Agenda-I think there's actually a trade of this (I've got the singles, so I never really paid much attention). A good story, but I can't remember the specifics at the moment.

Now, somce other suggestions. You might have read a bunch of these already, but I'll run off a bunch of stuff that's worth reading (although I buy most of my Marvel stuff monthly, so I can't think of what is in trade offhand):

Marvel stuff:
    -------------

Marvels-The best Marvel Universe spanning story ever (available in trade and a spiffy new hardcover). Better than Kingdom Come.

Infinity Gauntlet-Better than the MU:The End, this is the original cosmic storyline. If you can get the prelude (The Thanos Quest) all the better.

Any of the Marvel Ultimate books-I thought that these would suck, but I was very, very wrong. These "reimaginings" reminded me why the comics were cool in the first place. Some of the best mainstream comics writing I've seen in a long time. Ultimate Spider-Man is particularly good.

Not Marvel stuff:
    -----------------

Stray Bullets (El Capitan)-If you want sprawling epics, this is about as big as you can get. Imagine Pulp Fiction crossed with a Magnolia sized cast-that's the closest I can get to describing this book.

The Sandman (Vertigo)-A very hard book to characterize. It focuses on Morpheus, the lord of Dreams, and his siblings, the Endless (Destiny, Death, Dream, Destruction, Desire, Despair and Delerium). It spans pretty much all of human history at one point or another, and is one of the best series ever. There are 10 trades of the core series, plus two death specials, and two standalone trades published after the series ended. I really can't recommend this one highly enough!

Transmetropolitan (Vertigo)-This one is hit or miss with most people. Basically, take Hunter S Thompson (of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas) and stick him in the future. Basically, an ongoing story about an opinionated bastard doing everything he can to strike back at the system through his writing. I think there are 10 trades of this now that collect the whole series.

That should be a start anyhow. Let me know if you're interested in any other specific series, and whether any of those work out for you.

3. Kachi Khatri

Kachi Khatri Second Unit

Jay

WATCHMEN

4. JamieD

JamieD Supporting Actor

Re: WATCHMEN

Best. Storyline. Ever.

A-freakin-mazing.

5. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

It is a great, great, great crime comic although new issues are going to be scarce for the next year or so, as it's self-published and the writer/artist, David Lapham, is going to be writing Detective Comics for a year.

6. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Yeah, I read about that. I'm assuming that this is going to be another long hiatus, similar to what happened when MMD came out.

This is the only book I can think of that I've been buying since #1 came out that both still exists after this many years, but is only at number 30 something.

7. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    The FF had a great Walt Simonson run in the early 90's, starting with (what else) #337. It ran through the low #350's. I don't know if it was collected, but they were great issues. So were the Simonson Thor's (#337 - 366ish). Those are collected.

I wasn't a fan of the X-tinction Agenda. And I quit during the morass of the early 90's. Age of Apocalypse was pretty damn good, though.

I was a Marvel only nut, but believe you me, DC has some corkers in the Graphic Novels as well. Buy any of the oversized Paul Dini/Alex Ross collections. Cheap and good.

There is some great advice up there (the obvious Watchmen and DKR). Include Batman:Year One and Daredevil: Born Again in your Miller ouevre, though.

I admit to buying the B&N $50 collected Ultimate Spidey (1-39). It was pretty good, though not great.

Jim Lee had a good run on X-Men, particularly X-Men 268 - 278ish.

I am fighting to stay out of modern comics. I have too many hobbies. Though I pick up a trade here and there.

Take care,
    Chuck

8. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

Well, if it makes you feel any better, there's not a whole lot of truly great work coming out these days [​IMG] There's some, but there's too much solid-but-unambitious work being done by talented guys who should know better. Not enough money in the indies, I guess [​IMG]

9. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Cinematographer

Josh Dial
    Wow, there's some good suggestions there, thanks! I think i'll look into the Sandman stuff, as I've heard of the author before, and my roomate loves his work. The Watchmen sounds intriguing, so I think I'll do that as well.

I actually own the infinity gauntlet series from back in the day, that's where most of my current interest comes from. I think i'll look into the marvels stuff as well.

Thanks again guys!

Please, feel free to make more suggestions if you think of em!

cheers!

Josh