Comic coloring: opinions

JayDerek

Stunt Coordinator

My only concern is your use of 'pre-existing' textures on this really, really, really flattens the image.

~Jason

Russell G

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm really not a fan of computer colouring. It always looks too much over the top. I'd try to replicate traditional brush colouring as much as you can.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
My first reaction is positive when I see it. It certainly is better than anything I could create. If I had to be nitpick I'd say this;
Your streetlamp is illuminating the 'air' only on the left side, not the right or bottom. Only one tree is casting a shadow. Your sidewalk needs better texturning and/or 'tiles'. The shading on the newspaper is inconsistent with the tree shading.
Sheesh. I feel like such a mother-in-law now.

Jimi C

Screenwriter
I agree with all that was said. The biggest issue for me is the sidewalk texture just dos'nt look right. It sticks out like a sore thumb. Its a completely different style than everything else.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
...and how is it that the streetlamp's glow is cast upon a building that is so far away?

Jimi C

Screenwriter
Why is the streetlight even on? It looks like its the middle of the day to me. Same goes for the yellow lights coming from the buildings.

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor
The streetlight it on because the long shadows, I would say its closer to 6-7pm. The glow from the light isn't cast on the building but if you look through a street light there is a "halo" that will be seen.

I am working on the textures for the grass, sidewalk and trees. I've taken the lamp glow out and I'll talk to the artist about the clothing issue.

Thanks for all the comments, it helps to have extra eyes give opinions,

Russell G

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I think the thing to remember is you want to draw the viewers eyes to the main part of the picture. I'm guessing in this case it would be the girl. all the textures of the leaves, cement, etc draw the focal point away, instead of to where you want it to go.

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor
There is no real focal point. The only text on the page will kind of be an introduction to the story. The main character isn't even on this page. Maybe thats my problem, I have nothing to focus on...

Russell G

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
no focal point? I'd probably tell the artist to re-evaluate this as a splash page to a comic story. Unless this is going to be a 200 page comic, you probably shouldn't open your story with a superflous piece that has no nearing on the story.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Industrious