What's new

Comic Collecting (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I never bought anything on eBay. Never know what it's going to be. All my buying has been at shops and conventions or people.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
When I was looking for the first isue of Invincible, it was only available in a CGC sleeve for a while. I was on the verge of buying one and then cutting it out of there, seriously. But, then I found a "loose" copy. And, the copy was certainly not mint, but I can live with it. One More Day started in September of 2007. Geez, it's almost been four years. There are guys still holding out hope that it'll be reversed. :(

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkBwiNyGCOtGdHNKZkNGTGY2OVBvYTVTSDdjbzhlaHc&hl=en_US https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkBwiNyGCOtGdEV0WENhREFJV2xnMzh0UmZmTkYtNVE&hl=en_US those two boxes are my prized possession. All Amazing Spider-Man Looks like I'm missing about half of the first 39 issues including issue 39. then from 40 up to somewhere around 450ish I'm missing about 5 issues. I managed to get up to about 574 which was right in the middle of BND I think. I never read any of it.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I don't really keep a spreadsheet of comics I've bought, mainly because I don't want to be reminded of how much money I've sunk into this hobby...

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I'm considering selling so I need to know what I have. What I spent is so unimportant to me, I don't care. I had a ton of fun buying,reading and hunting down the issues I was missing over the years.

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
I thought that this guys sums up the different kind of comic book fans there are. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yILDbtO3zJY&feature=related I am a bit of the first and second. I love reading them, but also love collecting and preserving them. If they go up in value, that is just a bonus.

Ralphie_B

Stunt Coordinator
Ah, comics. I remember getting into them right around the early 90's. So the vast majority of what I have is probably not collectible. And they've all been read and handled (but carefully, and then bagged afterwards). I think I only have a few hundred. Would love to sell them and get them out of my basement! :)

Trying to think of any "highlights" in my collection. I've got issue #1 of Devil Dinosaur from 1978! Funny, that thing is actually older than I am. Most of the Uncanny X-Men issues leading up to (and just past) 300 -- hey Pete, if you want to give those issues another chance, I'll sell 'em cheap! ;-) And for the Frank Miller fans out there, an issue of Wolverine #1 from 1982 (sadly, somewhat worn, and missing a chunk of the back cover).

Memories...

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Very cool thread! I've been collecting comics mostly since the 90's, but I kind of fell of the wagon. I go into them with the Knightfall/Death Of Superman stuff and collected DC heavily until Bruce came back and Supes got married. Then I switched to mostly trade paperbacks and what not. I've never purchased a book in order to re-sell it, I like the stories too much ha ha.

Scott, I'm curious what program you used to catalog everything? I used to keep a spreadsheet but it was a pain, I'm looking for something easier and that might actually give you the current (to a point) value of the book based overstreet or a book like that.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I used to collect comics during the 60s and 70s so the books I have range from the 50s - late 70s. I have the first Supergirl (the one from the planet Krypton, not some protoplasm and the Avengers issue where they find Captain America). During that time I used to draw, ink and color using the illustrations as a guide. I did pretty well back then with kids wanting to buy them for 2 to 3 bucks, which was alot of money for a kid back then. I picked Batman and Superman up again in the 90s during the knightfall series and the Death of Superman. I remember the Superman comic freaking me out since so much of what I was reading then didn't make sense to me, having grown up in the Curt Swan era of Superman. So much had changed since John Byrne revamped the history and legend and I had to go on the net and research how his back story changed.

Reading these posts from everyone, now I understand where some of you come from in your discussion of super hero movies. For example, I remember having read Russel's post of how he thinks all the Superman movies are crap. But if you grew up in the Curt Swan era, you would see that the first one nailed Superman perfectly, as he was then. The 90's Superman is radically different then the 70's Superman and from the 90's perspective, I can see how one might not be as impressed with said movie as someone who was there at the time. Just an observation.

I plan on selling them in about 15 years when I retire ( assuming I CAN retire). Hopefully, they'll bring a good price.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by Gary Seven For example, I remember having read Russel's post of how he thinks all the Superman movies are crap. But if you grew up in the Curt Swan era, you would see that the first one nailed Superman perfectly, as he was then. The 90's Superman is radically different then the 70's Superman and from the 90's perspective, I can see how one might not be as impressed with said movie as someone who was there at the time. Just an observation.

That's a good point. I'm a fan of the older era comics too (I've been buying up those golden "Chronicle" reprints as well) my main issue with the movies is I find them flat out boring. Technically, they're all right. But between the first one being boring, 2-4 being silly and boring and Margot Kidder being annoying in all of them, I just don't like them! :P I prefer Superman Returns to all of them actually, though that's faint praise since Returns has horrible problems all it's own. Lets cross our fingers that the next film is the one that pleases everybody.

Fat chance right? ha ha

I'd love to read your collection though! I've been buying the marvel reprints of the 60's books. They're ridiculously good even by todays standards. I don;t find them corny at all. they managed to make Marvel feel like a real world, something DC never did well at, and hopefully will rectify with the new 52 (though I have my doubts....)

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I was not initially impressed with Margot Kidder either and felt they could have gotten a better actress. However, after seeing screen tests of other actresses, she seemed to nail it best so I have since softened in that stance. The new one may be better than expected and I would like to see the next one more in line with the current incarnation of Supes.

Yeah, 60's marvel was great. Stan Lee was still involved and John "Jazzy" Romita is still my favorite all time artist. Though Neal Adams comes in a close second.

I haven't looked at my collection in years, they are boxed and bagged. Based on some posts here, I should probably dig them out and see if they are still in decent shape. Acid free tape? I may be in trouble already.

ignignokt

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim
Hey everyone, I'm a bit new to the site (but have been reading the Digital Bits for years) and just wanted to chime in for a moment since this is a topic near and dear to my heart. I worked in a comic book store in the early 90s for about 5 years. Obviously you've all heard of Dark Horse Comics, and possibly Mike Richardson, the owner and founder of Dark Horse. Before starting up Dark Horse, Mike had about 4 or 5 comic shops in Portland, OR called Pegasus and that's where I worked. (Now they're all called Things From Another World). Once Mike started the company, the stores started having more and more signings: We had Moebius, Cam Kennedy, Chris Claremont, Matt Wagner, even Anthony Daniels come into the shop and sign books and whatnot. I've forgotten most of the people who came in...I'm older with 3 kids... I don't remember what I did yesterday. It was a strange and interesting job filled with all sorts of customers. I don't buy comics anymore...the cost is too prohibitive for me. (when I'm at the bookstore and I see a title is selling for upwards of $4 I just shake my head.) But I think I ended up with about 10 long boxes filled with a variety of titles. Which brings me to my original point: storage. There's really only one company that I know of that sells acid free bags and boards, and that's Bill Cole Enterprises. http://www.bcemylar.com/ Obviously you can get mylar or mylite bags at your local shop, but the pricing will probably be better through the website since you're going directly to the source. Just wanted to throw that out there. At the very least, buy some mylites and get your comics into those. It will really help protect your books. (I never went with the acid free tape....I just folded the flap on the mylite down...tape just has a nasty way of finding itself stuck to your book when you take it out of the bag.

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
I tried a few program to organize my collection. None of them really nailed all the features I wanted. However, I stuck with "Comic Collector Live". It was pretty easy to add all my comics to their system and I really liked how it showed the covers of every comic I had...even some of the real oddball stuff. It sucks...and mean really sucks...at generating reports. I wind up exporting it to excel and making my own (which is not a big deal). Just not sure why they have not made report generation easier.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'm really excited. I just got three subscriptions-from Marvel: Conan the Barbarian, and the New Star Wars continuation of the 70's era series, and from Boom: Buffy The Vampire Slayer. I haven't read comics in quite a while.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'm really excited. I just got three subscriptions-from Marvel: Conan the Barbarian, and the New Star Wars continuation of the 70's era series, and from Boom: Buffy The Vampire Slayer. I haven't read comics in quite a while.
Marvel also started a new "Savage Sword of Conan" series this month.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks