What's new

Comic Books (1 Viewer)

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Ok, I used to get a bunch of comics when I was younger and I haven't read any since before college. Well I'm getting all of them back at thanksgiving when my parents drop them off at my apartment. Does anyone buy comics anymore? What are some of your favorites? The last ones I had gotten were the Death of Superman series and I have a ton of Groo The Wanderer.

Lisel

Stunt Coordinator
I began buying comics again, after a 10-year hiatus, earlier this year. Among the books I regularly buy (some are limited series) are 21 Down, Alias, Amazing Spider-Man, Beautiful Killer, Birds of Prey, Fables, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, New X-Men, Noble Causes, Route 666, Ruse, Sojourn, Spider-Man: Black Cat, Spider-Man: Blue, Ultimates, and Ultimate Spider-Man & X-Men. Pretty mainstream stuff. Forthcoming are Global Frequency, Batgirl: Year One, Hawaiian Dick, and Archard's Agents. My faves among the regulars are Alias, Fables, Powers, Ruse, and Ult. Spidey.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
I used to buy a lot of books, but now I limit myself to just a few titles such as: Ruse, Sojourn, Rising Stars, Amazing Spider-Man, Bone, Cerebus, Transformers, Transformers: Armada, Spawn. I have also found Sigil and Scion to be good titles from their TPBs of the first issues and may add those as well.

I used to collect all the Supermans and Batmans and Star Treks and Star Wars titles until 1998. Then I sold them off on eBay. I couldn't justify how much I was spending on mediocre stories. But I don't feel so bad dropping $30 or less a month for some good reading as opposed to $100+ for some not-so-good stuff.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I am reading Kevin Smith's Spider-man and the Black Cat series, New X-Men and Marvel Mangaverse (which recently got changed into a Spider-Man miniseries). I have one friend that has over 12 series though :eek:
:D

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I also only buy a few titles, maybe 5-7/month depending on the publication schedule for certain books.

I get (when they come out):

Strangers in Paradise
Ruse
Sojourn
Gen13
Detective (once Jim Lee comes on board)
Stray Bullets
and some other odds and ends.

For me, comics just cost too much nowadays (average price is $2.50-$3 per comic book for a 5 minute read just doesn't cut it anymore).

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
For me, comics just cost too much nowadays (average price is $2.50-$3 per comic book for a 5 minute read just doesn't cut it anymore).
I keep trying to instill some discipline in myself, that most Marvel, Oni, and Crossgen series will be collected into less-expensive (and more readable) trades fairly quickly, but it doesn't seem to be working.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
I haven't bought or read a comic in a very long time. I used to collect Silver Surfer, Spider Man, Thor, the Avengers, and the X-Men. I used to have all 18 original Silver Surfer comics in good condition, wish I still did. I sold them way back in '86 at the ripe age of 18 to finance my stereo addiction.:D I bought a HK integrated amp, Denon CD player, and a pair of Polk tower speakers. Not the greatest system but it rocked the dorms for many years.:D

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I don't even remember all the old stuff I've got coming from my parents next month. I'll have to go through it and see if its worth anything. Ahhh...nothing like selling my childhood :) My dad used to know someone who worked for some comic publisher and he would come home with tons of stacks of books each month. Some really wierd stuff, I wonder if any of its worth anything these days.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I haven't purchased a new comic book for a long time, though I may change that with the new Jim Lee BATMAN story arc that is beginning this week. I do buy some older Golden and Silver Age books, mostly Batman, Spiderman and EC Comics; but they can be awfully expensive in nice shape so I usually go for the lesser condition reading copies.

Steve Enemark

Second Unit
ANY of Alan Moore's "America's Best Comics" are worth buying, reading, reading again, buying a second copy for your grandchildren... you get the idea. :emoji_thumbsup:

Eve T

Supporting Actor
Cry For Dawn and anything Linsner does (artwork is superb)

Anything Danzig does (Verotik comics)

Anything dark like the old Faust ones and Satanika comics.

I have a whole mess of comics, some very rare and pricey. I'm thinking about selling some of them on Ebay. I have an auction up right now for a very rare Cry For Dawn portfolio.

Comics are good fun, I'm the only chick I know in my state that has such a love for comics. Guess I'm an odd ball....

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
lisel i beg you please make your font bigger.:frowning:

Lisel

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry, TonyD (and to others for going off-topic). My font size looks the same as the other posters' in this thread, except for Eve's, which looks smaller to me. I've got IE set to viewing size "medium." According to the Edit Profile page in the HTF User Control Panel:
a standard font size would be 2 and not 12. If you use something like a size of 12 your font size will be too big. The maximum font size you can use is 4.
I'm using font size 2. What font size would you suggest?

Lisel

Eve T

Supporting Actor
No, mine is bigger than yours. My font that is :laugh:
I'm having trouble reading your font as well, but if I get closer to the computer screen it's not much of a bother.

Lisel

Stunt Coordinator
How's this? I've changed to Verdana, 3.

And it looks huge to me, but if it's better for you all...

Odd. Verdana, 3 change apparently hadn't taken for first line.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Lisel your font looks just great, it was okay on your first post here, I don't know why Tony thought it was too small, unless you went back and edited it.
Hows my font? Nice? Hows this one? No? Ok how about this? hmmm ;)
erm *cough* ok, comics, haven't bought comics in donkeys years, the last ones I remember collecting were the 'Savage Sword of Conan', Marvel, about 20 years ago, and I still have them somewhere, loved that B/W artwork.

Jason Ly

Agent
Just a little clarification about a title that was mentioned above.

Preacher was a book that ran from the mid to late nineties. Ennis and Dillon ended the book after about 70 or so issues, when the story wrapped up(and before it jumped the shark, so to speak. You can find the whole run in 9 trade paperbacks these days and I highly recommend you pick these up if love comics as it is as well written and drawn a book as you will find. The only caveat is that if you are offended by strong sexual, violent, or somewhat sacrilegious content this is not a book you will like.

Jason

Lisel

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for your support, Steve. I didn't edit my first post, btw. My apologies again to all for muddying the thread.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Lisel your font is a bit too big now, compared to Jason's and mine, but its very readable.
Don't apologise I like it when threads go off on a tangent, livens things up a bit.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks