Comic book geeks make their own Spider-Man movie?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Michael St. Clair, Jul 28, 2004.

1. Michael St. Clair

Boy, these comic book geeks (I'm a bit of a comic geek myself) are mad as heck:

http://www.secretspidermanmovie.com/main.php

Get a life, guys. Things change when you adapt them, regardless of whether the source is a comic, a novel, or an epic poem. What works in one medium sometimes doesn't work as well in another. The Spider-Man movies are not hurting the treatment of comics in film.

I eagerly await downloading your amateur 'Spider-Man 3'. [​IMG]

2. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I'm wondering why they don't have a problem with the X-Men movies? And even the "Ultimate" line of comic books, which have changed the Spider-Man history. It all seems rather inconsistent.

3. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

As long as Stan Lee and others who have been involved with Spider-Man and other comics throughout the years don't have a problem with some minor changes, I don't see a problem. Guess that's just me.

4. Marvin Richardson

Marvin Richardson Supporting Actor

After watching that "trailer" all I can say is what a bunch of deluded individuals. Why in the world are they picking on Spider-Man? Oh wait, I know; its the number one superhero movie.
    Someone should pull them aside and have them make a Catwoman movie. I'm sure that would be better than the garbage that is out there right now.

5. Grant H

Grant H Cinematographer

More power to them!!

AFAIK, Stan Lee's Exec Producer was honorary in SM 1.

I'm sick of every SM movie fan using that as a defense for the movies' shortcomings. It always comes out even when it doesn't even apply to criticizms I've made. It's pretty much total BS when applied to SM, oh yeah, IMO.

These guys aren't hurting anyone. Let them have their fun.

6. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I think that it is a valid point when the criticism is that the movie deviates from the source. After all, any adaptation of original material to a different media requires changes; if for no other reason than the media is different and therefore how the material is presented must also be different, taking into account the limitations and possibilities of both the source and the new media.

Plus many comic books are not consistent from year to year and issue to issue. Where it not for changes, Superman would still only be leaping tall buildings--not flying to other planets.

To be sure, some changes are less successful and necessary than others. Personally I like the kind of change where Spiderman is created by a DNA change instead of radioactivity—even though this is rewriting comic book history.

7. Marvin Richardson

Marvin Richardson Supporting Actor

Grant, I was going to spout off a long winded retort to your post, but there isn't much point. You should call those guys and dedicate your time...really.
    I think its funny that they are making an anti-Raimi Spider-Man but they don't have a problem using the images and logos from the movie to promote their website. Perhaps they should draw the character themselves at least? Still copyright infrigement, but at least let it be your own.

8. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

I thought the same thing.

9. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

When I first saw the post, I thought that was a link to Grant H's website. [​IMG]

I accept that in any new adaptation, the main guy in charge is going to have some of his own creative input into the process. Sometimes out of necessity, sometimes because he likes the idea better.

I don't see how this is any different from what they did with "Ultimate Spider Man". I mean, that telling of Peter Parker's origin does some variations on the story as well.

As long as some of the basics are there, I don't have a problem with it.

Jason

10. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

The Spider-Man movies don't make a lot of huge changes from the comics. The only one I consider major is Mary Jane's character. They do have a page on the site explaining why Spider-Man, but I don't understand it.

11. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    You prefer following the clone mess?

12. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

Well, the cutting edge, fresh editing style showcased in the "trailer" certainly has me excited about this project. And by "excited", I mean "curled up in the fetal position with a gun to my head".

Here's hoping Marvel and Sony lay the smackdown on these morons.

I might have been more sympathetic to these guys trying to "show 'em how it's done" if they'd tackled a property in actual need of such an effort. As it is, they might as well pee into the wind.

13. Michael St. Clair

Yep. Actually, the movies feel more faithful to the Lee/Ditko/Romita Spider-Man than the 'Ultimate Spider-Man' comic does...at least to me.

As far as things like the radioactive spider, what worked in 1964 doesn't always work in 2004. The age of the atom was still all the rage (witness Hulk, Fantastic Four, etc), and audiences hadn't yet 'been there' and 'seen that'. Having a radioactive spider bite transform Peter in the 21st century would seem cheesy as hell, regardless of the medium. Many of the origins would surely be different if Lee/Kirby/Ditko/etc were creating these characters today.

The things that really define these classic Silver-age Marvel comics (setting them apart from the DC and Timely comics that came before) is the angst and the relationships, not the minutiae of the origins and mechanisms of the powers. And the Spider-Man movies have captured that in spades.

14. Travis W.

Travis W. Second Unit

One of the interviewees said it exactly: movies and comics are two completely different entities. It's only stupid not to expect some changes when adapting the two. Hellboy is about the closest I've seen to a true adaptation but Spider-Man and X-Men still work even though they're not TRUE adaptations meaning they've had a few changes.

Case in point, this Secret Spider-Man movie probably won't even get off the ground.

15. Michael St. Clair

I chuckled at that. The irony of having this statement in their own trailer was apparently lost on these guys...

16. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

Agreed, nit-picking on these things and going to the extent of making a whole film is beyond silly. I bet the web-slinging around the city will look fantastic though.

17. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

It was hard to hear some of the things in the trailer. But, in one scene I think you hear from Richard Donner about making sure the movie respects the fans. Which makes me feel better about the new Superman movie. Because, I believe he will be one of the producers.

18. Jonathan Carter

Jonathan Carter Supporting Actor

Don't put to much faith in Donner. He gave us Timeline, a horrible movie that also butchered the book it was adapted from.

19. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

"Things change when you adapt them, regardless of whether the source is a comic, a novel, or an epic poem. What works in one medium sometimes doesn't work as well in another."

This is the truth. Imagine how silly it would look if Hugh Jackman was running around in yellow and black spandex with the Wolv pointed mask (they actually did try to create a mask that would work but ended up scrapping it completely)or they referred to Jean as Marvel Girl.

Film isnt hand drawn comic books.

20. Michael St. Clair

That would be silly as hell. And even worse that they used Hugh Grant instead of Jackman! [​IMG]