What's new

Comedy on DVD - Often Overlooked? (1 Viewer)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Decent OAR transfers at the very least should be expected. 90% of those films have yet to be remastered or cleaned up in any way since the DVD format was introduced and altered p&s cuts is not acceptable. Anamorphic widescreen should not be too much to ask, let alone a proper DVD issue.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
I have to give it to Warner...

Once they got over the hump of the early days (with the various MARred movies), they started to get a feel for their DVDs, and the comedies are no exception.

Depending on whether they fit your definition of humor in the specific time period you mention, then "Victor/Victoria", "The Accidental Tourist", "The Spirit Of '76", "One Crazy Summer", "The In-Laws", "The Sunshine Boys", "Gremlins", "Gremlins 2: The New Batch" and "The Goonies" are all comedies that have gotten anamorphic transfers and commentaries (All of them), deleted scenes ("Tourist", "'76", "Goonies", "Gremlins/Gremlins 2"), music videos ("'76", "Goonies") and trailers (All of them).

Granted, Warner still slips up on occasion ("Citizens On Patrol" and "Assignment: Miami Beach", anybody?), but more often than not, Warner gives their titles the dignity of an OAR transfer (excluding the 1:66:1 titles and the beginner's titles from the late 90s) and good supplements.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Sorry if I steered it off-course, but I wanted to note that not all DVD companies give their comedies the shaft.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Too bad they have to slander those efforts with their notorious snapper cases though; Gremlins 1/2 deserves more respect than that!

I guess that's another discussion though...

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks