What's new

Comedians slowly starting to make jokes about Bush again? (1 Viewer)

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
After Sept 11th, there haven't been a lot of jokes about Bush (well,except for in The Onion). I know Jay Leno has started to make jokes about him again, and self-consciously commented on it too. Which others?
The "news" about Bush waving to Stevie Wonder, which was fake of course, helped I bet.
I was just wondering if others have observed this too, and if so, which comedians.
THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT GEORGE BUSH OR HIS POLITICS, PLEASE KEEP THAT OUT OF THE THREAD.
/Mike

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
SNL has not fallen down on the job. At first I was not a fan of Ferrell's takes, but the problem was more with the material he had to work with. Bush is not an easy one to parody. He is not a polished public speaker and is effective at projecting a humble image. Hardly the stuff that a comic can sink his teeth into. Lately thouth, Farrell has hit a couple of home runs with his Axis of Evil skit and the national emergency colors. Circumstances will open up opportunities to be sure.
When you have a public figure like Bush you almost have to invent a personalty that does not exist. Dana Carvey did that with the sr. Bush. George Herbert Walker Bush. It is clear to see where Dubya got his lack of public speaking skills. But Carvey took a little bit of Mr. Rogers and John Wayne, and voila, a thousand points of comedy.
The SNL skits with Darrell Hammond as AlGore and VP Cheney and with them interacting with Farrell's Bush were the best skits of this seasib. Hammond has a little more to work with in his characters as they both talk more and as a result will put their foot in their mouth a bit more.

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
In a related vein, Atty. Gen. Ashcroft is scheduled to appear on Letterman tonight...to SING!!!! Dave's been ribbing him about a song he wrote for a while now..so Ashcroft is going on the show to perform it! Should be fun!

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Well, if by 'joking' you mean a book-length diatribe... ;)
How I love Michael Moore. Its a pity the book hasn't got a UK publisher yet. Might be a trip to Amazon sometime.

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
The SNL parodies are funny. The Michael Moore book is actually about himself(he just got evicted for not paying rent).

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Ashley, Bush isn't easy to parodies of, unless you stick to the mispronounciation of words, which isn't very funny after a while.

I don't watch SNL unfortunately, so I haven't seen the skits there.

It's correct that the jokes about Bush never completely died, but they haven't been very common (IMO). Clinton was a goldmine for comedians, but Bush is a rather dry source of jokes, so far.

Of course, you can make jokes about Bush's policies (like Franken and Moore), but that's not the kind of jokes I meant, I meant ones that are more about the person, not the politics.

/Mike

Denward

Supporting Actor
Now that I think about it, I thought we'd be hearing lots when he hit his head while choking on a pretzel.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Well, as pointed out, "Doonesbury" never let up on Bush even after the attacks. "The Boondocks" went after Bush with a vengeance in light of what happenned (Jesus, how can I not bring up politics and still say what I think the writer and artist behind "The Boondocks" is and what he does and doesn't care about?). They were doing it as recently as Monday...

Robin Williams, currently doing stand-up, is making September 11th jokes while saying that the events themselves weren't funny (I only bring this up because Bush goes hand in hand with the attacks). I don't think you can have it both ways.

Then again, in the big picture, perhaps this means that the misery is finally over and now things can return to normal if they haven't already.

Sincerely,

John "Is okay with Bush and will always feel violated by 9-11" Kilduff

Adil M

Supporting Actor
Overall, it's a good sign.

I had stopped watching Politically Incorrect for a while due to them being more PC. They're closer to normal now.

Steven K

Supporting Actor
The SNL Presidential Debates were some of the funniest skits I've ever seen... mainly because of the parodies of Gore.

"I'd like to tell you about a friend of mine. Her name is Etta Munson. Shes 94.. she's a widow living on social security in Sparta Tennessee. Etta was born with only 1 kidney. She also suffers from Polio, Spinal Meningitis, Lung, liver, and pancreatic cancer, an enlarged heart, diabetes, and a rare for of cystic acne. Now several recent strokes, along with an unfortunate shark attack, have left her paralyzed and missing her right leg under the knee. Just last week, she awoke from a coma to find, due to a hospital mixup, her left arm had been amputated, infected with syphilis, and then re-attached..."

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
In a related vein, Atty. Gen. Ashcroft is scheduled to appear on Letterman tonight...to SING!!!! Dave's been ribbing him about a song he wrote for a while now..so Ashcroft is going on the show to perform it! Should be fun!
Dave should station his two "female presenters/models" just over his shoulder in the background. :D

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
In before the lock. :laugh:
I'd say that it's just common courtesy to back off the president when he's got something like this looming over him. Of course it would look to be in bad taste for a comedian to jab Bush right after it occurred. Now that we're getting back to "insignificant shit" (though Home Theater is much more significant than Britney Spears :confused: ) it's ok to resume our normally scheduled porgramming of making fun of the President.

Tom Rags

Supporting Actor
Steven K-

You had me laughing out loud about that SNL Gore joke about Gretta Munson (or whatever the name). Did you commit that to memory? If so, bravo! I haven't watched SNL much at all this year, but that skit was absolutely A+.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks