What's new

Comcast vs DVI vs Direct TV (1 Viewer)

Percell

Grip
Hello all,
First time writer! I am in the army stationed at Ft. Lewis, Wa, which is just south of Seattle/Tacoma. I have spent the last few months researching and have finally bought the new 46 inch Samsung DLP TV. This was 4 days before Comcast promised 'new' channels along with HD and high speed Internet. The new service was supposed to kick off on August 15th. Long story short and many calls later, we started getting the new channels on September 16th.
I called and ask for and got my new HD box on the 18th. The tech installed the component cables. Comcast offers the following stations in HD; HBOHD, ShowtimeHD, ESPNHD, KOMO 4(local ABC station), 2 different KCTS stations (local PBS channel). Oh, by the way, KTCSHD has the best HD shows in the area!! Comcast also offers one other channel that broadcast some of the Seattle Mariners games.
Ok, so here is the problem(s). Because these channels are 1080i and the other channels aren't, I have to switch my TV from one Component view to antenna mode. The channels on that mode are like watching a VCR type movie. I have to use the Comcast remote control to switch channels as well. So I thought to myself that DVI could solve this problems. I knew that it would improve my basic channels and make my HD channels look amazing. I went to the local store and bought the cable, only to find out the Comcast HD boxes (which is magavox) does not support the DVI signal. I called Comcast and they did indeed tell me that the DVI signal was not going through their box!! The tech told me that they will pass out new boxes in March!!! What gives??? Now I am looking at purchasing direct TV with their DVI input. I have heard that their basic channels looks like DVD and HD are some of the best looking channels out there. Since I am in the army and will be moving in June I know that purchasing Direct TV will be easier since I will own the equipment. What should I do???

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
Actually first off the box is a Motorola, god help us if Magnavox ever started making cable box's again.

With component you should not have to switch between inputs to watch HD & SD the box does one of 2 things. 1.) it scales all material to the set output of the box whether you have it set for 1080i 720p etc with 4:3 override set to off. 2.) you enable 4:3 overide which then makes it output either your choice of 480i or 480p for standard def channels.

Now since you have a Samsung DLP you'll probably want the output set to 720p and 4:3 overide to 480p for 2 reasons.

The Samsung DLP's are 720p native and 2.) they as far as I've seen do no support 480i for component input.

To make these settings you simply hit the power button on the remote and then hit the menu key this will bring up the output settings menu which you can navigate using the arrows on the remote to change output settings.

Jeremy

Bob_Campbell

Stunt Coordinator
Percell,

I have the same problem here in PA. Comcast motorola box with a DVI output but no way of using it. I to am considering a jump to Direct tv.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
JeremyFR is correct. Switch to 720p and enable the 4:3 override to 480p and your regualar stations should display fine.

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
I confirmed last night the Samsung DLP's do not accept a 480i signal on the component inputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks