Comcast users, increased bandwidth?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Scott L, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Last I remember we had 3mb down / 30kb up. I just saw a commercial that said 5mb down, and as I type I'm uploading something to my FTP and it's risen to 45kb. Pretty nice even if I didn't get an email about it. Though I have to say I'm still dreaming of Verizon's Fios service. :b

2. James St

James St Supporting Actor

Speeds have been increased in most markets. They began in a lot of areas on Jan. 26th and everyone should have them my March 31st. Standard speeds were upped from 3000/256 to 4000/384 with modem caps now set at 4400/384. The speed tier (+$10) was increased from 4000/384 to 6000/768. Modem caps are set at 6600/768. I get a consistent 798-801 KB/s download and 88-91 KB/s upload with the speed tier.

3. Brian_D

Brian_D Agent

I got an email about this from Comcast recently. Their instructions were to do a modem power cycle, unplug for 2 minutes then plug it back in. Let it re-acquire connection and you are good to go. Worked for me, as I noticed an immediate improvement after the power cycle.

4. Thomas J. Coyle III

Thomas J. Coyle III Stunt Coordinator

Hi all,

Time-Warner Road Runner Cable here in LA has done the same thing with the cable bandwidth. Just got a letter from TW that said to reset my cable modem and the download speed would go from 3MB/sec to 5MB/sec. I guess that they are trying to keep the DSL providers at bay.
    Regards,
    TCIII

5. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

You know what I love about all this? I have Adelphia. I realize they are in bankruptcy, but get this: they've been hounding all their customers around here, calling them daily for a few weeks. Why? Well, they're offering increased bandwidth! For ONLY an extra $17 per month, we can get our download raised to 4Mbps!!! What a load of crap. Every other major cable player is doing this for free, but Adelphia is adding another ~40% onto the bill for it!?! No thanks. I hope the Time Warner/Comcast takeover happens soon!

6. Nathan_F

Nathan_F Second Unit

Nathan
    Heck, I wish Comcast would offer a $17/month break if I went back down to 1.5mbps.

7. Steve F M

Steve F M Screenwriter

Whats the cap for speed for cable. I know with Verizon FIOS service it preety much the sky's the limit. They offer 15MB download for $44.95 a month which is a couple of $'s cheaper then Comcast's 3 or 5MB download speeds. Comcast and other cable companies are in trouble when Verizon rolls this service out. Video supposely this year also from Verizon. Whats the cable company going to do when they actual have some competition? They have raised prices each year on an average of 5% a year in my area. What crook's!! The FCC's regulated the crap out of the phone companies but lets the cable companies get away with highway robbery!!!

8. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I'm not sure what the theoretical cap on cable is, but I doubt we'll see cable close to 15MB anytime soon.

I've read about the new Verizon service. Does it have the same distance requirements as DSL (3 miles from a switch)? If so, cable operators will continue to have a large market.

9. Steve F M

Steve F M Screenwriter

No its actually fiber to your house (FTTP). The possibilities are endless with data, video, and telephone. For the HDTV fanatics, Verizon will not be limited on the number of high def channels they can offer like the cable companies and satellite providers. They all have bandwith limitations, bit with fiber this is not the case.