What's new

Comcast/Motorola HDTV Box video question (1 Viewer)

Shane Morales

Second Unit
Comcast setup an HDTV box at my place today. I told the tech to hook it all up right to the TV, which he did. When he left I set about connecting everything to my receiver, etc, and noticed something I don't understand.

First, I have a Samsung DLP. In the back, it has three sets of inputs for component video. C1 is for 480i/480p. C2/3 are for 480p/740p/1080i. The tech hooked up the HDTV cable box to C1. I thought, hmm, this is supposed to be HDTV, lemmie hook it up to C2. I did and it didn't work - the screen gave me an 'unsupported mode' error or something similar. C3 didn't work either.

I tried it through my Denon 3803 with the same result.

Shouldn't an HDTV cable box be hooked up to the 480p/740p/1080i connections? I don't get it.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
The box is probably outputting 480i by default. Turn the box off and press the menu key. There should be an all text menu that allows you to choose the default output. Set it to 1080i.

Shane Morales

Second Unit
Thanks. Looked in the menu and it was already set to 1080i. But the 4:3 override was set to 480i. When I changed it to 480p it worked.

Now I just have to figure out what channels are HDTV. So far I can't find any.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
I don't know how it is in Maryland, but the HD channels here in the BOston area are in the 800's.

Alex_Santos

Second Unit
How did you get Comcast to give you an HDTV box? Im in Miami and everytime I ask them they tell me that they don't offer HDTV boxes. Is this your own box that Comcast just hooked up or did you get it from them? If from them, how the hell did you manage it?

Elias

Stunt Coordinator
Shane,

You correctly set the 4:3 override to 480p. I have a Samsung DLP and a Motorola HDTV box in Baltimore and ran into the same problem as you. Since I had the DVD player hooked into Component 1 and the cable box connected to Component 2, and the TV only processses 480i through the Component 1 input, I had to perform the same switch to 480p as you did. What astounded me is that the cable company technician had no idea how to do this (or if it was possible) and I had to find out from a friend. Cable technicians should really receive a thorough update on the nuances of setting up HDTV boxes with the newer TVs out there.

In Baltimore, the HDTV channels are: 172-Comcast Sportsnet, 173-ESPN, 178-Showtime, 179-HBO, 180-WMAR(ABC), 181-WBAL(NBC). HBO and Showtime HDTV channels are also in the 300's (identical to 178 and 179).

Enjoy the DLP!

Elias

Hank_P

Second Unit
Shane, I got my Comcast HD yesterday also. I think we had the same technician. Of course, he admitted up front that he didn't know that much about HD or even the difference between 480i and 1080i. So I gave him a crash course and he seemed to follow, but I can just imagine him trying to explain it to his next customer.

I had kind of found some discussion about the Motorola box they supplied so I was able to check/change the mode to 480p as soon as he left. I have to do some switching around in my rack now to get my toy in the loop. I also purchased a Zektor component switch box to hook into the loop. We flipped around a little last night looking at some of the HD stuff, but I won't be happy until I get my rack right, my remote with all the new codes to learn, and the first football in HD!

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
JeremyFr,

Who can I talk to to find out when HD cable will be available in my area? Comcast's CSRs don't know squat. Someone's got to know and I would love to talk to them.

Peace,

DM

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
I couldn't tell ya Dave I work up here in Washington for em and we only deal with Washington State. I wouldn't even have the slightest on who to contact.

Tod Golden

Stunt Coordinator
I live here in Minnesota and I was just told by a Comcast CSR that it should be available by the end of this month. Ok, and the check is in the mail.

It appears as though the only channels that will be broadcast in HD are HBO SHO and ESPN HD. It might be worth it to get it for the ESPN HD. I can get more HD broadcasts from my OTA tuner in my TV.

Just my .02 worth

Dan Stone

Stunt Coordinator
Who can I talk to to find out when HD cable will be available in my area? Comcast's CSRs don't know squat. Someone's got to know and I would love to talk to them.
Dave,

Your best bet would be to go to the AVS Forum and look under the HDTV Local Programming section. They have several threads going right now about availability in Florida. You'll have to check for which one is appropriate for your area, though, as my Florida geography skills are lacking.

Hope this helps,

Dan

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
Dan,

I've done that and actually Comcast is offering HDTV Cable in Ft. Myers, FL which is just right next door to Lehigh Acres where I live. I have high speed internet, but HD Cable is still not available. They have to "rebuild the system in my area," whatever that means.

My frustration is that I have never spoken to one CSR that knows a time table on rebuilding the system or would even know who to talk to. I'm not expecting to talk directly to the decision makers at Comcast, but I'd love to talk to someone who knows when the decision makers at Comcast are gonna pull the trigger to provide HD cable in my area.

It was the same way w/ the availability of high speed internet in my area. When they don't know an answer, they say "Just keep checking back with us." Who does business like that? Crazy!

Peace,

DM

Dan Stone

Stunt Coordinator
Dave,

Yes, it's frustrating. I went through the same agony and only about a month ago was able to get Comcast high speed Internet and HD at my place. Glad to see you've been keeping tabs on the AVS Forum for info about your area. That's one of the best sources for information and lots of times you'll find info there before the CSR's even know about it.

Unfortunately, the rebuild information is not released outside Comcast, nor internally to their CSR's generally, for competitive reasons. Have you received a postcard mailer from Comcast at all? You'll know you're getting close when you receive that. They have to mail that to you at least thirty days prior to the rebuild work being completed in your area.

Sorry that I don't have more specifics for you, but I hope this may be of some help.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks