Comcast Motorola 5100 help!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikePeroni, Dec 12, 2002.

1. MikePeroni

MikePeroni Stunt Coordinator

Got my HD box today!! Its awesome!! A couple questions though. My box has the latest firmware update as it has the 4:3 override in effect. I choose 480I over 480P for this option as it appears to make the analog channels look better.
    Now, onto HD. HBO HD, Showtime HD, and PBS look killer, my question is why does ABC HD, and NBC HD have side bars for their programming(I have a widescreen:Tosh 50h81)?? The other channels I mentioned dont, only ABC HD and NBC HD. When viewing this I cannot use my TVs stretch mode either.
    Is this because it was daytime programming(soaps). Will the Primetime stuff be in widescreen. Also why would they broadcast HD shows in 4:3? I thought the only format for HD was widescreen. Any help, suggestions, or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    ps. The Comcast component cables are very nice quality!!
    Mike[​IMG]

2. Ken Custodio

Ken Custodio Second Unit

I am not 100% sure, but I think CBS is the only network that broadcasts HD at times other than prime time. I think NBC only shows Leno in HD and a couple of other shows.

3. Jason Hennigan

Jason Hennigan Stunt Coordinator

Jason Hennigan
    Does your box have a DVI out?

4. MikePeroni

If it does, its not activated. Anyone have a guess on why ABC and NBC do daytime Hi Def in 4:3?? Last night ER was on in widescreen...hmmmm...Are the sports in widescreen or 4:3?

5. Bob Maged

Bob Maged Stunt Coordinator

You are confusing digital with hi-def. Non-hdtv programming makes up the vast majority of what ABC and NBC are broadcasting, even on the digital channels, so it is not widescreen and will display side bars. nbc.com lists hdtv programming in their program guide (click on "TV Schedule"). Also check out hidefguide.com to find all hdtv programming in your area.

6. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I am moving this to TV & HDTV Programming

7. MikePeroni

Bob, thank you for the links. Question, since the daytime shows are just digital, and not Hi def, why cant I use my TVs stretch modes to fill in the screen. Apparently it locks into 'full' only when given a Hi-Def feed...

8. Bob Maged

Bob Maged Stunt Coordinator

I am not positive but I think that the 50H81 will only stretch a 480i or 480p signal, so manually switch the 5100 output to 480i and see if that works for you.

9. MikePeroni

Bob, that does make sense, however if the ABC and NBC daytime stuff isnt in HD I should be able to stretch it, right??!!
    Unless, because the box recognizes it as an HD channel, it is upconverting the 480 to 1080i(and therefore locks into 'full' with no stretch available)...is that whats happening?
    Thanks again, Mike[​IMG]

10. Dan Stone

Dan Stone Stunt Coordinator

11. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I don’t know about your box, but my Hughes E86, only outputs a ‘full’ (16:9) screen when you select digital output from the STB. Therefore you can’t use your display’s ‘stretch’ modes.
    This can be overcome for SD stations, by selecting (from my STB) by selecting ‘side bars’ or other options, such as ‘full’. However these options do not exist for digital signals—as others have already mentioned, it’s not that they are HD, it’s that they are digital to begin with.
    One way to overcome this, is to switch to a SD station when you want to stretch something.
    For example, HBOHD and the regular HBO (at least on my DirectTV setup) have exactly the same programming. For programming that is not HD to begin with, the difference is that you get a widescreen version on HBOHD and a 4:3 version on standard HBO. If the format was originally 4:3, then you can’t stretch the telecast provided by HBOHD. But you can, if you choose on SD HBO.
    This can really be seen in programs that provide previews or upcoming programming. These are all SD. So you get a lot of 4:3 content. But the previews themselves might be for a movie that is in some widescreen format. Which means that you get a letterbox for the movie preview inside of a 4:3 box. Nothing can be done about this, other than switching to SD HBO. Or choose to watch real programming. [​IMG]