What's new

Comcast (Motoro5100) vs Direct TV (Which STB?) vs Dish ... Cable Modem, DSL, etc.... (1 Viewer)

ChrisA

Second Unit
I've been absent for around 6 months now and have finally gotten things under control. I just purchased a house and I'm looking to start my Internet service, and HDTV service from scratch. I would appreciate any feedback on advantages of one setup vs another setup with cost/best combo deal being somewhat of a factor.

1) I'm located in Philadelphia
2) I have a Dwin HD700 CRT, so 720p output is ideal/crucial
3) The Dwin HD700 only accepts RGBHV, and would require a transcoder to convert to RGBHV.
4) I don't watch much sports or TV so I don't require lots of channels, but I don't mind them either. I do like lots of high quality HDTV .

Regarding the above:

1) I would like to know the advantages/disadvantage of the new Comcast Digital Cable with the latest Motorola STB vs Direct TV vs Dish vs ???

2) Since this would be a complete new startup, I'm considering package deals for high speed Internet access. I don't need a home phone since my cell phone is my home phone. DSL vs Comcast Cable? Comcast is cheaper when you are a Comcast Digital Cable subscriber. Sattelite Internet?? DSL??

3) What is the best Direct TV STB that does 720p an offers the highest quality pic, high quality HDTV OTA tuner, and desireable features?

4) I am currently leaning toward getting Direct TV basic subscription, Comcast Cable for Internet only, and installing an HDTV antenna for OTA HDTV.... Any thoughts or other combos?

Thanks!!

Chris

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I have Directv and I install systems for Dish so I see and know both. Very little difference in price but Dish has 'America's top 50' for around $23 - Directv does not have 'basic' package that cheap.
Dish has Discovery HD and Directv has HDNet...both have HBO & ST HD
I got my Sony HD100 with OTA for $350 at an outlet store, the 200 is out now.
Check with Dish if they have a HD promo, you might get a good deal on a promo offer.

ChrisA

Second Unit
Is the Sony HD 200 the best Direct TV STB?

How does Comcast Digital Cable with the Motorola 5100 STB fit into the scheme of things?

Are sattelite Internet services comparable? I heard upload sucks on Sat internet.

I know I would need a transcoder to convert component into RGBHV if I went with Comcast Digital cable. I assume that with the Sony HD200, I can get RGBHV right out of the back. Does the Sony HD200 have an HD15 connection for output? Any luck of a STB with 5 BNC? :)

What has changed from the Sony HD100 to the Sony HD200? Any idea on how much the HD200 costs?

If I decide to go with Direct TV, any deals with free install? Where do I look for installation, service/setup?

Thanks,

Chris

ChrisA

Second Unit
Thanks... Those pics are the old room. Can't wait to get it installed in my new house... I'll be taking new pics in March...

ChrisA

Second Unit
I just ordered Direct TV offer with two free STANDARD STB and free installation. When he shows up in 2.5 weeks, I'll have him install the 3 LNB dish and the Sony HD-200 or Zenith STB, and he can put the two free standard res STB in the bedrooms. Then I can have him install an HDTV antenna with preamp....

Sound like a plan?

So where should I buy the Sony HD-200 or the Zenith, and does it include the dish and eveything I need???

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I would be surprised if he did all that.
I get paid by the number of recievers I install and generally thats how they gauge how much time you need before the next job. You better make that clear to the salesperson at directv or else you will not get what you planned.

No, generally the receiver comes with no dish and the 3 lnb is not standard.
Then I can have him install an HDTV antenna with preamp....
Yes and maybe she will be a beautiful woman with hot pants and a tear away braand give you a free Hu card....
Sorry but unless you want to pay extra, I sincerely doubt it but hey you can always try.
Good luck!
Grant

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
Satellite Internet is a waste of money, its only 400kbps download vs 1.5-2.5 on cable, and upload goes over you're dialup modem unless your willing to spend almost a grand on a 2 way dish system. Cable at least up here is 256-400kbps upstream.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks