What's new

Comcast high-def problems - please help !!! (1 Viewer)

MyDarkstar

Auditioning
Real Name
Vincent
I've been searching all around on these forums to find out if this specific problem has been brought up already & I couldn't find it. So, I'm sorry if this is something you are sick of hearing about. If it has already been addressed then please feel free to send me to another thread.

Here goes : I have Comcast HD digital service. My box is a Motorola 3416. I cannot get the HD channels to work consistently. If I watch them for about 20 minutes or longer they will freeze up & then go blank - and sometimes just come back with the message "This channel should be available soon" - or something to that effect. Sometimes the HD channels just won't work at all.

I am using an HDMI cable from the cable box to my TV. At first I thought it may have been the cable, but the coax cable does the same thing. I have contacted Comcast on this. After failing to solve the problem by remotely "resetting" my box, they gave that typical answer of "You must have a faulty box. We'll send a service man there to give you a new one."

I can't say that I am absolutely positive it is not the box. But it is a brand new box which arrived with the plastic still on it. My guess is that the service man will show up to my place (2hrs late of course), give me a new box, see that it works, and then say goodbye - and then 1hr later I will have the same problem all over again.

Does anybody know if there is something which needs to change in order for me to get consistent HD coverage ? I would be so grateful for any help I can get !!!

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
If it's working OK for a while and then cutting out it very well could be the box. It could also be that the signal level is flucuating or that there is a problem with cable coming into your house or the cable from the wall to your STB.

When the tech arrives, ask him/her to check the signal level at several points: the outside line from the main trunk, before it enters the house; the inside line where it come out of the wall; at the input to the STB. You're looking for adaquate signal levels at each point and also checking to make sure there isn't excessive loss between each point. Also, try to get the tech to watch each for several minutes, to see if there are any fluctuations.

FYI, if you just want to swap the STB you can take it to your local Comcast office and trade it for a new one. I've done this several times, twice when there was nothing wrong with the STB, but I knew COmcast was issuing new STBs with better features, such as larger hard drives.

Barry_B_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Barry
Does anybody know if there is something which needs to change in order for me to get consistent HD coverage ? I would be so grateful for any help I can get !!![/quote]

This isssue and the gerenal quality of the HD channels made me return to Direct TV. I switched from Direct TV because the signal was degrading so badly, but Comcast was worse for me. It took us a week to decide it wasn't working out. The Direct TV issue was corrected by having the dish moved out of the path of trees that had grown taller since installation.

Good luck with the Comcast resolution.

Lonnie

Auditioning
In the past, when the freezing up problems became too many, a technician would have to replace some power equipment at the nearby relay station. That would boost the signal strength back up and the HD stuff would be watchable again. After moving to a different location, this no longer happened to my cable so I have forgotten the exact name of the "booster" that he had to replace.

MyDarkstar

Auditioning
Real Name
Vincent

does anybody know the currently latest & greatest box Comcast is currently using ? I have the Motorola 3416. It's silver with an HDMI port, which I requested - but I was just wondering if there was a unit which is (for whatever reason) a better box ?

v

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
You will generally get whatever box is supported by the hardware/software that your local cable provider happens to have installed, and that can differ from place to place. Comcast facilities built to server newer subdivisions or even newer cities may have different equipment than that used in places where they started building out 20 years ago. Also Comcast has grown through mergers and acquisitions, so in a place like South Florida, where I live, some "Comcast" customers used to be served by a competitor, Adelphia Cable, so we're still using the Scientific Atlanta gear that was Adelphia's standard. There will probably have to be infrastructure changes before they can switch us over to Motoroloa STBs. (Which I'm looking forward to, since their TiVo interface DVR only runs on a Motorola platform and their current software blows chunks, not taking advantage of many of the features the hardware supports and using an interface that seems to have been designed by a near-sighted, color-blind gibbon.)

Regards,

Joe

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor

I believe it's about -5 dBmV, but I won't swear to it. That's at the point where it enters the house, before any splitters.

It was Lonnie who mentioned the booster amp.

pankarty

Grip
Real Name
pankarty
thanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksth anksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthan ksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanks thanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksth anksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthan ksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanks thanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksth anksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthan ksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanks thanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksth anksthanksthanksthanksthanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Righ
Recent bookmarks