What's new

Comcast HDTV! (1 Viewer)

Tim K

Second Unit
Please, let me reiterate...my RPTV is properly calibrated using Avia. All of my modes and inputs have been calibrated. Contrast has been adjusted properly. No, I did not watch more than the recommended amount of 4:3 material.

The difference between these black bars and those of a 2.35:1 dvd are the source of the black bar, and the image edges. If you have not watched 4:3 material that is broadcast digitally by the networks over the Motorola 5100, then you do not understand. With the 5100 in 1080i, letterbox mode, the 4:3 display gets black bars on the sides. Stretch modes do not help b/c the bars are part of the image and are treated as such and stretched themselves. These "black bars" are far from the "clean" black bars you get when you watch a DVD in 2.35:1 aspect ratio. I'm not sure whether the black part is broadcast by the networks or created by the cable box itself. The edges of the image are not clean. There is flickering, brightness, and an uneven image where the edge of the picture becomes the "black bars". I believe it is these edges that cause the problem. The burn-in I have is not serious, as it is only visible in some scenes where the image, colors, and brightness is right. Often in dark scenes the lines are visible...not bad, but noticeable. I hope that over time as the CRT's get used more and more, the image will even out and the lines will become less visible. I believe that they have already faded somewhat. I almost never watch 4:3 material on the digital channels, and when I do I go through the annoying routine of switching the 5100 to 480i mode, pan and scan. This allows me to chop of the edges of the picture and replace them with gray bars created by my TV. This method is safe in my opinion.

I post this only to warn people that it is POSSIBLE to get burn-in regardless of how well you calibrate your system. I don't want people to think that it is something to worry about either, just something that can happen if you don't take the right precautions. One of those precautions happens to be NOT watching 4:3 digital broadcasts.

If you don't believe me, thats fine...but the proof is on my TV. Just do others a favor and do not preach that burn-in cannot occur on a properly calibrated set. There are other factors in place that you may not be aware of.

Bottom line: Don't watch 4:3 digital broadcasts with the black bars. Either switch to the pan and scan mode to allow your TV to add its own bars or watch the analog broadcast.

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
Tim I understand exactly what your getting and and trying to explain and you do bring up a valid point as to the edges of a 4:3 image being broadcast "windowboxed" in a 16:9 frame. The black sidebars are broadcast as part of the picture. The flickering is what seems to me be out of band data in the frame edge that normally is not seen on a regular TV.

Jeremy

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Tim, maybe you have your underscan set too low? I have seen those crappy edges when I watch the 1080i signal through my 480i input, but not through my 1080i input. Of course, this is a moot point if the black bars are in the video signal itself.

And Tim, don't take our skepticism too personally. We don't know you well enough to know what you know. Too many people start complaining about their TV's (or whatever) and not realise that the problem isn't with the TV, it's with what they've done.

Again, no offense, we (or at least I) just have to have more info before I feel the need to worry.

Omard.

Stunt Coordinator
Does anybody have any info on the new channels for Comcast HD? When are they coming and what will they be?

Tim K

Second Unit
Mark, believe me, I've been on this forum long enough to realize how many people have no clue and blame the equipment. I understand the skepticism for that reason. That is why I was trying to make it clear that I have a clue. The flickering line is the edge of the picture where it meets the black bars as JeremyFr described. As I said, it can be avoided, just a warning that it can be a problem.

As for Omar's question...I think it really varies by your location. The only information I have on future HD channels is that they are still in negotiations with Viacom (who own CBS, MTV, etc) and until that is finalized there won't be a CBS-HD feed on Comcast. Keep in mind this negotiation has been ongoing for over a year now.

Where I am Comcast currently offers:

ABC-HD
NBC-HD
PBS-HD
INHD1
INHD2
SHO-HD (free with Showtime pkg)
HBO-HD (free with HBO pkg)
Comcast SportsNet HD (phila area)
ESPN-HD
Fox Widescreen (not HD but some widescreen programming)

Craig Lorden

Auditioning
Hey Mark,

My guy was a Latin male about 5'5" and i couldnt mention about his size because he was wearing baggy clothes. i believe he had a gotee also, None the less, a great tech for the job he was doing.

Jeremy,

I suppose there is some truth to what you mentioned, however My partner and myself are paid on a job basis, and i can tell you that there are times when we are at a job for hours after the time frame where we were paid up too. We dont mind (too much) taking a hit on the money when the situation calls for it. Its kind of a "you dont have to like it, you just have to do it" attitude. It creates less pain if we just stick around to do things properly. and in the end, everyone(else) is happy, lol.

There are still a few good people out there. I just happen to work with some of them.

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
Craig I'm sorry if I generalized too much I suppose it really goes both ways there are awesome techs both Comcast & Contractor and then there are truely horrible techs both Comcast & Contractors. Here in Washington it seems that many of the Contractors fit in the truely horrible section vs the awesome section. I guess alot of it has to do with that many of them were fired for one reason or another by Viacom/TCI/AT&T throughout the years and now work for one of the respective contracting companies.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Tim, I have Comcast HD, have the 5100, and have watched 4:3 digital broadcasts of the local ABC affiliate (WTAE-DT in Pittsburgh) with the black side bars. Not a whole lot, but a reasonable amount. No sign of any burn-in here that I have detected.

I can see where a bad edge could cause a problem. But for me there are no ragged, flickering, uneven edges where the black bars meet the picture. It is clean, straight and smooth, just like the horizontal edge of the black bars on a 2.35:1 movie, just like the vertical edge of the black side bars supplied by my Panasonic RP-91 DVD player in progressive mode.

So perhaps it is something about your TV settings (underscan?), or your particular 5100 box, or your local Comcast digital channels.

Nathan_F

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan
My Comcast here does include CBS-HD; the negotiations are with each local provider. I am currently waiting on my local ABC station to get things on the ball so I can get Monday Night Football!

Here's what I have
CBS-HD
NBC-HD
PBS-HD
INHD1
INHD2
ESPN-HD
I would also have SHO-HD and HBO-HD if I subscribed to those movie packages.

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
Glenn: what it comes down to is the edges are controlled by the station supplying the feed the bars are added before transmission so what is taking place is that they are not putting clean edge's in the image whether it just be the particular equipment said station is using for upconversion or whatever but its in the source not the supplier i.e. Comcast or the Customer Equipment. There's no way around this its just the same as if they decided to broadcast with a huge green line down the middle of the picture Comcast would have nothing to do with it and neither would the cable box/tv.

For instance when watching the US Open on INHD the 4:3 images in that transmission have perfect clean edges actually even slightly darker black than the black side bars during commercials This is obviously something being added in by them.

Nathan_F: The negotiations are with Viacom/CBS the reason that some markets have CBS is due to whether the local station is O&O by CBS or independent. CBS/Viacom is Negotiating new contracts with Comcast regarding carriage of all Viacom networks, i.e. MTV,CBS,Nickelodian, etc. It is rumored this will be completed sometime shortly after the 1st of the year.

Tim K

Second Unit
It is rumored this will be completed sometime shortly after the 1st of the year.
When I first got my HD setup last july they told me they should have the CBS-HD feed in "about 2 months". When I talked to them 6 months later they said "about 2 months". Its now been 15 months. I'm not holding my breath on this one!!!

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Those of us with CBS O&O stations will probably get CBS-HD about 2 weeks after the Super Bowl. :angry:

Derek B

Stunt Coordinator
In the San Francisco Bay Area you can get HD Cable through RCN cable service. They offer about 5 channels. They also have the DCT 5100 Motorola cable box which has digital audio outputs. I will be getting this in a couple of days.

Does anyone here have any experience with cable TV digital audio they would like to share?

Thanks,
Derek

Chester II

Stunt Coordinator
Tyler dude,

I live in Berkeley and have Comcast with HDTV. I can see NBC, PBS, and HBO programs in big creamy widescreen. Comcast has been upgrading the Bay Area in sections for the last year or so. Maybe you are still in an area waiting to be upgraded.

Dude,

Chester II

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
As soon as Comcast in the DFW midcities area gets WB in HD (for Smallville and Angel) I'll upgrade. Well, for $5/month I'm thinking of upgrading right now...but the WB would push me over the edge.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks