What's new

Comcast HDTV tuners (Hopefully not wrong forum) (1 Viewer)

Gary.Blevins

Agent
Just thought I would let everyone in the Sacramento,CA area know that Comcast is now offering their HDTV tuners for $5 per month on top of the digital cable box cost.
They will carry ABC, NBC, PBS, Showtime, and HBO. (No CBS..) It will have an antenna input (per Comcast, I haven't seen the unit)so that you can get the other channels.

My Tosh 50" Cinema Series gets delivered Saturday, and HDTV gets installed next Friday.

Kinda like Christmas in May!!!:D

Gary

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
I spoke with a Sacramento CSR on Tuesday. She told me the equipment cost was only the $5.00 monthly charge for the Motorola DCT5100. I think the box handles both the analog and digital spectrum. Since the analog box rents for $3.25/mo. it's only $1.75/mo. up-charge for HDTV capability.

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
if its the 5100 it does not feature an antenna in its only an enhanced DCT capable of decoding HDTV over cable only.

Gary.Blevins

Agent
Waaahhh...I guess that's what I get for asking a direct question like "Does it have a connection for an external antenna to receive the broadcast HDTV channels that Comcast does not provide?" The answer was "Yes it does. "

Oh well, It will still be nice to only pay $5 per month to get my HDTV feet wet. I will do some more research, and get a full fledged HDTV receiver later.

Gary

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
yeah I dont know what they were talking about, but I play with these things all day long hehe and there is no external antenna capability, curse motorola for that one:0 hehe but its still an awesome box I just cant wait till they start opening up the other features like the built in cable modem etc.

Gary.Blevins

Agent
Thanks for your help guys! Now if I could just get Good Guys to deliver my friggin' TV! :angry: Keep having "Delivery" issues... Hopefully tonight...

Gary

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
$5 isn't bad, comcast here in Southern MD is charging me $12/mo for the box, plus another $16 for digital cable (which I need to get HD). So $28/mo really for 5 stations.

James^Brian

Agent
I too live in the Sac area, and have DirectTV for the football package. I'm about ready to purchase "61 Samsung DLP, but what good is it if I can't pick up HDTV. Is Comcast sending HDTV for the local stations? Would I be best off just adding an antenea as well as getting an Direct TV HDTV decoder/dish? I assume that I will be able to run my antenae feed into the DTV decoder.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Comcast in the Boston area is $2 extra for the Box and no extra charges for the premium channels if you already subscribe to them. They also have HD available without having to subscribe to digital cable. Not bad if you ask me. My mom is getting a new Toshiba 50H82 and the Comcast box this weekend. I'll let you know how it is. Me, I have to wait until Cox Communications gets HD, so I'll see it about 2010!

Michael Reilly

Auditioning
Thanks Gary. I just called up Comcast to get the HD package. They are coming May 16th. I am excited! Directv was just too expensive to upgrade all the equipment. I can't wait until espn and nbatv are available. Thanks again for the info.

TrevorST

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know if the HD boxes have a variable output.. I need to have 480P and 1080i depending on the channel I am watching. My pannasonic TV switches to 16x9 with a 1080i input but most of the programs we watch are 4x3. So I want to be able to easily switch from 480P to 1080i depending on the channel I am watching.

Matt Weldy

Second Unit
anybody have any idea on when comcast will have the new motorola box. I dont know the exact model number but is has a pvr in it plus other things. If you go to motorolas website you can find info on it.

Gary.Blevins

Agent
Hey James^Brian,
As I was told (though I am not sure the Comcast rep knew what she was talking about), Comcast will be showing ABC, NBC, PBS, HBO, and Showtime in HDTV.

Gary

Derek Iverson

Stunt Coordinator
I agree Derek. Have you heard an ETA's?
Not really. I called them and they said that Portland is on their “priority” list. I asked what that was supposed to mean and they said maybe by next year. Of course, they [AT&T/Paragon] used to promise all kinds of things when I asked when cable internet was coming. Well, we have the cable internet, now we just need HDTV! If I get tired of waiting I'll just get DirecTV or Dish Network.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks