What's new

Comcast HDTV and no STB box for OTA? (1 Viewer)

Bryan G

Grip
Sorry if this is the incorrect forum, but did not see one where this clearly fit.

I read on another forum that HDTV signals are carried in the standard off air package that is about $9 a month, both analog NTSC and HD signals.

This is the quote from a forum member in Chicago area.

"Comcast is currently sending 8-VSB HD broadcast feeds over analog cable. A digital cable box would have to be bypassed in order for a OTA tuner to recieve the HD signal from the cable."

I know that if you call Comcast they will tell you, you have to be at the digital service level and purchase their set top to receive HDTV. That may be true for higher tier level services that may be scrambled like Basic service ESPNHD or Subscription service HBOHD.

I don't have cable, so can't try this test.

Can someone that has an integrated QAM/ATSC tuner and Comcast HDTV cable try connecting the coax straight into their DTV input and scan for channels and see what HD channels you can get? I would appreciate it greatly and be interested in knowing what you come up with.

Regards,

Bryan

Bryan G

Grip
Bueller, Bueller, Bueller, Anyone?

Come on, does no one have Cable with HDTV and an integrated tuner that can please give this a try?

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
I'm sorry to say that whoever posted that was completely wrong. HDTV is sent out using QAM 64 or QAM 256 depending on the cable system, most Comcast systems use QAM256 due to its increased bandwidth capabilities over QAM 64 and 8-VSB. 8-VSB can only send 19.4Mbps per 6Mhz channel where as QAM 256 can fit nearly double that.

Some newer TV's have QAM decoders built in so you could use the built in tuner to view unencrypted digital cable channels, which will only be the local's in HD and thats it.

Later as cablecard comes out you'll be able to rent an access card from the cableco to access channels like HBO, Showtime, and other digital channels.

But to make this very long answer short, no cableco's transmit 8-VSB over there cable networks so hooking an OTA reciever to a cable line will do nothing for you.

Jeremy

Bryan G

Grip
Jeremy,

Thanks for the response. I just was trying to confirm if Comcast was sending the OTA HD channels in either 8VSB or QAM. Whether it is 8VSB or QAM is insignificant. I have newer TV with both, so connecting it will give me just what I am looking for, the local HDTV channels. Remember my request for the test was for someone with an integrated ATSC and QAM tuner see if they get local HDTV. Like I said, I don't have cable, but have E*. Where I live it can be difficult to pickup locals via OTA antenna so having the option to purchase subbasic to get local OTA HDTV would be a nice option to have. Then I could bag the E* locals and go with cable.

So this

-----------------------------

But to make this very long answer short, no cableco's transmit 8-VSB over there cable networks so hooking an OTA reciever to a cable line will do nothing for you.

-----------------------------

Is not true in my case.

Thanks again.

Bryan

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
Ok You still wont be able to get the locals through cable if you're local cableco does not have carriage agreements to carry the HD feed's.

Just because your local cableco carry's the locals does not mean they carry the HD feed's as well.

For instance there are 14 locals in HD in my area, only 2 are available off cable currently even though the 14SD feed's by those same channels are of course all available.

Your local cableco has to negoiate with each network/local affiliate for carriage rights to the HD feed in order to carry it.

Unfortunately a cableco cannot just pick those OTA hd signals and pass them along there cable just because they carry said stations SD feed.

So before you do anything check with your local cableco to see what locals they carry in your given area.

Jeremy

Bryan G

Grip
Jeremy,

Thanks for the advice. I already know what they carry in my area and it is only ABC, NBC currently. PBS to come shortly and no idea on CBS, UPN or WB.

My question was of a technical nature. If this worked, then limited OTA via cable is better than no OTA via antenna.

Thanks for the input.

Bryan

redalio

Auditioning
Real Name
Redalio E Ocampo
You know my router says 256QAM for most of the downstream but says 8 vsb. Now my signals not are not digital now. I been getting choppy signals because of the Cable line that does 8 VSB and 256QAM. Cable operators are permitted to remodulate digital broadcast signals from 8 VSB to 64 or 256 QAM. Cable operators are not required to pass-through 8 VSB. That means only digital only. Remember when Jeep gas tanks said Unleaded Fuel Only because lead is hazardous and made people incompetent. http://transition.fcc.gov/mb/engineering/digital.html says 8 vsb. Now my signals not are not digital now. I been getting choppy signals because of the Cable line that does 8 VSB and 256QAM. Cable operators are permitted to remodulate digital broadcast signals from 8 VSB to 64 or 256 QAM. Cable operators are not required to pass-through 8 VSB. That means only digital only. Remember when Jeep gas tanks said Unleaded Fuel Only because lead is hazardous and made people incompetent. http://transition.fcc.gov/mb/engineering/digital.html So the TV is 8 VSB and Internet is 256QAM. Before my QAM was 64 and they upped it to 256. http://www.firebird-systems.com/graphics/dct210/digital-tv-tuner-hdmi-dct210.shtml on this url, I understand that 8 VSB is Analog Cable TV.. When my Router was 64QAM the TV was a steady stream. Also Comcast can control your TV too. When I did a TV reset way back. I was surprised to see digital channels again. Maybe I need this item http://www.rldrake.com/product-act1000.php 1943 is same year Drake and my father in law born. So when it does 8 VSB to QAM Transcoding, maybe I can get my cable back!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks