What's new

Comcast HDTV = 2 boxes? (1 Viewer)

Jeff W.

Stunt Coordinator
I just ordered Comcast HDTV and the lady said I will get 2 boxes? One for the regular cable and another one for (only) HDTV channels? That sounds crazy, is this true?

MikeTC

Stunt Coordinator
Not my Comcast, we have one that does regular, digital and HDTV. I don't think she know what she is talking about.

Jeff W.

Stunt Coordinator
Where do you live? I really hope it's not 2 boxes.

I thought they used the Motorola DCT-5100 with DVI output.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

The Motorola DCT-6200 has a DVI output, and is the box Comcast is currently installing for new HD subscribers -- a co-worker had his installed yesterday. I have the DCT-5100, which is an older box.

And, no, you should not need two cable boxes. Chalk it up to another Comcast customer service rep who doesn't know what he/she is talking about (there are a lot of them).

Jeff W.

Stunt Coordinator
Hm, the Comcast web site linked me to a PDF manual of the DCT-5100. Maybe it just hasn't been updated... Either way, I just hope its a) 1 box b) looks better than the crap analog cable I have now and c) has DVI out because I'm out of YPbPr inputs...

Things are different here sometimes because we are ex-ATTBI. For example, the HSI has issues with certain modems...

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

You may have to request a box with DVI, because the standard one's are not activated if they have the DVI port at all. I'd specify this when you book the install.

Jeff W.

Stunt Coordinator
Well, too late. But I am paying $15 for the install, so if they bring me a box without DVI I'll make them bring another one :)

Jorge M

Stunt Coordinator
It's not enough for the box to have the physical DVI output (which in my experience they all do). The firmware must be updated to activate the output, and not all areas do it. I don't know why, but I presume it's politics. Good luck.

Alan Wise

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff,

That lady you spoke to is in need of a drug test.
As others have said Comcast uses the Motorola 6200 box, and it covers both SD and HD.

I have had this particular box since January. Just recently the Boston area got the ability to use the DVI out put.
I have it connected via the DVI to my new Hitachi 50V500A LCD-RPTV and love the picture.

Good Luck, Al. Wise

James St

Supporting Actor
Are you getting a HD-DVR? If so then you would be getting the 6200 cable box and 6208 HD-DVR unit. Otherwise it's one box. Either a 5100 or 6200.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks