What's new

Comcast HD without digital? (1 Viewer)

KyleC

Supporting Actor
I just bought a Sony 42WE655 today. I want to use the CC but I have no need of digital cable. We don't watch any of it (we had it before). Can I get just HD channels added from Comcast?

KyleC

Supporting Actor
I wonder if I'll have better luck going to the local office rather than calling the 800 #?

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I have Comcast for the local HD channels and all I have is the basic service. Heck I didn't even need to rent their HD box since my TV has a built in tuner it was able to get the HD channels just by connecting the cable.

KyleC

Supporting Actor
Patrick, my TV also has an HD Tuner built in but don't I need the Cable card to access them? I wouldn't even mind paying the extra $ if they were reasonable and gave me all the HD channels but not digital. We had digital for almost a year and never watched it at all. I also don't need On-Demand or any premium channels. I'll have to see what they say, maybe if I threaten to cancel and go to Voom they'll change their mind?

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
Just plug in your cable and see what you get.

Without a cable card, I get all the local HD stations, but they are kind of numbered weird (channel numbers).

KyleC

Supporting Actor
So basically all I'll lose out on is ESPN, Discovery, and INHD? That's not a bad tradeoff.

KyleC

Supporting Actor
I just got back from the comcast office. I was told that I can get digital basic and a cable card for only 9.95 extra a month. This seems rather low to me and I'm very skeptical. The next available appointment isn't until 1/15 so I have time to play with the tuner and see what I get without a cable card.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
You shouldn't need to subscribe to digital cable to recieve the HD. I have Time-Warner so I'm not sure what Comcast offers, but T/W offers a $6.95/month HD subscription block which includes ESPN, HDNET, HDNET Movies, INHD and INHD2. If you could get that, I would forgo the digital route and just subscribe to the HD package.

Bruce

KyleC

Supporting Actor
Well I e-mailed comcast when I got home just to verify everything. I got a response and the woman at the office was wrong, here is what comcast told me in an e-mail:

So basically all HD channels are only $5, but for $5 more I get like 20 digital channels too. So for only $15 more I think I'm getting a pretty good deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks