Comcast HD setup advice needed

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikePeroni, Dec 5, 2002.

1. MikePeroni

MikePeroni Stunt Coordinator

Well, Im getting hooked-up early next week and have some questions:

1. Did Comcast provide dig. coax or optical for audio, or am I on my own...
    2. I was going to switch component video through my reciever(Integra). Does the reciever just pass through what ever signal it gets, or does the source have to be selected ; Video 1, Video 2...
    3. How do I know if my box has the firmware update? Apparently if you DONT have the update, you have to go into the box menu and change the output when you go from Hi def to analog or you get black bars and cant use the stretch modes. Is this correct?
    4. Finally, do the analog stations look as good as before through the component cables, or do I need/keep the regular coax to the tv as well or what?!

Thanks for any help in advance, the Comcast people didnt know squat about their own product (what a shocker) so thank God for this forum!!

p.s. Tv is a Toshiba 50h81

2. Van Walker

Van Walker Auditioning

I just got comcast hdtv this week so I'll tell you what I know. I picked up the motorola 5100 box at the local office and connected it myself. They did not have any cables for it yet so I used my own component and optical cables. From what I've been hearing, the comcast techs often don't have the proper cabling when they come so you may want to get your own.

To check the firmware update on the motorola: With the TV on and set to the input you are using for the box, turn off the motorola and press select on the box within a couple of seconds. This brings up the diagnostics menu. Scroll down to item 8, "code objects" and press select. There will be an entry for firmware. Mine is at 2.14. 2.40 is the version automatically changes the output, apparently Comcast is upgrading the firmware gradually.

My box also come in 480i mode by default, to reach setup menu to change to 1080i press menu on box while power is off.

The analog stations look pretty bad through the box currently but some report that the new firmware helps this.

Hope this helps.
    Van

3. MikePeroni

MikePeroni Stunt Coordinator

Van, thank you. Is there an alternative way to watching analog stations such splitting the coax, running one to the cable box, and one to the tv coax input and switch the input on the tv??( pain in the ass, but maybe it would be worth it for better quality). How much did your analog signal degrade from before the HD box?! Thanks again..
    BTW, whats the best show youve seen in HD yet?[​IMG]

4. Van Walker

Van Walker Auditioning

I have mine split right and watch regular cable through the coax input. When you watch through the cable box it has that block over compressed look. The box also has a coaxial output on it but I haven't tried it. Here is a link I found with PDF diagrams of hookup options:motorola pdf
    The sharpest picture I have seen yet has been Jay Leno. Some of the movies on HBO have looked pretty good. What has really stood out to me has been the textures on clothing, you can see the weave of a sweater or a nice suit.

5. Van Walker

Van Walker Auditioning